Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

today's mail brought the used ebay 'Ideal' brand tire groover/siper that i got for cheap. the idea with this is that it's an iron (like a soldering iron) that gets really hot and it has a "tip" that, depending on what size you get (I'm using #4 aka 1/2") holds U-shaped blades. The blades can be gotten in either a rounded or squared profile in various widths.

To sipe a tire (for better mud/snow grip) you use the two pointy ends and just cut "slits" in the tread blocks.

To groove it, you flip the blade and use the "U" section downward and can cut grooves in the tread blocks.

My heavily-used Yoko rally tires outside edge was totally chewed up, and the first thing I wanted to do was to square it off a bit to hopefully improve turn-in grip in wet/loose conditions.

here's how it came out:

Since I was doing the front tires, I also decided to add another longitudinal groove a couple inches into the tread, again for turning grip. I'll only do this on the fronts as the rear end lateral traction wasn't much of an issue last year. On the upside this actually makes the tire a tad bit narrower (never bad for soft-surface rallycross). The downside is that it will slightly reduce braking grip - though the less braking the better in rallycross, and stopping was never an issue with my slow car.

Anyhow, we'll see how that holds up. I may also pick up some very-worn rally tires to use only on our "barn course" which is usually tarmac-like hardpack that tears up soft tires..

here's the longitudinal grooves:

I may do the rears with a pattern better for acceleration/braking traction. E.g. a lateral or diagonal groove, or just widen the current grooves so it sheds muddy clay better. I may also consider siping the rears for traction as well. we'll see. I'll probably experiment.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this cheapo groover. I had read that the cheap ones didn't work well, and were a hassle, and that the $400 van alstine and rillfit brand groovers were "the only ones worth buying." Maybe if I had to do this fast between stages or something that might be true. But I had no trouble doing the above work on one tire in about 10 minutes. It cuts through the tread blocks like butter, really. And, at least in theory, it should improve grip.

The remnants:
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Nice work on the tires.
      Sorry about your grandpa, my grandpa suffered of the same thing and it hit me in the gut every time I visited him. Started with slight confusion over my name/age to, eventually, having no clue who I was or how to function. He still showed deep affection to the very end.
      E30 buildy things
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

And here's how I did the rears. Outside edges sharpened up, and I made some wider lateral grooves on the inside tread blocks, where I think it will be most effective for traction and shedding the thick clay that we get at summit...

Guess we'll see....

Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
          Nice work on the tires.
          Sorry about your grandpa, my grandpa suffered of the same thing and it hit me in the gut every time I visited him. Started with slight confusion over my name/age to, eventually, having no clue who I was or how to function. He still showed deep affection to the very end.
          yeah, it's certainly tough.

the one bright side to it is that he doesn't talk about politics anymore. He used to love to talk politics, and had very strong convictions (as I think most elderly people do by that age). It's nice thinking that he isn't getting all stressed out anymore just because so-and-so is President or so-and-so bill is about to pass....
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

little stuff today.

got in my oil temp sender. again, took a while because i wanted an m12 thread one that would thread in directly to the stock housing, rather than using adaptors. Here's the part number if anyone cares.

now the one thing with this sender is that it uses a "Packard" style connector. I don't have any of those around, so just modified a standard female connector :)

getting the OEM pressure warning switch out was a pain in the arse. It requires like a 26mm wrench, and basically nothing fits in there anyhow without removing the alternator and bracket. After trying about 20 different tools, finally got it loose with some needle-nose vise grips...

the new one fits in easier and uses a regular 17mm box-end.

For wiring, i ran a direct line from the wire tail that i left under the dash to the oil pressure sender.

I had to extend the oil pres warning wire to get to the dual-pole pressure sender that I installed previously on the other side of the oil filter housing. There's no real clean way to do this since the sender sits in the middle of the alternator belt 'circle', so once again just routed them where they look ugly, but will not contact the belts.

used some old fuel injector hose to minimize any rubbing issues as it goes over the coolant hose, and to route it 'out' a bit...

the other wire here is the oil temp, also routed very unattractively.

so, i know this is my most epic day of modding in this entire thread. so please, try to control your excitement, ok? ;)
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Whooooooooooooooooooo!

