No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I missed this thread. I wish all build threads were this awesome..as in, not filled with a bunch of BS like every other one has. Truly fantastic work!
    M Coupe

Comment

Good stuff! I like the sound deadening. What did you use over the rust under the drivers pedal? Does that stuff actually work?

Comment

Thanks guys.

I used Por-15 product. You clean, then apply rust paint, then red top coat. Yup it works. Actually the more rust the better. Just can't be falling apart as it will be too weak and even with the new paint you can poke a hole in it if thin. I was still lucky as it was mostly surface rust except a few spots.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Here is an update of the works week at home during some free time at night. Keep working on the passenger seat re-cover. I removed the hinge mechanisms and gave them a good cleaning with brake cleaner. Then lube up gears and levers with bike chain lube. I only need one seat shock as it had a 600N version instead of the 350N. Everything worked fine but might was well fix it right will in here. So I have new one on order with the clips. I will take pics of them and post them up tomorrow. To remove and install shocks, I went to Home Depot and purchase this for $30, XPS600 clamp. Very powerful and a breeze on the shocks. Might be a pain due to the size to replace backrest shocks while the hinge is still on the seat. Since mine were out, it was simple.

Here is pic of the tool, $30 well spent:

Here is the thigh bolster frame and new(old) foam I took from the free sports seat I picked up from a forum member. Mine was shot and missing small chucks.

The thigh bolster all installed, you really notice Kevin's high quality when putting his kit togehter:

Here is the bottom frame of the seat with center removes and one side bolster skin off. You can see how bad my seats are looking at the right. I have cleaned out the frame from dust and will refinish the runners as they have a little surface rust.

Here is not the bottom frame with one new bolstered recover in the black micro:

From a different angle to enjoy the french seam stiching instead for piping:

I should finish seat this week but need the shock and clips to finish putting it together and mount it back in the car.

Comment

A good cut and polish would REALLY bring that car back to life. Zinno comes right back.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

^ Yeah, thats what I hope. I have all the pads and products now and will be borrowing my buddies Orbital. Just need to find a good free weekend. Car is Brillant red though, not Zinno.

Comment

Received the parts to finish the seat hinges. I need to find a foam bolster for the other bottom side. Will try junkyard this weekend, if not, will go on the forums or ebay. I got my seat shock and all new clips. I cleaned the hinges with brake cleaner and then lubed up the springs and gears with bike chain lube. Here are some pics.

New parts:

After cleaning:

Comment

Still looking for the foam piece to finish passenger seat. Free time has turned to new house purcahsed with my wife and baby. I did get my Bday gift. No longer availabe from BMW but some people have them in stock. If you want one, supply is limited.

And here it is resting in the new home:(also have the e39 BMW manaul holder with all my paperwork. Cleans up the glove box.

Comment

Haven't done anything to my car recently, due to baby and new house purchase. I just put gas and drive. But oil change is a must every 5k miles with Mobil 1 0w40 European car formula. I also decided to install the UUC magnecitc drain plug to catch little metal shavings. Also less than 20 miles before the odometer hits 200000.

Comment

Well still busy with new house, kid and work. Havent touched the car since last oil change. Just drive it daily with no issues. Still need to tackle rough idle. But I needed wipers and decided to get the Bosch Evoloution a try. I always liked my wife's newer Volvo ones as they cause pressure across the whole blade and have a nice sweep. These are the same type and from Blunt, ~$10 each. Not the $20 each for the newer Rainx ones. Here is a picture of them. I just washed the car and will wait until the next rainfall to give it a shot.

Comment

Today I added a second trunk light added LEDs instead of incadescents. Also replaced both lenses and you can see the difference in the clearness of the plastic after 20 years.

New on left (bad picture but you can still see the difference)

Here is the install with both bulbs on. Big difference in lighting. I just quick tap connectors and went to the junkyard to pull the wiring from another e30 so that the wiring color codes are the same.

Comment

OMG

You are awesome, and a pure winner in my book. Great job man. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
                          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                          Got Drop?? ;-)
                          Originally posted by JinormusJ
                          But of course
                          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

now this is a proper restoration, good work!

Comment

Thanks. Just get back to working on car with a few things lined up. Some are upgrades some are maintenance items.

Comment

I'm lovin the attention to detail in this thread!

How do you like that Peel And Seal? Big difference overall? Still holding up well?

Benjam

Comment

Working...
                                X