24v,E30M3 5 lug, coils, and diving boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v,E30M3 5 lug, coils, and diving boards

I was going to upload all the photos and write out text once the car was more done, but I have a terrible memory for times and dates and what order things happened so although it's going to be slow progress due to my work area being an hour away and funds tight I'm going to start the project log now.

This is the transformation of my 84 318i. I was given this car by my father who got tired of working on it. I was working on a shitty Neon project at the time and when the offer was made I jumped on it.

I knew the engine was tired and so a swap was the first thing on my mind, but at the time it ran and that was good enough. I drove it for a year bone stock while I fixed little things along the way and made my plans for what I wanted to do.

I loved driving the thing, it had no power, a coil on each of the rear springs had snapped off and there was rust forming but I loved the feel of the RWD and the raw simpleness of the engine. Then one day it all when wrong. After a failed attempt at a clutch kick on an on/off ramp I broke both of the motor mounts and both trans mounts, shredding the p/s and fan belt and essentially setting the engine on the subframe. I did get it back to my parent's place but it did run super hot after getting off the highway to drop off a passenger. About two weeks later the car starts running super rich to the point where it will barely idle, and won't run under any load. I had another car to drive on the daily so away it went as it felt like a fitting time to move the car to project status.

Old pics when it had a running m10

In the driveway pics it's sitting on H&R OE Sport springs that were shipped to me instead of the H&R Race I wanted for it.

So after gathering parts and researching all fall, winter and spring, stripping a smashed E36 that I bought for $300 I had a start of something.

Here's the recent progress.

First I started unhooking the harness, took the DME out, and unbolted the p/s lines and got that sucker ready to come out.

Really not much to pulling an M10

Started pulling the heat shielding/insulation/black crap away and checking for rust, and I found what I knew was there.

Nothing too serious, will be doing some cutting/welding before the engine goes in.

Also added the M-tech 1 wheel off of my parts car that I got from Pat aka Pac1373 on here.

Now for what's going in! It's just a simple, plain old M50tu from a 94 325is. I already had the E34 pan/pickup and had swapped all that over the night before the engine came out, looked really good in the bottom end despite the crack in the oil pan. The E36 that I got the engine from was in a pretty serious wreck and actually broke the engine free from the mounts. I know it really should be rebuilt but I'm just going to throw it in, hope for the best and if the crack is fucked/head gasket is blown, etc. I'll build it up as a stroker and boost it.

It does look good inside, though.

And now for the really cool part: My 5 lug: E30 M3 front struts/control arms and rear trailing arms. I don't have brakes yet but I'm working on it. Got all that stuff along with a trans, E28 lsd, steering rack and some other misc. parts for $255.

The plan is for GC full coilover kit to be installed in the housings.

I also got the booster removed in preparation for installing the iX booster and made a clutch stop for it, no pics of those though.

That's where I left it off so far, I only get to work on the car a few times a month due to work and living so far away from my parent's place where I keep it, but it feels good to actually be making some progress.

For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

title fail...

Comment

The only thing not there is the coils. It's a project thread, not a completed car thread, but thanks for the interest.
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Looks like a good start! Nice pickup with the M3 suspension.

My Build

Comment

Originally posted by eur04lif3 View Post
          title fail...
          Horrible attempt at trolling, get a life.

I like the progress so far OP, keep it up.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            I like the progress so far OP, keep it up.
            Thanks, my mounts came yesterday, have to get down toward my parent's place to pick them up from the Post Office. Ordered my wiring adapter from Mr. EricT himself yesterday. I hate wiring and that way if something goes wrong, I can blame him and not admit it I wired it up wrong :)

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Oh and what do you guys think I should do about bumpers? I have plastics on hand, obviously DB's are on it and I do love Euro bumps. What would you guys do? I do want to switch out the diving boards, but not sure which to go with.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                Oh and what do you guys think I should do about bumpers? I have plastics on hand, obviously DB's are on it and I do love Euro bumps. What would you guys do? I do want to switch out the diving boards, but not sure which to go with.
                I say get euros if you can, you already have plastics on the touring...

Comment

Euro bumps all day long.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Euro bumpers FTW!
                    Originally posted by LJ851
                    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                    #teamross
                    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

You know how I feel about the diving boards on that thing...
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

looks good roy
                        91 e30 318is M50 SOLD
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=149570
                        92 325 vert project
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=341370

Comment

Hahah what's up guys, good to see you in here.

Northern was there to help me pull the old 4cyl from the car. Went something like this:

Roy: "Ok, whatever I'm just gonna cut this exhaust off with the grinder."

Terry (Northern): "What about all that gas that spilled out of the lines?"

Roy:"....I'll just shoot the sparks away from it. We'll do it live."

Terry:".......:-|"

Good times.

No real work done this week but I did get some cool stuff in.

New guibo and center support bearing from Guten.

Damn-Near-Solid mounts from Silence:

And a pic of the brake boosters I have. From right to left is stock early model, Porsche 924 and E30 iX.

I was going to use the 924, but then found an ix that would fit directly. Being an early model my car has 3 ports coming off of the master cylinder, one for each front brake and then one that's t'd off at the rear. Late models have two, and both are split by the ABS. The early and late masters have different mounting patterns as well, so I decided to go with the Porsche booster, got it shortened and threaded and now just have to paint it. I'm waiting until I get the engine bay painted before installing it, of course.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Nice work! I'll be doing a similar build once the heat goes away. Keep us updated on your progress!
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                              The early and late masters have different mounting patterns as well, so I decided to go with the Porsche booster, got it shortened and threaded and now just have to paint it. I'm waiting until I get the engine bay painted before installing it, of course.
                              Does this mean I can dibs the iX booster? or are you saving it for another 24v swap?:-P

I'm away until next weekend, but we should meet up and get rid of the rust in the engine bay next weekend so you can get this swap moving.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                              X