Seeking Sage Wisdom for 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great purchase man!!
    And don't tuck the bumpers get a swap instead..
    IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Lighing upgrades are great bang for your buck. Start with headlights; maybe H1/H4. Can also make your rear lights brighter (search). Interoir lighting can also be improved.

For performance I would simply do the chip and a 3.25 diff and then do some mild suspension mods without dropping it much. I would also probably go with euroweaves with a decent 205 width tire.

You have a nice blank canvas but I would enjoy the torque and economy of a mostly stock Eta. I would consider reinforcing certain structural areas such as door hinge, trailing arm sway bar attachment, and so on. Also do some preventative maintenance and address areas that tend to rust on our cars over time such as around the license plate lights, the fuel line cover in the RR wheel well, and make sure all body drains function perfectly, etc.

I would do a few body cosmetic mods last.

Have fun.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Are all the diffs available for e30s direct replacement parts?? I see the 3.25 recommended a lot. Is there a DIY write-up for diff swapping?
        /______\_o_/______\
        l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
        \ #___======___# /
        |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

It's pretty self-explanatory. Remove yoke bolts, remove axle bolts, remove diff-to-subframe bolts, remove diff bushing bolt, installation is reverse.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            It's pretty self-explanatory. Remove yoke bolts, remove axle bolts, remove diff-to-subframe bolts, remove diff bushing bolt, installation is reverse.
            This is tru of most e30 diffs but the 3.25 is from an e28 or e24.
            This will require the additional steps of swapping the cover and stub axles over from the e30 diff.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
              This is tru of most e30 diffs but the 3.25 is from an e28 or e24.
              This will require the additional steps of swapping the cover and stub axles over from the e30 diff.
              True. I was assuming he would be buying one from the forums since he's shopping for bumpers here as well.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

So in the interest of simplicity, I should stick with an e30 LSD.... which are direct replacement parts.... ??
                /______\_o_/______\
                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                \ #___======___# /
                |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
                  So in the interest of simplicity, I should stick with an e30 LSD.... which are direct replacement parts.... ??
                  Its just as easy ...just not unbolt and bolt in the new one.
                  The cover and stub axles can be swapped over from your current diff. Easy as pie.

With an Eta the onle Eta available ratios are the 2.79 and the 2.93 so anything else from an e3o will be too short of a gear.
                  The 3.25 is a great ratio and is about the shortest you want while still having an Eta valvetrain.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Funny, everyone (including you) seems to be ignoring those pesky check panel lights. Those seem like a great way to get to know your car better. Start with, say, the washer fluid one. It's just a simple circuit. Either a wire is cut/disconnected or the sensor in the tank is hung up or faulty. Easy fix.

Which brake lights warning is on? On the check panel or in the cluster?

Try removing the brake light bulbs and cleaning the contacts then reinstalling.

Comment

Very nice car! It's in beautiful condition. What area of west Georgia are you in? I'm a west Georgian myself!
                      '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
                      '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
                      '12 Mini Cooper S
                      '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
                        Funny, everyone (including you) seems to be ignoring those pesky check panel lights. Those seem like a great way to get to know your car better. Start with, say, the washer fluid one. It's just a simple circuit. Either a wire is cut/disconnected or the sensor in the tank is hung up or faulty. Easy fix.

+1

More than once, I found myself putting the reverse bulb in the rear driving light spot to get home after the check panel illuminated.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post

I'm with you. I'm generally not the type to "ignore" things the car is telling me. But sometimes it's a legitimate hypochondriac. Like the Check Brake Lights (on the check panel). The maintenance folder I have goes back to the original owner in 84. It's been a problem since then. They've replaced just about everything on that joker that has to do with the check panel, and it always came back on a little while later. When I press the brake pedal or go revers, the brake lights come on, that's what I need it to do.

I'm ultimately more concerned about the engine, tranny, cooling system, etc. on this car.

What catches my eye is how the woman who owned it brought it in time and again with the "brake lights" check panel problem, and at least once there is documentation of the "owner declining the timing belt and water pump replacement, despite being warned of the potential consequences.

So if you see these two things in your car, you have to prioritize, the check panel light's not going to cannibalize the car, a failed timing belt may very well do so. Hence, my priorities are/were: 1. major points of failure
                          2. Everything else.

It's a 27 year old car, the computer's not going to be perfect, and I'm ok with that.

**Edit: After reading my post, it sounds a little flippant. Not my intention. I DO appreciate the advice, but I was just trying to share my train of thought with the group.

*** 2ND Edit- And I did pull a washer fluid res. and the sensor- replaced and sensor is functioning! Saved me money. Love it.
                          /______\_o_/______\
                          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                          \ #___======___# /
                          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

So... failure.

I'm sad to report that I excitedly attempted to put my TMS chip in last night, only to discover the old one was soldered in. When I reassembled everything, put the DME back inot the car, no start. (Yes I re-connected the battery), the starter was going all day long, but no spark or fuel (that I could hear)...

I'm thinking of getting charger and trickle charging the battery, but it still bugs me... what would make my battery go like that? I didn't have the interior lights on while I was doing any of this. I disconnected the batt, took the DME inside, reassembled the DME, put it in, then splat... why would it do that?
                            /______\_o_/______\
                            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                            \ #___======___# /
                            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

come on, someone help a brother out!
                              /______\_o_/______\
                              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                              \ #___======___# /
                              |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Is your battery dead? I'm not sure what you are asking.
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                                Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                                1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                                1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                                1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                                1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X