Delphin - Phase 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delphin - Phase 2

This is a long coming project and it just entered its second phase. For the last 8 years she has been getting a new lease on life as the body was in rough shape. This is my wife project car before she was even my wife ...

Fast foward to 2 weeks ago we picked it up with a fresh new paint, she is no more Delphin blau.

My wife and I the proceed to drive it back from Montreal,Qc to Fredericton NB, some 800+km and it made it! I should point out that is was an interesting drive, as not everything works as one could expect for 23y/o car.

Delphin started its life as a 5spd 325is fully loaded. By the time we got it back some things have been removed, a/c, abs, antenna, turn signals, fog lights. Counter balancing the losses she gained new shoes, 17" Team Dynamics, Bilstein shocks and B&G springs, new bumpers (front & rear, will need help to identify, probably kopies), side skirts. Brake system has also been overhauled during the years. I have been forbidden to take more pictures until it gets a wash.

As we drove it back to its new, I had the pleasure of finding what works and what doesn't. Radio? Need Code. Sunroof? Sorta, would not close completely, so had to close it manually. Lights? Only one high beam. Cruise control? Yes! Central locking? What this thing has central locking? I discovered that when I tried to fill up and could not find the lever. Luckily the owners manual was still and the gloved box. Gas gauge? Maybe, the jury is still out on that one. Tach? Nope. OBC? Info returned seemed legit. Check Panel? Yup and I got the Oil one, except the Oil light in the dash does not come on? Not too sure what to think, kept an eye on the oil and level stayed the same. ABS light? Oh yeah its been removed! Wipers? Only the left one and only the momentarily wipe. Electric mirrors? Nah. Steering rack is leaking very badly on the right side and the diff relieved itself a bit.

That being said, I was impressed by the car. It pulls nice in 4th and 5th and once the engine is back to normal, this will be a nice a car to trow around the tight curvy roads of the area. I was quite surprised to how small the car is, I mean our DD is a Versa.

That's enough for the intro, next post we get into the juicy stuff.
    01/88 325is re-assembly required - Garage recluse - Parts pile growing

The first goal will be to get car ready for inspection and one obvious failure will be front turn signals.

Where'they go?

From what we were told, the front bumper needed a lot of help and the holes for the stock turn signals were filled. Not optimal but we will have to live with it. On the subject of the bumper, anyone can identify what it could be? There is actually a lip but it cant be seen.

Let's play a game, its called identify the connector:

Right side

Rad area Aux Fan?

Left side

Any suggestion as to what I could use in the exterior (larger) hole for a turn signal?

My various searches did not return worth it. I could try to fit the stock turn signals but since I don't have em I have no idea what they would look like ...

Comment

Originally posted by Vspec View Post

Let's play a game, its called identify the connector:

Right side

turn signal lights, fog lamp and side marker light...
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      ---------------------------------
      89 E30 S52
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Isn't delphin a metallic grey color (like mine)?? Your color looks more avus blue and that front bumper seems to be an e36 m3 replica.
        '87 Delphin OBDI S52, 5-lug 325is-SOLD
        '81 CJ-7 w/ SBC 350 conversion

A.D.D. mastermind...

Comment

Originally posted by clarkbmw325is View Post
          Isn't delphin a metallic grey color (like mine)?? Your color looks more avus blue and that front bumper seems to be an e36 m3 replica.

"... she is no more delphin blue..."
          Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by clarkbmw325is View Post
            .... that front bumper seems to be an e36 m3 replica.
            Looks you're on the money on that one.

Me wonders if the fog light from an e36 would fit in that location :???: and make it a turn signal. Then it might be simpler to fit in stock turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
              turn signal lights, fog lamp and side marker light...
              Plastic or metal bumper?

Comment

Opened the air box to check the filter. Will need replacement as I expected.

It was PITA to put it back Almost tempted to go the CAI road to make it simpler/easier ....

Found some more missing stuff and connectors connected to nothing. Pics to follow.

Comment

Stomach flu = delays

Delphin is a 1/88 which rules out those sexy late model clear turn signals :( Any adaptors ever made? What do pple do when they convert to plastic bumpers?

Onto the mystery solving:

Exhibit A

Should this 3 prongs connector be plugged somewhere? It this the oil level sensor? I have an oil light in the diagnostic panel but not in the dash. I monitored the oil level as we made our way back home and everything was fine.

Exhibit B

This time a 2 prongs connector coming from the fuse box. What is it for?

Bonus question: The cap of the brake fluid reservoir seems to have the leftover of some kind of .... connector :roll: Again what is the deal here?

Exhibit C

I believe those are relays and they are from the same loom that the AFM connector comes from. Is there some kind of cover for them? I'd like to give the engine bay some kind of cleaning to remove the years of grime and grease but rather not put fluids where they shouldn't go.

Thanks for listening!

Comment

SI batteries reading 1.3V and 0.8V. Time for a new SI board.

Damn you Canada Post for your un-timely strike otherwise Pelican Parts via USPS would be the affordable option :down:

Comment

the connector on the right goes into the AFM if im not mistaken.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                      89 E30 S52
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Vspec View Post
                        Stomach flu = delays

Delphin is a 1/88 which rules out those sexy late model clear turn signals :( Any adaptors ever made? What do pple do when they convert to plastic bumpers?

Onto the mystery solving:

Exhibit A

Should this 3 prongs connector be plugged somewhere? It this the oil level sensor? I have an oil light in the diagnostic panel but not in the dash. I monitored the oil level as we made our way back home and everything was fine.
                        yes this is the oil level sensor. It should have a mail plug it hooks up to which comes off the chassis harness.
                        sigpic
                        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                          the connector on the right goes into the AFM if im not mistaken.
                          This one will haunt me forever.

I was curious as to how those relays would fare when washing/powerwashing/shampooing the engine.

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                          yes this is the oil level sensor. It should have a mail plug it hooks up to which comes off the chassis harness.
                          Thanks, that will give me idea where to look for!

Comment

This time a 2 prongs connector coming from the fuse box. What is it for?

Bonus question: The cap of the brake fluid reservoir seems to have the leftover of some kind of .... connector Again what is the deal here?
                            The wire from the fusebox goes into the conector that SHOULD be on your brake fluid cap! Part# 34-32-1-161-541-BOE. Cap with warning switch. About $35, or cheap at a junkyard.
                            Originally posted by LJ851
                            kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                            ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                            #teamross
                            Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Time for an update!

Two packages arrived, many parts went on the shelves for later but the hood and trunk emblems got installed that same night. The god awful tuner crap shift knob got replaced with the OEM part. What a difference, now the interior is a nice place to be, if I could only do something about those leather seats

Took the SI board out, found out 0v and 0.8v. Could not find the correct batteries, my soldering iron is a POS, thus I separated myself from some hard earned money and got a refurbished one. Kudos to this guide for the SI board removal!

If for some reason decided to leave the doors open for whole day in the garage, so after re-installing the cluster, the gauges would work but engine would not start

Charged the battery, car started, all gauges working! Hurray for RPM and engine temp. Will need a new battery, the trickle charger is used the bike, does not give enough amp ....

Yesterday, took it out for a small spin around the block and proceeded to give it a wash. Windshield and rear glass are leaking at the seals :curse: The list never ends

Took some picture for good measure, please excuse the rusty rotors

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                              The wire from the fusebox goes into the conector that SHOULD be on your brake fluid cap! Part# 34-32-1-161-541-BOE. Cap with warning switch. About $35, or cheap at a junkyard.
                              Good to know!

Comment

Working...
                              X