Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orcgrinder's Castro Built Turbo Monster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orcgrinder's Castro Built Turbo Monster!

So Chris and I have been really bad about posting threads about the car builds we've done lately. We've both been extremely busy and simply haven't had the time to compile everything. Anyway, I want to showcase all the hard work that Chris and the Castro's crew have put into Kyle (orcgrinder's) turbo build.

This car may not be for everyone, but it's very light, has quality parts, handles extremely well, and pulls very hard. A lot of time, effort and planning went into this car, and it represents Kyle's own personality on the dot!

We haven't had a chance to do an official photoshoot of the finalized car, but I will borrow a few from his Just Stance article. While Kyle's car isn't for everyone, it's definitely the shop favorite. The car has so much character, and now it lays some serious rubber! :nice:

I met Kyle a while ago, after inquiring about some tires he had for sale. Well we got to talking about his e30 and I started telling him about all the potential his car had. Kyle's car started out as a normal Eta, with GC coils on Bilstein Sports, and the 16x9 ESMs. The first thing Kyle wanted was a better handling suspension set-up. So Chris Castro and I planned out his suspension build, which consisted of an M3 sway bar link conversion, short body Koni top adjustable front struts, polyurethane bushings all around, and some IE sway bars.

After getting all the suspension work done, Kyle's car handled amazing! Next up Kyle wanted a bit more power out of his car. He had bought the car with an entire "i" conversion that was just waiting to be installed. So Kyle brought the car back to the shop and Chris did the head and electronics swap, along with our MAF conversion and airbox, and a full header back, single 2.5" exhaust. Needless to say, Kyle's gutted Eta moved very nicely after Chris Castro was done with it!

Next up Kyle wanted to make his car even lighter, so we put in some NRG seats. Chris then made version 1 of Kyle's custom "super shifter," and added a Hartge trunk spoiler for good measure. Finally, Kyle asked Chris to make him a custom, exposed oil cooler set-up which finished off the look he was going for.

Anyway, here is the way Kyle's car more or less looked right before we swapped in the fresh turbo set-up: (pics done by William Lee of JustStance.com)

Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

let me just say, the final pics are going to be mind blowing. kyle's car is amazing to see in person. seeing it on the lift wasn't nearly the same as seeing it finished and driving.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
    my feedback thread

Comment

saw the car in person and my breath was just taken away

Originally posted by yert315
      Your mother is plug n play

Comment

sick, needs urobompers
        cars beep boop

Comment

agreed... early model euro bumpers. GIMME
          sigpic
          85' e backSTABBATH

Need a good mechanic/fabricator/performance shop in SoCal?
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155404

Castro Motorsport
          12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
          North Hollywood, CA 91605
          818-765-3606

Comment

This car is tits. One of the cleanest turbo'd m20 I have ever seen. Sooooooo sick.
            harry/harout

Comment

So Kyle wanted more power, adn after discussing his options with Chris, they decided to run a turbo m20 set-up. Because we already had David Blunt's fresh turbo motor, we decided that would be the best choice for Kyle's needs.

The turbo and drivetrain consists of the following:

Recently rebuilt 2.5 "i" motor
              ARP2000 head studs
              MLS oversized head gasket to lower compression
              New over-sized Mahle pistons and rings
              Schrick turbo cam
              BMP adjustable cam gear
              Ebay top mount turbo manifold, which Chris rewelded for strength and reliability
              Garrett T3 60-1 journal bearing turbo: A/R 60, 0.63 exhaust housing
              44mm v-banded waste gate
              HKS blow off valve
              38# Lucas injectors
              eBay intercooler
              Intercooler piping: 2.5" hot side, 2.75" cold side
              German Engineering M20 silicone intake tube
              German Engineering rebuilt and shaved throttle body, with flipped butterfly and m50 throttle position sensor
              German Engineering built and fully tuned Megasquirt stand alone ECU: Microsquirt daughterboard and DIY PNP
              Castro's custom 2 piece, fiberglass intake box - Turbo Version
              3" custom, mandrel bent downpipe
              3" custom, mandrel bent oval turbo back exhaust
              Custom Dr. Pepper 6-pack oil catch can: Kyle's idea, Chris' design and execution
              Getrag 260 trans
              13 lb lightened flywheel
              Gripforce stage 2 clutch and pressure plate

A big thanks to Nigel (einstein57) from German Engineering for his awesome products, and for building and fine tuning the Megasquirt system!

Anyway, enough talk, more pics :hitler:

Hey where did the motor go?

The new powerplant, block freshly painted and ready to go!

Crossmember freshly painted to match the block

Kyle's car eagerly waiting for the heart transplant! :twisted:

In she goes!

Valve cover and intake manifold, check!

Test fitting the intercooler

Freshly painted, matching front sway installed with E36 M3 steering rack

Oh well hello there Mr. Wastegate!

Custom, DTM style shift plate, made by Chris Castro finished and installed

Better view of the bottom of the custom shift lever Chris made:

Custom intercooler bracket made, and intercooler mounted

Give credit, where credit's do

That's it for now, I will edit this post later tonight with more pics!
              Last edited by e30polak; 08-02-2011, 08:29 PM.

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Subscribed! Diggin the way that oil cooler is hangin out in plain view...must be tricky for parking around town though LOL
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

looks great. I love the oil cooler set up
                  95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                  Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                  LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Love this car! And there couldn't be a better guy owning it!

-NICK

Comment

All i have to say is great set-up and great person. This car is bad ass. My lil sister is in love with this car. I'm jealous I didn't get a built Thread Polak? I guess you have to pay extra$$ ;)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...46#post3229446

Comment

This car has been one of my favs for a little while since I saw a pic posted on Facebook. I love an early model sitting low on BBS. It reminds me of a kind of Euro/JDM E30/AE86 fusion ride. I love it!
                        GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

nice! this is an early model so for it to sit on the rear wheels like that...tits!
                          ]

Comment

German Engineering modified throttle body and silicone intake boot installed. Chris also finished the cold side of the intercooler piping

Chris' custom intake box almost done!

Peek-a-boo, HKS BOV!

3" mandrel bent downpipe in progress

The circular to oval piping transition for the 3" mandrel bent, oval exhaust system

The ground clearance is ridiculous!!!

Last edited by e30polak; 08-03-2011, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Diggin the block color. Nice contrast. This car is going to be damn near perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X