xAZxE30x's M20 2.8l Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xAZxE30x's M20 2.8l Turbo Build

Hey guys! I have yet to post any of my e30 related bits on R3V!

I bought this car from Eluk(some may know him from his mtech2 m50 days) in 2008 i believe and it looked like this

Then I had drove the car for a bit and decided I wanted some wheels and bought some gold rotas and had them for like 1,000miles before I realized I didn't like them once i got back from Bimmerfest 2009

I also had purchased IE3's and Billy Sports which i only got the fronts installed before I realized I wanted coilovers (lesson learned). I then sold the suspension to Eric and the wheels to someone else, they on the board but never post.

On to the good stuff!!

I wanted to do an engine build and turbo whatever i went with. I chose the M20 as people tend to ditch it and I wanted to see how much power I could make on a 12v SOHC. This wasn't going to be a budget build so i knew with the right stuff I could make gobs of power. People have been known to get 400hp+ on stock internals with stock cams so i think i should be pretty good. This is going to be mostly a street car, not DD, with some track usage as well. I may weld in a rear cage setup but not doing anything full as I dont want it solely to be a track car, no trailer for me, must be street legal haha.

Engine Details: 2.8l m20
    M20 block bored 1mm over to 85mm*
    JE 85mm Pistons with total seal rings*
    O-ringed block*
    ARP Main/Head/Rod studs/bolts*
    S50 Rods*
    ETA Crankshaft*
    Ported & Polished Head with valve job*
    Schrick Valves*
    Schrick 304 Camshaft*
    Schrick Valvesprings/retainers*
    IE "beefier" rockers*
    NUKE adjustable cam pulley**
    PRD cam sync plate**
    666 Turbo Manifold 6-1*
    Tial 44mm wastegate**
    GT3582R turbo (or similar)**
    Ebay Intercooler **
    Siemens injectors**
    VEMS 3.3v*
    AKG 75D motor/trans mounts*

Suspension:
    E30M3 struts (cut and welded with new perches)*
    Ground Control coilover setups*
    Koni SA's (top adj all around)*
    E30M3 rear setup*
    Monoball trailing arm bushings*
    AKG Aluminum subframe bushings*
    AKG Aluminum diff bushings*
    THR FCABS*
    All new CA's & Tie rods*
    SS brake lines*

Shoes:
    BBS RC090

* Purchased
    ** Either on the way or not ordered yet

I am sure there is much more but these are all that stand out off the top of my head

My goal with this project is to be above 500hp (crank)
    Stage 2 will be 500whp... which will include rods, rockers, and intake manifold

I have been collecting parts for about 2 years now and its definitely taking a lot longer than anticipated but I want it done right and done right the first time.. and sadly that does not come cheap, but that's half the fun!

Here are some pictures..

gutted carpet

obviously theres another box..

lots of work to get done :P

thanks for looking! will be updated soon!

Austin
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

I also just sold my E36 M3 and picked this up today!

Definitely an upgrade from the E36 :P

May not have the balls but I feel much more at home and will have more fun daily driving this bad chicken!

Its a 1991 318i

got about 220,xxx on the clock but it doesn't work. need to get some new gears and get it going. It runs really well and handling is that of a stock e30. No weird idle issues or anything with the tranny. The only odd thing is when i get to about 3k in 1st it kind of rattles a bit but doesnt do it any other times.

here are some pics!

and my other project...

//Austin
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I can't wait to see this one.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Holy fuck, M5!
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Yeeep!

quite the snag.. it was parked down the street from my dads house and I went by one day and asked if it was for sale. Said it was and i offered him $4,000 for it. He said nope and said he could get it fixed for around $500 and then sell it for $10,000. 6 months later my step mom called me up and said it was outside and now with a for sale sign on it. So I went over and offered him $1,500 and went up from there and settled at $2,500. I still need to take it to my buddies shop and run compression numbers before I start buying stuff. But so far if compression is good then I am thinking it just needs a new radiator and hoses and fluids everywhere and it should start.

here are some more pics.

Comment

I also picked up an apline radiator support from the yard and have grilles, lights, and a hood (needs paint). So I have all the body parts needed to make it look good again. Just lots of praying that the engine isnt fubared!

Comment

Awesome Austine! Look forward to seeing where you builds end up. Very nice platforms all around.

Sam

Originally posted by Roysneon
              $5 shipped?
              Originally posted by MarkD
              You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Subbed
                Originally posted by kendogg
                Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                OG RACECAR

Comment

Turbo m5 build coming soon?

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                    Awesome Austine! Look forward to seeing where you builds end up. Very nice platforms all around.

Sam
                    thanks Sam! Cant wait to finally get them driving.. been far to long.

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                    Turbo m5 build coming soon?
                    ha, well its definately in my head. But I think if, or WHEN, the s38 needs a rebuild I am going to weigh all the costs and go from there. I personally think I can rebuild it for cheaper than the rumors (10-15k). I would like though, to do a full rebuild with OE bits and maybe a few others (cams etc) and then a carbon airbox. love that sound :p

Comment

Looking good, that interior on that M5 looks minttttt. I was debating on what kind of EMS to use, I want to check out how you are doing the wiring once you get around to doing it.

My Build

Comment

Yeahh it is supper clean! Driver seat has the gangsta lean going on though. But it isn't drive-able yet so does not matter i guess, Soon though.. i hope!

Yeahh I will definitely share the wiring process.. I should get my harness here pretty soon and my head should be ready for pickup this week. I am hoping to really get cracking on this after Bimmerfest and school is out for the summer. Lots of work left though!

Comment

When is Bimmerfest ? I was thinking about making the trip out there because I just got my car painted, are you rolling with the azbmw guys ?

My Build

Comment

nicee!! keep posting updates on that m20
                            no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Originally posted by The Volta View Post
                              When is Bimmerfest ? I was thinking about making the trip out there because I just got my car painted, are you rolling with the azbmw guys ?
                              It is the 14th of May. Yeah i am going out with all them. Im leaving with the Thursday group at 11am and coming back Sunday. There is also a group going Friday as well. Itll be a good time!

Originally posted by matias88e30 View Post
                              nicee!! keep posting updates on that m20
                              Thanks! I will have some more updates soon hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                              X