The complete repair, rebuild, repaint, and v8 swap of my early model sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice!
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Finished up welding and grinding the c-pillar seam. I left the welds high because that entire area is low. Welded and grinded the rocker and door jam, but I think they will need some more filling and grinding. Then it's on to the rear seams. These should be easy, most of it is hidden by the bumper.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Finished welding the 1/4 panel on today. I have some touching up to do here and there, but it's 99% complete. Wasn't nearly as hard to do as I thought it would be.

Test fitted one of the rear wheels today. Looks like it will be tight with a 235/40/17, may need to pound on the outer wheel well housing a bit, as it rubbed under hard 1-2 shifts with the 205/50/16 on a 16x7 et8, and this is a 17x9 et25. I'm hoping my stiffer spring rates with the coilovers will help.

Comment

I also spent some time overlaying some dyno graphs. I took a typical OBD-I s52 dyno and layed a typical m60 graph over it, and also layed my old m50 w/s50 cams dyno over it as well.

Interesting how the m60 and s52 HP curves are nearly identical, just that the m60 is shifted about 1000 rpm's earlier. I'm curious to see how an m60 e30 will compare to an s52 e30, once the cars are rolling and both in their powerbands. I don't think it will be a huge difference, given gearing/weight is similar between the cars. Regardless, that torque curve spells out F-U-N :)

Comment

I just noticed this thread when I was poking around the various BMW sites. Absolutely amazing! I love the idea that you're saving that car rather than just tossing it and getting another one. It's going to be an incredible E30!

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              I also spent some time overlaying some dyno graphs. I took a typical OBD-I s52 dyno and layed a typical m60 graph over it, and also layed my old m50 w/s50 cams dyno over it as well.

Interesting how the m60 and s52 HP curves are nearly identical, just that the m60 is shifted about 1000 rpm's earlier. I'm curious to see how an m60 e30 will compare to an s52 e30, once the cars are rolling and both in their powerbands. I don't think it will be a huge difference, given gearing/weight is similar between the cars. Regardless, that torque curve spells out F-U-N :)

Nice, thanks for doing that!

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Having spent a lot of years building and dyno tuning engines, i can tell you by looking at that chart that the M60 car, if equipped with the same gear,tire size and weight as the S52 car ,would leave it for dead. The M60 is putting down 50 more lb ft in some places! No contest.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Dropped the engine in the car... just because :)

I still need to lower the subframe and make the engine mounts, it's just kinda sitting in there for now.

Comment

BTW, that removable rad support is probably the best mod I've ever done to this car in 11 years of ownership. Took me about 4 minutes to put that engine where it's at, by myself, without even getting dirty.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                    Having spent a lot of years building and dyno tuning engines, i can tell you by looking at that chart that the M60 car, if equipped with the same gear,tire size and weight as the S52 car ,would leave it for dead. The M60 is putting down 50 more lb ft in some places! No contest.
                    Nice, glad to hear that! This car with the ZF and a 2.93 will have nearly identical gearing to my m50 with the g260 and a 3.73. So at the very least, it will be light years faster then that... at 4k, it's making 115 lb/ft more, lol.

Comment

Because RACECAR! :)

Comment

I just caved and bought the 300mm.de engine mounts from a guy in NY.

I really wanted to make my own, but after putting the engine in and seeing how difficult it is to work in there (especially in my little garage without a lift), I just feel my time would be better spent elsewhere if I hope to get this car on the road this spring.

The exhaust is going to take me a while as it is, there is NO room between the trans and steering shaft with the e36 M3 rack in there. I'm definitely going to need the Flaming River steering joints to make it possible, but it will still be difficult.

Comment

Love seeing that huge motor in there!
                          sigpic

Comment

Sweet project man...I had a similar level of construction on one of my old nissan projects, I learned all my MIG on that one...its the best way to learn. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I can't even begin to list everything I've learned during this rebuild, it's been awesome.

Comment

Did some work on the 1/4 panel today.

Banged on the metal a bit, did some grinding, and it is now much better (considering what I started with...)

After a coat of fiberglass filler:

It's ready for a coat of bondo, then I'll start working on the tail light area.

Comment

Working...
                                X