No announcement yet.

Prolonging the Procrastination...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bigger concern would be the loss of heat deflection (if any) from PC'ing your oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
      The thing with the pan is, if you clean it as is or polish it, it will eventually corrode. If you paint it, the paint will wear off and again corrode away.
      PC'ing it is not expensive, and will last a looong time.

Why not is the bigger question. Gonna PC the timing cover, themostat housing, etc?
      Yeah, I agree. I dropped off a huge box of parts including everything you mentioned above. I think I'll run the pan over today and just get it done.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      My bigger concern would be the loss of heat deflection (if any) from PC'ing your oil pan.
      I've got a good size Mocal oil cooler going up front with -10 lines so I'm not too concerned about heat.
      Originally posted by Simon S
      When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Last week I had a few hours and the weather was nice so I decided to throw some H+R springs on the Mini. Easy job, should have taken 3 hours tops...but no. Finished the passenger front and moved over to the driver front and spun the head right off the bolt that pinches the hub carrier to the strut body. Great! Put it all back together and decided to deal with it last Friday on my day off. What a bitch that was. I finished up on Saturday evening and after trying a couple different things on Friday, I decided to drill through the 10.9 bolt that was left in the carrier.

Long story short, I didnt work on the E30 until tonight.

So, I only got about 2 hours out in the garage and began reassembling a few things. I pressed in the new seals for the front main and oil pump intermediate shaft.

IMG_0084 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Installed all new seals and positioned the oil filter do-hickey in its new orientation to make room for the turbo.

IMG_0111 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Anyway, I'm hoping to have some stuff back from powdercoat first part of next week. I'm working all weekend so I wont be able to get to it until then anyway...
        Last edited by Mtriple; 08-29-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

keep up the work man, looking good
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop?? ;-)
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          But of course
          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Nice, i like.

You running the top or bottom TCD?
            turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
            Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
              Nice, i like.

You running the top or bottom TCD?
              Bottom mount/log manifold

Comment

Insignificant update.

Most of the parts are back from PC. I'm only waiting on the oil pan and the oil filter housing. The oil filter housing was an afterthought and I only dropped it off yesterday. The pan has been there for a while but I have to wait for them to get enough other customer pieces to do a run of metallic silver, otherwise I would have to pay $80 which is the minimum order.

I have spent the down time from the E30 to work on my Mini. I've been installing a stereo and should be finished with that tomorrow. Anyways, here's the smaller stuff that I had done in gloss black. The tube toward the back of the box is the tank for the aftercooler and was done in the textured black like the valve cover, intake, and aftercooler.

IMG_0095 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Water to Air aftercooler:

IMG_0093 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Water pipe, intake, and valve cover.

IMG_0092 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr
                Last edited by Mtriple; 08-29-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

So everything is back from PC. I did end up getting the pan done and I'm glad I did, it looks pretty good. I pulled the motor off the stand the other night and did the rear main seal and then put it back on the stand and mounted the pan. I also disassembled the oil filter mount/thermostat and had that sent in for PC as well.

IMG_0111 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

IMG_0112 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

With our wedding in 4 weeks, work on the motor is at a standstill because I need to get the head out to VAC but there is just no fundage for that right now. I'm going to wrap it up, push it off into the corner, and get to work on things that I already have. First on the list is the M3 steering rack, and a few other things for the front end.
                  Last edited by Mtriple; 08-29-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

This project is sick! and even more so because you have goalie equipment in your garage! SWEET!

M50B25tu

Comment

Originally posted by JK_E30 View Post
                      This project is sick! and even more so because you have goalie equipment in your garage! SWEET!
                      Thanks man, hockey is my other passion so I'm a bit of a gear whore.

So in the process of going through the front end and installing the M3 rack, I will remove my GC camber plates and install the new touring version in an effort to get a little more streetable ride.

IMG_0121 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

...and some roll center spacers from AKG along with the spacers and hardware for the rack swap.

IMG_0122 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Cant decide if I should rock the badge in the left corner of the trunk lid. Opinions?

IMG_0120 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

IMG_0119 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

Manifold

IMG_0125 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr

And I pulled in the Mini tonight to wax it and thought this was interesting. The Mini which is lowered makes my E30 look small...

IMG_0128 by Bob Cooper, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Mtriple; 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I saw my e30 next to a stocker 325is. No side mirrors and the drop made mine look tiny too!

Love this build up! So much anticipation, on so many sweet parts into it!

Congrats on the wedding too! Just remember to give the e30 its once a month lovin too. ;)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt
                          on so many sweet parts into it!
                          no kidding!
                          Looking forward to seeing this come together..

.. someday.. lol
                          j/k
                          Congrats on the upcoming wedding !
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I say no on the badge, but I don't really like stuff like that.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

You and Blunt need to race when it's done 24V vs 12V turbo.
                              Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

No stinking badges...leave it clean if they have to ask it's a 316i. Makes me want to finish mine but the darn house is eating my time.
                                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X