No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work! On those tails, I would recommend spray another coat or two on. Then wet sand and buff them. They will have a nice factory looking shine and not the dull look niteshades normally has. I have mine down and the smoke is subtle like yours. I'll try to find a decent picture.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
      Great work! On those tails, I would recommend spray another coat or two on. Then wet sand and buff them. They will have a nice factory looking shine and not the dull look niteshades normally has. I have mine down and the smoke is subtle like yours. I'll try to find a decent picture.
      You mean another coat or two of clear? I did notice them to be a little dull. I gave two coats of clear but it might not have be enough.
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Finished the wiper hose addition with new hoses and clips. My nozzles are fine, I just need to aim them. I ordered all the OEM parts for the install and tried to figure out how it all went together. I searched for pictures on the internet and even though I didn't find an original picture of the car in this area as it left the factory to confirm, but I believed I figured it out or at least it makes sense to me. Also, our cars did not come with the factory hood cover but I do know which holes are used for it so I used the other ones for the hose path. Pics taken at night. Now just need new wiper arms or used ones with good splines on it, to install on the linkage.

Comment

SEM prep and treatment to the trim under the front windshield:

Before: (wet after simple green washed)

After:(full prep and spray down)

Here are the arms after SEM prep and paint I got at the junkyard and the extra new trim pieces. Then I find out, the the arms are actually two driver side from the car I pulled it. So out $5 for one arm. Need to go back to get passenger side.

Comment

I received my OEM spray nozzles which were cheaper than aftermarket from my source. I would like the heated ones but here in S. FL, not needed. Also got my new arms. Now I realize that SWF arms and Bosch ones are a little different but the angle is the same.

Here is a pic of them installed and now my wiper system is complete rebuilt minus the water tank. I have the frameless wipers from before and highly recommend them even though they are double the cost of the regular ones. I believe our stock size is 20" on both arms, but I might get 19" for the passenger side not to hit the windshield edge trim. Anyone else have this issue. I aimed the nozzles per the factory repair manual and now I move one to my suspension upgrade.

Comment

Here is small teaser pic of my next project which I have had in a box for the last 3 years in storage. I need tires very soon, so instead of getting new ones, just going to install my e30 m3 5-lug suspension. First thing is to rebuild the brakes. Here are the front brakes which I started to clean but ran out of brake clean. I am looking at options to powder coat them myself as having them down will be too expensive for me. Brakes are huge and heavy when I saw them for the first time. Can't wait for the stopping power upgrade.

Comment

Here is a picture of one of the calipers and carriers cleaned up with different wire wheels and some brake clean. I was doing this myself in the meantime while deciding to paint or powder coat the calipers. I still need to some some corners and was going to use the small wire wheel on the Dremel but I decided to powder coat them gloss black as I found a shop near me that is cheaper than most and great quality. Dropped them off today and since he sandblasts them before, I don't have to do the other side. The flash make it look dark/dirty is some corners.

Comment

Decided on powder coat, gloss black. They came out awesome and very nice in person IMO. Picture is at night with flash so not the best but more pics to come of it installed. I got new OEM bleeder valves, guide pin bushing kit and new ATE seals ready to install. Will do it this week. Next is to order pads, rotors, pad sendor and m3 sway bar links. Then to check condition of control arms and my AKG offset bushings. I can save $$ if I can reuse them after 3 years of use and hope nothing is really worn.

Comment

I got a pic of some OEM items for the calipers. I added the new bleeders, new guide bushings and caps and cleaned out the old guide pins. Next is the piston install. Will submit pic of it put together. Might have to wait until the 26th to do it, unless I can sneak it in tomorrow.

Comment

I received my special lube for the caliper piston install. From Dow Corning. It does not melt and does not mix with brake fluid. Its what the Porsche guys use. Not very cheap but made install very easy. Brake fluid was not working. Very very little tolerance on the seals and the piston. ATE has a special lube, which is not Plastilube but over $30 for a tube and not available in the states. Other brands have something that should work. Plastilube has been used but it is not designed for it and didnt want to take the chance.

Here is the newly powder caliper with guides, bushings, and piston installed. Still waiting on my other parts so I can install it all.

Comment

Got a new TRE fuel pump as I still hunt my rough idle. Glad I replaced it as it is much smoother but still a little rough. Looking at O2 next. The original pump was stamped BMW so it might have been the original or at least youngest age possible, 13 years as my car joined our family back in 2001 and the pump has never been replaced. The car sat without moving for 4 years locally before my dad bought it for my sister back then. Glad to get in there to replace it. I have 4 pictures but I had to recover them as my wife deleted them from the digital camera. I recovered two of them but only the thumbnail is viewable. Used my dremel to cut off the bottom lip and the rest was straight forward. Hightly recommend due to price, warranty and it is very quiet. On to the pics:

New pump:

Old Removed:

New pump with old frame:

Installed a little cleaning of area:

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
                          You mean another coat or two of clear? I did notice them to be a little dull. I gave two coats of clear but it might not have be enough.
                          Sorry for the very delayed response. Yes I would wet sand and give another two coats of clear. Then once they're suffeciently dried, wet sand with 1500 then 2000 grit and hit them with an orbital and some polishing compound (I prefer 3M perfect it).

Here was mine.
                          Before:

After

The same products work fantastic on the paint too.

Keep up the work, your level of OCD and attention to detail is utterly insane. E30's need more people like you.
                          91 318is M50 swapped
                          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Thanks and will follow up on your advice.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                            Sorry for the very delayed response. Yes I would wet sand and give another two coats of clear. Then once they're suffeciently dried, wet sand with 1500 then 2000 grit and hit them with an orbital and some polishing compound (I prefer 3M perfect it).

Here was mine.
                            Before:

After

The same products work fantastic on the paint too.

Keep up the work, your level of OCD and attention to detail is utterly insane. E30's need more people like you.

Comment

Nice work on the 18is. I am up in Orlando and just pulled mine out of "hibernation."

I have started my punch list, (again). Looking at your rebuild has brought some other items to the table. I like the tails. Very clean! We have both taken some similar paths. I dyed my grey carpet charcoal and replaced the fabric grey/blue interior with black leather.

The seat fabric you used is very tight. Red belts, nice touch.

Question. My front seats sag. What do you do to tighten/rebuild the support for the seat bottom?

PM sent

Comment

Actually I will be in Tampa for work this weekend. Heading out in about an hour but with a company rental.

thanks for the comments. Regarding your seat, if the bottom is sagging, are you talking about the foam or the support frame which holds the foam. There probably is a metal weld or the spring section that broke off loose, so the support just sags when you sit on the seat. Are both seats doing the same thing? I guess you need to describe the sagging part in more detail. You best best is to remove the seat and look from the bottom up for loose metal pices.

Comment

Working...
                                X