Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F34R's wooden roof rack(finished/installed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks great! I hope you don't mind if I was to go a similar route to do a rack for my e30. You have great woodworking skills btw, have you ever thought about restoring antique boats? I bet you would enjoy it, and you can make some good money.

http://halden-fabricius.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shaferbm View Post
      I love this thread so much. You're doing this right!
      Thanks

Originally posted by iSOregon View Post
      ive been wanting to do this and wood flooring in the trunk for a long time. when the weather gets nice up here its on. cant wait to see the finished product
      Do it, I waited longer than I wanted to do this one. I am so excited =)

Make sure you use the correct wood for outdoor use.
      Oil is the fastest/easiest way to protect the surface. Don't go cheap if you go this route! I am waxing mine after the finish bakes in the sun for the day/cools over night.

Originally posted by hfabricius View Post
      This looks great! I hope you don't mind if I was to go a similar route to do a rack for my e30. You have great woodworking skills btw, have you ever thought about restoring antique boats? I bet you would enjoy it, and you can make some good money.
      Not at all, I honestly believe the way I designed it is the best way for support and securing things. Why did you mention the boat restoring? I have always wanted to buy an old wooden boat and work my magic.
      Last edited by F34R; 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
        Not at all, I honestly believe the way I designed it is the best way for support and securing things. Why did you mention the boat restoring? I have always wanted to buy an old wooden boat and work my magic.
        I have grown up around wooden boat my entire life. My dad restores boats in his spare time and I work for a guy about 10 miles from my house from time to time that also restores boats. I think you could do some great work on a classic boat. The nicest classic we owned was a 1924 Dolphin Hacker 24ft long with an inline flathead six. Rode like a dream and sounded incredible.

Comment

I have grown up around wooden boat my entire life. My dad restores boats in his spare time and I work for a guy about 10 miles from my house from time to time that also restores boats. I think you could do some great work on a classic boat. The nicest classic we owned was a 1924 Dolphin Hacker 24ft long with an inline flathead six. Rode like a dream and sounded incredible.
          That's awesome, and I believe anyone can work with wood. Just takes time and patience, if you rush it you WILL make mistakes and hardwood is not a cheap place to do that! The plank of White Oak I used for this rack was about 300.

I want to find something like this to restore:
          Attached Files

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

That is freakin gorgeous. Do you have any info on it? What was it built for?

A build thread perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by A Sucked Orange View Post
              That is freakin gorgeous. Do you have any info on it? What was it built for?

A build thread perhaps?
              No info at all, I don't own any boats or know anything about them. I just know I want one that looks like that! Always loved the two seaters with the tail pipes coming out the back.

Found it here:

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

That's awesome, and I believe anyone can work with wood. Just takes time and patience, if you rush it you WILL make mistakes and hardwood is not a cheap place to do that! The plank of White Oak I used for this rack was about 300.

I want to find something like this to restore:
                Thats actually a repro based on the plans of a Hacker designed gentleman's racer. I good friend of my dads built one and it is incredible, I took a ride in it once and I will never forget that. There are plans all over the internet and they are pretty straightforward. I will have to dig up some pictures from last years Muskoka Lake, Toronto International Boat Show.

Comment

Thats actually a repro based on the plans of a Hacker designed gentleman's racer. I good friend of my dads built one and it is incredible, I took a ride in it once and I will never forget that. There are plans all over the internet and they are pretty straightforward. I will have to dig up some pictures from last years Muskoka Lake, Toronto International Boat Show.
                  Repro or not it is still amazing! I don't mind building mine from the ground up, I would prefer it.

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Repro or not it is still amazing! I don't mind building mine from the ground up, I would prefer it.
                    Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with repro's. My dad and I would like to build one of those. I believe that friend of ours has an ls in his. You can put some monster power plants in some of these boats. I have pics of a replica gentleman's racer with a Gale Banks twin turbo 454. Its a monster and it goes like hell.

Edit: Here we go
                    Last edited by hfabricius; 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

11 coats later here she is!!!!! hope you guys like it =)

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Looks great, good job!

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm building a rack too. I'll post pictures soo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
                            Thanks for the inspiration, I'm building a rack too. I'll post pictures soo.
                            You're most welcome =) any questions at all shoot me a PM and I will answer them and help in anyway I can.

Wooster bristle brush, and VERY light coats of poly. Take your time and the coats will not need any drip clean up after the curing. Wait 4-6 hrs in between coats. Then 220 light sanding after they cure over night. Two coats per day is the max you can do. If you do too many the layers will never dry correctly. Then you will get cracking in the poly when it does dry over time. Once done let dry for 24hrs then wax them all. I also drilled out the holes after I was done to get the poly overflow out of the bolts holes.

Make sure you predrill all the holes before staining. And here is a trick: take your time on ONE slat and get the holes perfect measurement. Drill out then clamp one slat at a time and use the one you drilled out as a mock up to make the holes the same.

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

so sick, i love how you eliminated the standard crossbars.

Comment

I think Im gunna do it in teak.

Comment

Working...
                                X