Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool! Hope it works out. It seems like it would be a fun project, I'll have to try it if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
      Here's a good example

It's good for covering beat-up dashes and getting rid of all sun glare. And cheap. And it looks decent if done well. I'll be happy if mine turns out "ok" lol...

Yeah, actually the first time I saw a rallycross going on at Summit, I was crewing for the 12-hour enduro on the main circuit, we towed our 100-gallon fuel cart to the pumps to fill it up and some guy in a muddy-ass lifted VW pulled up at the otherside of the pump to get some race gas. I was like "I must do that"

You know Brandon Campbell and Yoshi Jeffry, I assume since you drift an e30?
      haha thats sweet.. brandon I think i know him and yeah I know yoshi

Comment

Originally posted by dnick View Post
        haha thats sweet.. brandon I think i know him and yeah I know yoshi
        Yoshi's actually in Japan right now, I'm so jealous haha. Brandon's a cool guy, he had a red 325is iirc?

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Here's a good example

It's good for covering beat-up dashes and getting rid of all sun glare. And cheap. And it looks decent if done well. I'll be happy if mine turns out "ok" lol...

they sell DIY kits that I've seen some good results from, albeit maybe not as good as the ones done by professionals. Anyhow, with my old nasty cracked dash I'll give it a go.....nothing to lose!

http://donjer.com/products.htm#Kits
          Eric has that stuff on his Euro S50 race car, it's neat looking stuff! Love the DIY oriented rally build!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
            Yoshi's actually in Japan right now, I'm so jealous haha. Brandon's a cool guy, he had a red 325is iirc?
            Nice. Yeah I worked with Brandon's wife for a while, which is how I know him. His 325 is now being parted by Yoshi, coincidentally. He's on to other projects I think. I actually have some parts from his car on mine now, lol. Still need to get the sways off it as well :)
            Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop
            visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              Eric has that stuff on his Euro S50 race car, it's neat looking stuff! Love the DIY oriented rally build!
              thanks, I'll have to check it out! Trying to keep it as DIY/cheap as possible, but I do get enticed by the "nice" parts on occasion, lol.

I spent too much doing my WRX autocross setup and my GT6 restoration, so I'm trying to keep this build on as low a budget as possible, just to see if I can actually have some self-control with the wallet
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Finished a few little things tonight:

First, put the finishing touches on my ghetto-fabulous battery tie-down...

Second, since I'm not going to be using the brake pad wear sensors, but don't want the stupid red light on, I cut off the wires and sensor, grounded off the ground, and spliced the two resistance wires together to trick the car into thinking that the sensor was still installed. Small victories, lol

Also built the backing board for my backseat delete and covered it. Might I add that when recovering stuff, an electric staple gun with some 1/4" staples is about 1000x easier to use on MDF board than a manual staple gun that rarely penetrates far enough!

Now that I have the panels in, I'm pretty happy with the quick-remove setup I'll have. The only thing holding the panels in are two pins (in the seat bottom original metal "loops") and two wingnuts that will bolt through into the metal seat backing (I need to tack-weld a couple nuts on the back so I can screw them in from the front. With just these four pieces of hardware, the two board pieces are held securely (the bottom of the back piece holds the back of the bottom piece down. No rattles, no movement. Mission accomplished. I will probably also setup a hang-net for small cargo stuff on the back, and some tiedowns on the bottom piece.

Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I like it!! whats next?

Comment

next......hopefully the new driveshaft center support bearing will be here on friday. So will pull the DS (again), install, reinstall DS, reinstall exhaust, and go for a nice weekend drive :)

Might also try to find something to fab up some mudflaps from. Looking for some used RallyArmor flaps on the Subaru forums if some pop up cheap. The Forester ones seem to be a good size for how I want to mount them, especially with my tall stance.
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

oh drive shaft woes hahah. Awesome though! I cant wait to drive mine, its been sitting in my driveway for too long.
                      I love flaps on e30's, let me know what you finally choose!

Comment

This came out looking very nice!

Comment

Some minor stuff today. I had to take some time after work to figure out why the WRX was intermittently throwing a combo of ABS, VDC, and Hill Assist warning lights. After much research it looks to be pretty common on the 08+ models, caused by a faulty brake switch. Fiddled with the switch for a bit, didn't find anything amiss, but on two subsequent drives no lights, so who knows.....

