Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanna do it all over again, but with my car?

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
    2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
      Wanna do it all over again, but with my car?
      We can do it with your car, sure. Let's wait until the weather is nicer though.

You coming into DC tomorrow to help the Joshes try to get Josh S's car ready? I'll be there. You can be an honorary Josh.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
        We can do it with your car, sure. Let's wait until the weather is nicer though.

You coming into DC tomorrow to help the Joshes try to get Josh S's car ready? I'll be there. You can be an honorary Josh.
        Can't, I gotta fix up the I30 tomorrow, then go pick up the E28 from the shop. I hope he gets it running soon though! I'm aiming to take the E28 to the Solo TnT on Sunday at FedEx....wanna come?

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
          Can't, I gotta fix up the I30 tomorrow, then go pick up the E28 from the shop. I hope he gets it running soon though! I'm aiming to take the E28 to the Solo TnT on Sunday at FedEx....wanna come?
          nah, I'm gonna be gone all day tomorrow (work in the morning, then into DC to help Josh all afternoon and into the evening if necessary). Sunday gotta do some family time (and change the rear brakes on Carin's Sequoia). Next time this car does any tarmac motorsport, it will be at Summit Point, I think..... :D

Testing the car out on grippy tarmac is not the way I want to prepare for the rallycross opener anyhow. I may drive the e30 into DC tomorrow though.....that will be a really good way to test out the suspension on rough terrain ;)
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Looks like Josh S. won't have the M52 swap done in time so he's co-driving the ETA as the 4th driver just so he can run (though he could certainly win in that car too). As it stands, looks like we'll have over 40 cars at the first event (including over a dozen BMW drivers), so that's good for business.

Anyhow, some last-second project stuff: Rebuilding the fuel/brake line protection that finally got ripped off at the end of last year (they lasted 3 full seasons, so that's good). Doing it the same way this time, but made them to fit better and be better secured this time. So another one of my heavy-duty rubbermaid storage bins is now without a lid..

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So, will do a full update on the season opener tonight or in the next couple days, but a few quick takes:

1. My e30 has finally gotten some oddball electrical gremlins that made for a frustrating day (ok, more just annoying since none of them affected performance). I think I have figured them out after ripping the dash apart today, but more on that later.

2. The new suspension feels exactly how I had hoped it would on the rough terrain. I'm pretty damn pleased with my calculations for spring rates and heights - though I do have to get used to some of the new handling dynamics of the car.

3. In spite of some wildly inconsistent driving by me that had back-to-back runs often differing by almost 4 seconds and more cones than I like, I still managed to win MR for the first event by 6 seconds over Nick (also trying some new suspension stuff that I don't think he's as happy with). I also put up the 2nd best total time in our 20+ car run group, with only the SA champion edging my out by a few seconds (with totals over 600 seconds). The M4, PA, and PR group has some course alterations, so really can't compare them too well with our group.

4. Miatas driven by Shawn Roberts, even with no brakes all afternoon, can still finish a close 2nd in PR to a well-driven e30. The guys in PR should probably start worrying about it when his brakes are fixed :)
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

#1 is why our BMW is named "Fritz"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 42 View Post
                  #1 is why our BMW is named "Fritz"
                  In the previous 3 seasons of driving and rallycrossing this car, I've had no real electrical issues (other than the usual e30 gauge cluster garbage). The ones this weekend were really strange (e.g. elec fan coming on with headlights, fuel and coolant temp gauges pegged to the far right, some but not all dash lights working). It was like there was a ghost in the car.

I think I've figured them out though. Still out in the garage messing with things.
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I still managed to win MR for the first event by 6 seconds over Nick (also trying some new suspension stuff that I don't think he's as happy with).
                    That's putting it mildly. The car didn't want to go straight, it just wanted to spin in circles. We were constantly reacting and fighting the car. I think raising the back end up nearly 2" is the primary culprit; I'm less suspicious of the increased spring rate. Time to start cutting coils! Since there are roughly twice as many coils in the rear springs as the fronts, I think I'm going to cut two rear coils and one front. We shall see.

