Kamotors E30-Turbo to ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
    Still looks a bit high for my taste by about 5+ degrees around 100kpa, usually around 27-30 for peak torque there
    cool, I knocked it down to 28 and then lowered the value around to make a nice smooth graph.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
      Like I said its an opinion, park on top of a patch of sand and dump the clutch with both diffs and the clutch type locks real aggressive while torsens take off similar to an open diff in the way that it tracks straight 99.9% of the time and you actually move forward.

Its not an issue like i was on a worn diff since I've had 5 different diffs since I've owned the car, a torsen diff really doesn't fish tail under hard accell. I'm willing to bet drifters probably hate torsens for that fact.

also since I've done at least 2 snow season on each type of diff I can say a torsen is also MUCH more controlled for snow driving in about 1"-2" of snow, anything more and I just drove a different car.
      Torsens are great for oem purposes and street cars. They handle differently-

I've built up torsens for e36m and e30 use, both required much different suspension setups than standard to extract lap time out of them.

Bmw Torsens actually do not lock; there was a genius invention called "torsen GLEASON" that did lock- very rare to find in modern times; it was popular during the Can◇Am period of insane racing.

The reason the torsen does not / cannot send one sideways in sand/ snow is because it does NOT LOCK.

torsens have a bias ratio; when one wheel is overwhelmed the gear cluster is designed to send a % of the avail torque to it- not 100% like a clutch or viscous lsd etc. When a wheel is in the air the math cannot equate- there is no load and the equation cannot happen.

Torsen handles like = open diff unless its at max bias when you dont want it to be; then it handles terrible; I've found large front sway bar and smaller rear helps- so does changing driver style to start the corner and apply throttle before apex to engage the bias-action to outside tire.

Its similar to a honda atts thats designed to send torque to the outside wheel in the corner electronically- just with a gear cluster mechanism. When the power overwhelms the inside tire the gear cluster sends torque outwards through the outside stub axel spider.

Open diff actually handles the best if you have no lack of grip (no power giant hooisers) and are on a road course etc.

My 1995 GC8 right hand drive STi-RA had a r180 sure track torsen rear diff installed with DCCD center e-clutch type diff (rear biased). When attacking steep uphill hair pins the car would lift inside rear tire; when I hit the gas the bias ratio was moot and 70% of 238awhp was going to rear- fronts would claw a little but the weight is all on the ouside rear tire in a uphill hairpin. Car would not engage tire on ground- as torsen = open when a wheel is airborne; a clutch type diff or viscous would not have this issue.

Solution? Hand brake. For those times a lowered torsen car has one wheel in the air (ie san Francisco driveway or parking or race track)- apply the hand brake for some resistance to the airborne wheel.

For drifting/ serious doughnuts a torsen is miserable; barely better than an open.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

^well that sums it up. like I said tracks like an open in the slippery stuff, but lets you do sweet donuts like a regular LSD, I do donuts like every week and I love it:)
        open diffs can not do donuts, they basically just spin the inside wheel at 40mph while you drive in circles.
        Torsen diffs definitely do fine donuts
        Last edited by kamotors; 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

^well that sums it up. like I said tracks like an open in the slippery stuff, but lets you do sweet donuts like a regular LSD, I do donuts like every week and I love it:)
          open diffs can not do donuts, they basically just spin the inside wheel at 40mph while you drive in circles.
          Torsen diffs definitely do fine donuts
          open diffs let you do doughnuts clockwise only. miata, rx7, e36M will all do doughnuts with an open -but only clockwise for some weird reason.

torsens do fake doughnuts; I have had them in both e30 and e36 and tried my fare share untill sick of it and I went back to a clutch type unit.
          Torsen is always bias-ing and does not really stop; its job is to be constantly juggling its math.

Torsens don't actually do doughnuts like a welded diff or clutch type (or viscous) - Try it; pick an object and make a video doing drift style doughnuts around it- not natural for torsens.
          With a clutch type diff or a welded one can use 1 hand and throttle modulation to easily do doughnuts around an object; not chase your tail like a torsen "doughnut"

clutch lsd or welded diff is king of doughnuts- both wheels actually go the same speed and put down 11's.

torsen is horrid for drag racing also, a local picked up 0.3-0.4 on his 60 foot and went from 9.6 to about 9.3 just on the traction.
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 05-29-2013, 10:36 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Guess I'll be filming a video lol. I can run pretty smooth circles on my torsen the same as I did with my 3.73LSD.
            I'm on potenza re070's and I have no problem spinning tight or large circles with throttle modulation. Of course I can just smash the pedal and do lame donuts but I have no problem spinning controlled donuts with my diff and I guarantee you it puts down 11's around corners as well as straight lines every time.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Guess I'll be filming a video lol. I can run pretty smooth circles on my torsen the same as I did with my 3.73LSD.
              I'm on potenza re070's and I have no problem spinning tight or large circles with throttle modulation. Of course I can just smash the pedal and do lame donuts but I have no problem spinning controlled donuts with my diff and I guarantee you it puts down 11's around corners as well as straight lines every time.
              I've had torsens in my own car - the basic design of a torsen (non gleason) does NOT LOCK- it cannot, will not, does not want to lock.

it biases back and forth- if you have enough power you can shread 2 tires sure- but you still CANNOT DRIFT :) -it will power over; similar to an open diff car with ACS/DSC activated and the throttle blocker removed (common in e39 540 sports)

to do real doughnuts requires the diff to lock- make a drift video and show us what magical torsen taming skills can do. :)

Comment

and book a dyno while you're at it :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                  I've had torsens in my own car - the basic design of a torsen (non gleason) does NOT LOCK- it cannot, will not, does not want to lock.

it biases back and forth- if you have enough power you can shread 2 tires sure- but you still CANNOT DRIFT :) -it will power over; similar to an open diff car with ACS/DSC activated and the throttle blocker removed (common in e39 540 sports)

to do real doughnuts requires the diff to lock- make a drift video and show us what magical torsen taming skills can do. :)
                  I said drifters wouldn't like it but you can definitely do donuts with a torsen, even when I was N/A automatic with a 4.27torsen I could still do donuts. I'm not a drifter....

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                    and book a dyno while you're at it :p

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

seems to spin both tires just fine as well as being able to spins what I call "donuts".
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNU06...ature=youtu.be
                      Last edited by kamotors; 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Are we all sharing videos of us spinning in circles?

-Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

doesnt work lol^

7speedshop.com

Comment

My friend recorded it with a toaster and uploaded it to face book, Idk how to get it to work. Lol

Comment

7speedshop.com

Comment

Car looks great man! Been debating on flares or over fenders in my future.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Idk how to embed, my life is a failure. NVM i did it, my life is somewhat still livable.

Comment

Working...
                                X