No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got time this weekend to work on my driver door panel. Here is a pic of the panel with the new foam and then me working on it. Small teaser. I need to touch up the armrest and map pocket with my OEM trim paint. Then I can install it and work on the otherside.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Here is a pic of the rear area all done. Need to give the rear section carpet another coat as I wanted to go easy to test it out. Everything is much darker as the camera flash lightens it up. I also received my micro suede headliner from Kevin and some extra piece so i can cover the sunroof visor panel like I did the rear deck. Thanks Kevin.

Here is the headliner. Can't really tell from the pic but very goo quality. Will try to install it prior to painting car and worst case is while I prep it for paint as I will remove the glass prior to painting.

Comment

I was going to install the driver door panel last week, but the day before, my lock cylinder decided to break. I was only able to lock and not unlock. The spring and little arm broke off. I ordered the BMW rebuild kit, had to wait 4 days and using some online procedures, I got it back together to keep using my key. Took about an hour as I was taking time and lube made everything slippery. But after putting it together, my key, which was original, would sometimes not work. After looking at things and almost taking it apart again, I decide to get my BMW spare which was a copy that was done about 7 years ago when my sister had the car. The key was actually about 2mm longer. After inspection, the tip had dulled out over the years on the original BMW key and was not able to reach the last new tumbler in the cylinder. So if you have lock issues, check you key also. Here is a picture, not the best, of the new cylinder. Second is the pic of the keys and you can see the tip. I hope to install the new panel after work as I need to touch up the arm handle. Already did the map pocket.

Comment

Well this weekend the wifey let me have the whole weekend before the holidays takes our time and then our first newborn gets here in Feb.

I finished the driver door panel, a little harder than I thought to recover as it is much bigger than the rears.

I then started to remove the carpet so I can try to have it back in the car with a new color. Here are pics of the removal. I ended up cutting around the AC box. Also you can see how dirty and stained my gray carpet is. I will end up using the Colorond product, color black, which I used for the rear section under the rear seat. I have 2 cans and hope that it will be enough since I am going from gray to black.

I then saw somehting I found under my e28 m5 a few years back, RUST around the accelerator pedal. Other than that, nice, red and clean. I then decided to treat it like I did my battery box with POR-15 rust care. Here a few pics of the progress. I need it to dry fully to do the insulation on the driver side, so will complete that tomorrow. I ordered a new gas pedal as mine was warped due to the rust. I did do the passenger side insulation with Peel and Seal from Lowes. That stuff is great.

Comment

Quick update, received my OEM BMW lighted blank key. Went to a local locksmith that does BMW keys for old cars and he did it for free, left $5 tip. Got a new OEM lighted key for under $25.

While waiting for my carpet to dry from the deep cleaning before the paint job, some of my other parts came in. A new gas pedal as the other one was warped and a few nuts for the seats as the original have lots of rust. I also got my drain blind plug caps. Instead of metal, they are plastic and have a nice tigh fit. The e30 part has been superseded by the e90 part. Part number is 41007140847 in case anyone would like to know if they are doing some body work on their e30. Here are a few pics of the the plugs. I did driver and passenger side.

Comment

Got a little more done today over the holiday break as I wait for some parts to finish my carpet color conversion. I was bored and an idea hit me from my e28 m5. Here are the before and after using the BMW matched black trim paint I have be using on the interior pieces. I still need to give it another coat as I ran out of paint, and need to do the female receptacle. My new supply comes in tomorrow which has more paint for the carpet. Looks like 3 cans are needed as I am taking my time and brushing between coats to keep the fibers soft.

Before:

After:

I also got my new accelerator pedal, OEM from BMW as my old one was warped. I also decided to try something that I did on my e28 m5. I got the aluminum pedal set from BMW for an e46 m3. It comes with rubber inserts that can be swapper after they wear down. I was scared with the gas pedal as the e28 shares the same pedal rubber pads as the e30 for the clutch and brake, but different for the gas pedal. But all is good. Kit is under $100 from BMW and comes with templates and hardware. Just drill to install.

Comment

Installed the pedals today. For those wanting to know, BMW part number: 35000304642. Straight forward on sticking the template on and drilling. Just used a pilot size first. Also the gas pedal is not the same shape in the bottom left hand corner as it curves different but not noticeable unless inspected closely.

Here is a pic of one of them rubber insert and plate together to see how the rubber grips stick out and will wear over time.

Here is before. Don't mind the missing carpet. It will look much better to have a black carpet instead of dark grep. Also have an OEM floor mat set on its way.

The template stuck on..comes with peel back adhesive sheet.

Finished installation. (looks a little off but its not. Must be angle and that clutch pedal sits forward a little more than brake.

After:

Comment

I finished with the carpet after changing it from gray to black. Tomorrow i will install it if weather permits. Came out nice and still very soft. I decided to use more coats but less amount of paint to keep it soft instead of less coats with more paint. Ended up using 3 cans because of this. The flash makes it a little lighter than it actually is.

Comment

Carpet installed. On to rear euro license trim and passenger door panel.

Comment

I received my OEM e30 floor mats in black. The came with 4 clips for the front mats to lock them. They are a little different from the ones you can order of the ETK which I did for my aftermarket mats. These also fit nicely around the pedals. I will be selling the cheap as they are good condition excep the driver side, which is just worn, and will listed it under the for sale section. Next is to install my dead pedal, massive m-technic replica.

Clips, which they twist into the carpet, then the top twists to lock it. (the rust on the seat nut looks worst with the flash. I have new ones for when I redo my driver door)

Comment

And I'm spent for the posting...

Comment

ShIT!! Nice workkk man! That car will look awesome with the new paint! CONGRATS FOR THE GOOD JOB! i loved my 318is...
                          no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

You have my attention sir... Great job so far!!

Comment

props to patience.
                              feedback?!

4x100 32mm Wheel Spacers $70 Shipped

Comment

Great work !
                                Think I caught some of your project on e30tech.
                                Nice to read it all through.
                                Thanks for sharing here.
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X