No announcement yet.

The complete repair, rebuild, repaint, and v8 swap of my early model sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put the rebuilt axle in, took it for a test drive, made it 20 miles, and the CV joint blew apart. Had to get it towed home again.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Shit.....thats discouraging. Think you got a bad one, or were you wailing on it?

Maybe its wishful thinking, but I would have to think that the stock axles should be able to hold up to daily driving? I mean, sure you can break something if you wanted to, but I never looked at a stock E30 rear end like it was made of paper. I'm surprised your chewing through CV joints. What the plan moving forward?

Comment

M Coupe/Roadster bits????

Comment

Hmmm, maybe the early axles ARE weak vs late model? So many guys pushing WAY more than 300 and are ok on e30 rear ends.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Pulled the axle out, the 32mm nut was loose. No idea how/why. I definitely 100% positively torqued it

As soon as I pulled it out, I noticed play in the hub. So I figured the rear bearing is shot. No idea if this is related to the axle failures. But it moved a LOT. I felt/heard nothing while driving though. The splines in the hub are also destroyed.

Pulled out the $300 Sir Tools B90 kit. After some cranking, I ruined the tool. Bent the 1" (yes, ONE INCH) steel plate. Also destroyed the ebrake, backing plate, brake lines, and everything else that is back there. I kept going, but couldn't get my 3' breaker bar to turn any more. The hub didn't budge.

So, my only option is to swap in a new trailing arm, hub, bearing, ebrake, backing plate and axle, and hope the problem magically goes away. That's not going to happen for a few months, I'm leaving the car on jackstands and resuming normal life for now. I have no desire to continue working on the car at this point. It's not worth it at all.

Comment

Wow. Just catching up here. Theres gotta be something that can be done.

There's gotta be someone on the forums here who has a trailing arm assy lying around. Swap the ebrake parts and you should be ok to go.

I know you're tired of working on that damn car...but sinking another couple hundred bucks CANNOT be the reason that you don't show off this stunning automonile to the entire east coast in a few weeks.

Get some sleep, wake up tomorrow, and solve the problem. SOMEONE on the forum has to help you out....you've done so much for this forum. It's about time it pays you back albeit in the 11th hour.
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Get a trailing arm, new bearing, have a local shop put a new bearing in, and new bushings, and new axle :)

Sucks man, I know how sometimes you do need a break from the car(s), you'll power through it.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Geez man, you can't catch a break. But as Jean said, sleep on it and give it a few days. I've been there so many times with my car, and been back out there after a few days. And it isn't anywhere near the amount of work and patience that has gone into your car.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

It seems like you have the small axles - they can't even hold a stock m20b25.

Get the larger ones with a hump on the middle of the axle and you will be ok.

You might have to change the trailing arms if you have the small wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      Pulled the axle out, the 32mm nut was loose. No idea how/why. I definitely 100% positively torqued it

As soon as I pulled it out, I noticed play in the hub. So I figured the rear bearing is shot. No idea if this is related to the axle failures. But it moved a LOT. I felt/heard nothing while driving though. The splines in the hub are also destroyed.
                      This is normal as the axle and 32mm nut is what is clamping the wheel bearing together.

I had the same issue with NEW bearings and thought something was wrong.

As soon as I put the axles in and torqued the nuts it was all tight and good.

Comment

Originally posted by kristov View Post
                        It seems like you have the small axles - they can't even hold a stock m20b25.

Get the larger ones with a hump on the middle of the axle and you will be ok.

You might have to change the trailing arms if you have the small wheel bearings.

They held the 190whp m50 for 4 abusive years (including launches with slicks), and they had 300k miles on them. The rebuilt one lasted 20 non-abusive miles, and the nut was loose when I removed it. I don't think the axle is to blame here. The first one broke due to abuse, the second one broke because it was loose and something is wrong, with the hub and/or bearing. Or maybe the axle wasn't pushed in far enough, which would bind up the cv joint.

Originally posted by kristov View Post
                        This is normal as the axle and 32mm nut is what is clamping the wheel bearing together.

I had the same issue with NEW bearings and thought something was wrong.

As soon as I put the axles in and torqued the nuts it was all tight and good.

Ahh, I didn't even think of that. Well, I needed to get it out anyway, as the splines are jacked.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                          They held the 190whp m50 for 4 abusive years (including launches with slicks), and they had 300k miles on them. The rebuilt one lasted 20 non-abusive miles, and the nut was loose when I removed it. I don't think the axle is to blame here. The first one broke due to abuse, the second one broke because it was loose and something is wrong, with the hub and/or bearing. Or maybe the axle wasn't pushed in far enough, which would bind up the cv joint.

Ahh, I didn't even think of that. Well, I needed to get it out anyway, as the splines are jacked.
                          I have two trailing arms with OE axles/ bearings/ brakes etc. still attatched to them. They were the original TA's that were in my 318is. I was holding onto them in case I wanted to go back to 4 lug one day but you have to make it to bimmerfest dammit!! Let me know if you want them. $50... Hell just drive down here and pick them up for free so I don't have to package them! Buy me some beers at Bimmerfest or something. I like Newcastle.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                            I have two trailing arms with OE axles/ bearings/ brakes etc. still attatched to them. They were the original TA's that were in my 318is. I was holding onto them in case I wanted to go back to 4 lug one day but you have to make it to bimmerfest dammit!! Let me know if you want them. $50... Hell just drive down here and pick them up for free so I don't have to package them! Buy me some beers at Bimmerfest or something. I like Newcastle.

PM coming your way!

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                              Exactly why the E30 community is one of the best I have been a part of!

:up:
                              Originally posted by blunttech
                              Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post
                                Exactly why the E30 community is one of the best I have been a part of!

:up:
                                Exactly. It never ceases to amaze me.

I'm picking up those parts from Ryan tonight. Hopefully everything bolts right on to my early car without any issues. This will also give me the larger wheel bearings and the more common trailing arms, rear axles and hubs.

I still don't feel like doing it haha. I'm burnt out.

Comment

Working...
                                X