In any case, I really don't care about ABS, VDC, and hill assist being absent anyhow, lol. Just the annoying bright warning lights :)

Back to the e30, had a couple packages waiting at home for me. The first was about 20 days coming....two new window cranks that I picked up for about $8 each (pretty cheap compared to most out there). So now I have three total!

more interesting was the packaging they came in......gotta love ebay international!

Also the new center driveshaft bearing assembly came in a day early, so of course had to install. Getting the old one off was simple with a big gear puller. I didn't notice any particular gritty-ness or grabbing...felt like a good bearning and turned smoothly. I'm hoping that under load it was no good. Otherwise this was an exercise in pointlessness.

New one was a bit of a hassle to get on, not having a slide hammer (mental note....). The splined axle was long enough that I couldn't find much of anything to fit over it that was long enough to seat the new bearing. Eventually I stacked up a few of my press collars and got it done

tomorrow hopefully will get the exhaust and shields back on and be able to try it out. If I still have noise, the only thing left is the diff. So I guess I'll just have to deal with it....
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

got the DS and exhaust all put back together (after having to improv some exhaust hardware due to really crappy manifold studs, grr. Had to put the original ugly/rusty manifold back on until I can fix the studs on the powdercoated one).

Went for a spin and the car felt great, with a few minor exceptions:
                            1. need to do a better brake bleed job. Still got a bit of mush and squeak.
                            2. the snow tires are so soft, I can't really push the car much. I'll be ordering my Star Specs tonight for the euroweaves. I want to feel the car with good street tires :)
                            3. no more noise from the DS tunnel, so I guess the old CSB was indeed bad. I still am getting some light (rumble?) from the back end, but it's tough to tell if it's the diff, if a brake backing plate is slightly rubbing, if a bearing is bad, or if the snow tires are just really, really loud. I'm leaning toward the loud tires, but we'll see soon enough.

Overall, I think it's kind of funny that this car has less rattles now inside than my 3-year-old WRX does. Then again, the WRX springs are about twice the rate so the bumps and road imperfections are much more apparent. Of course, the WRX makes up for it with more than triple the horsepower, lol.

Also blacked out the rear windshield/window trim finisher, which had turned all brownish. Much cleaner now.

A couple night pics for the hell of it

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

A few trusims:

1. Married, kid, living in the 'burbs, I have no social life to speak of.
                              2. Car is out in the driveway tonight, since I"m cleaning up the disaster area in the garage where it's been on stands for the last month.
                              3. I hate it when the garage reeks of gasoline.

Due to these three facts, it is Friday night and I decided an hour ago to do a small project that I really wasn't looking forward to. Noticed while spending hours under the car that the fuel lines at the pressure regulator/carbon canister/emissions crap was all cracked and nasty. Broken fuel line is not something I want, so needed to replace this. The arrangemnt in that area is not exactly condusive to people without tiny hands, especially when all the hose clamps are oriented in directions where they're next to impossible to loosen.

But since, again, I have nothing going on on a Friday night, and the car is outside, and it's not terribly cold.....might as well :(

As expected, it was more of a hassle than it seems like it should have been. And due to the positing I had to be in, I got a nice flow of gasoline right up the sleeve of my sweatshirt tking off one of the lines.

But the new lines are in, and that's one less thing to worry about. I plan to fab up a rock shield of sorts for this area, since it looks ripe to get damaged by flying gravel or other debris.

Anyhow, new lines in...

Old line and hardware....

Got around to putting a crapload of tools away and reorganizing my drawers, since my original setup had some drawers getting too crowded with tools.

yay...now I can find things I need again...

Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Spent most of the afternoon washing and cleaning the cars. Why I have 4 black cars is beyond me, because they look crappy even when clean, at least in daylight, lol.

Then got the hardware I wanted to finish up my "cargo area" where the backseat used to be. About $10 worth of stuff from home depot, I think this will do the job.

Also test-painted one of the tan door panels, with some paint made for plastic/vinyl. Came out ok, but it was fairly cool outside today, and I think they paint will work better on a warm day.

And fitted my swap-meet sport trunk spoiler. I'm going to take it back off to sand/paint it, but I wanted to get it on there for the hell of it.

Next week it's time to investigate my high idle issue (anywhere from 1800 to 4000 rpms with no rhyme or reason to it). I'm pretty certain I have no air leaks, so I'm going to clean the MAF assembly and IAC valve and see how that does...
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X