Comment

^^you probably have one or two dead coils anyhow, so you may be able to cut without drastically changing the rate anyhow.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

In the previous 3 seasons of driving and rallycrossing this car, I've had no real electrical issues (other than the usual e30 gauge cluster garbage). It was like there was a ghost in the car.

I think I've figured them out though. Still out in the garage messing with things.
                        Yup, most of mine are in the dashboard, especially the instrument cluster.

Was yours mud related?

Comment

Nope, as it turns out mine were all related to my headlight switch interior dimmer (the twist knob) going bad. Apparently I wired some of my gauges to the dimmer interior line and others to the regular interior lighting wire. Everything that touched the dimmer ground wire went haywire when the knob turned off "max."

Strange, but hopefully all is now fixed. I did manage to get a nice little burn working on a wire I didn't know was hot (fog light lead, which I mistook for my fan jumper). When the dash comes out later to do the cage, I'm going to redo all the interior wiring from the firewall back, I think.
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

2015 WDCR Event #1 Recap

Ok, a quick recap of the first event!

First of all, there were 19 RWD cars entered at this event, so that is pretty awesome. In addition to a bunch of e30s (including an IX) and Nick's e28, we had Shawn and Katie in a new (to them) Miata, some guys driving the hell out of a stock Volvo 240 in SR, the Jeffs running a 5-series wagon in SR, and Theresa Thao in her RX-7 that has run at nationals a few times (I guess she moved to this area so will hopefully keep running with us).

With Josh S. not getting his M52 swap quite done in time, he co-drove the ETA with Eric Helgesen in MR (with the two others driving it in PR). We also had several e30 newcomers, which is excellent since we've been working hard recruiting via our FB group and various net forums. Overall, about 50 drivers came out for this first event which is the most we've had at the new venue since we left Summit.

As usual the course was flowing and fast in the morning which I didn't really think boded well for me against the power cars. But I was pretty pleased with how the suspension reacted to the higher speed transitions - much more predictable than it used to be with less body lean. I led from the start and managed to hold onto a small lead at the lunch break over Nick. I picked up 5 cones in the morning to Nick's two, and still led so I think I was driving pretty well, and none of the cones were "hard hits"...mostly just ones I nicked. At the same time, Nick was struggling a bit learning their new rear suspension setup, which is higher and stiffer than the old one (see his thread for more details on that).

In the PM the course tightened up with a lot of slaloms and a tighter hairpin. Normally this would help me out but the stiffer setup actually made me feel a bit less comfortable in the slaloms than normal. The car doesn't "dance" quite as well as it did and I had a couple runs that were nearly major disasters (including one where I was at full opposite lock coming through finish and somehow didn't take out the entire finish gate after getting "all over the place" in the slalom before the finish.

In the end, Nick and I were back and forth run-wise in the afternoon, but I had about 5-6 seconds with a few runs left and let off a bit to be more "careful" (which is never a good idea and almost caused a spin). In the meantime, NIck put up a few good runs but coned twice on his last run trying to close the gap. In the end, I won by 6 seconds and had no cones in the afternoon, which is a minor miracle of its own.

Most surprisingly, Eric Helgesen - in the beat-up ETA and only in his 2nd year - has gotten quite good and actually had a couple of the fastest runs in the PM. He ended up about 10 seconds behind Nick, but did beat the other three drivers in the class.

In any case, good start to the season for me. I have a few minor car adjustments to make but won't do much until I get a couple more events to feel it out and get used to it. I have some electrical stuff to finish fixing, but that's really boring so I won't mention it further.

Here's the results:

PR was an even bigger class, with a bunch of e30s taking on Shawn and Katie in their Miata - replacing the nearly-dead RX7 that won Shawn three titles in three seasons. Even with his brakes almost non-functional in the afternoon, Shawn still managed to take 2nd to Stephen.

Here's the PR results:

And a few more pics by Ed Palaszynski, whos son Mike was running the other M42 car :)

Yeah Justy!!!
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Are the pics posted up on facebook? They look great!

Comment

Irish's M42 '85 318i rallycross, rallysprint and soon stage rally build

Amazing stuff!! Bump for update!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X