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!
              1991 318i SOLD
              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                Whooooooooooooooooooo!

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!
                :mrgreen:
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                  :mrgreen:
                  Sorry. Archer reference.

1991 318i SOLD
                  2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

lol...
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

last night the garage was cold as heck....wasn't in the mood to do anything.

so I sat in the living room, watched a movie, and sorted my "random BMW stuff" drawer - particularly all the nuts and bolts so I can find what I need without digging through a drawer full of junk. I think I have something like 60 or 70 separated jars hanging in the garage now, lol.

Today at lunch I swung by OG Racing (the best racing shop in the mid-atlantic, in my opinion) and picked up a couple eyebolts and backing plates, since I was two short when installing the harness. Got them installed under the seat....

Then called my co-driver over to test out the full harness

In other cool things, one of the RG318IS CUP drivers dropped me a message asking if I'd be interested in coming out and running in one of their rallies in Germany this summer. As awesome as that sounds, it's probably not in the budget for me. I'm a government worker and already looking at the possibility of a 20% pay cut this year if sequestration goes through, and with two little kids there's not a lot of spare money to go around for motorsports other than the relatively small amount I spend on this car and maybe 1 or 2 Chumps/LeMons races this year with some of the other Dirty e-thirties guys.

Maybe 2014 I'll go out to Germany and open it up a bit :)
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

nothing much today, but did take the car out and do some good speed runs on the parkway...in the snow...on the star specs. They actually gripped pretty well (roads were just wet, but it was snowing). Car ran well and pulls hard, but damn is it loud now that all the soundproofing is off. I was consciously nervous when I passed a couple police cars, lol.

When I got back I did notice what looked like oil dripping from the bottom of the oil pan, but I'm not entirely sure if it is fresh. It seemed pretty thin and watered-down, which is odd since I'm using a heavy-ish oil weight and it is 25 degrees out. I didn't see any leaks in the gaskets or sealing washers on the oil filter assembly, so I'm thinking that I spilled more oil than I thought when doing the oil pressure and temp senders, and the wet roads and spray coming up caused the residue to flow down and drip.

Will give it another look on a dry day. I could see some oily/watery stuff in a little engine block cavity just near the oil pressure sender. Got me nervous since that's also just under where the coolant enters the block via a hard-fitting....but didn't seem to be coolant, and again was oily but too thin to be pure oil, I think.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Got some new vinyl in from my man Carlos (silence on r3vlimited) at Condor Speed Shop. Good time to drop some information for him for those who don't know that CSS is a great place to pick up performance/race components for your e30 made of UHMW - which is "solid" material but transmits less vibration than aluminum or other metal mounts.

Condor makes a good number of replacement bushings and mounts for e30s (almost all engine types, including many swaps) - control arm bushings, diff, transmission mounts, engine mounts, trailing arm bushings, subframe bushings (both standard and risers), and powersteering delete blocks. Check them out if you race your e30 or if you have a hardcore street ride.

vinyl....not my strong point. I used the "wet method" which is quite a hassle with this positioning over the back door handle and several other overlaps. Took me about an hour to do one side, maxed out my patience, lol.

But came out pretty good overall. If you look close in person you can find a few issue areas (both due to my lack of vinyl skill and due to my chipped paint in several areas), but from a foot or two away it looks pretty good I think. Plus it will have plenty of dirt on it to disguise imperfections.

Also a quick plug for Carlos's graphics guy at KD Vinyl in Coral Springs Florida. Good quality stuff and they do a lot of race vinyl.

So, some pics.

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Awesome...
                            sigpic

Comment

Had to fiddle a bit to get the other side to fit well (the graphic was designed for the right side), but finally managed it. I didn't do a great job on this one (had a few sketchy areas), but still looks ok if you don't look real close :)

and one for Carlos's vinyl guy, since they really do a good job on these designs and sizing for specific cars.

Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Josh, The car is looking great! Good Luck this season, you know we will be rooting for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X