No announcement yet.

The good the bad and the ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are definitely nearing the end of this project.

almost the final painting.

Putting mothers back to black on thee front grill and the things below the windshield wipers.

If anyone knows what they are called let me know

heres a picture with the bumper off. cleaning some age old dirt from here.

and this is coat one of the front body kit.

And then Im also sanding the rear quarter panel. respraying the quarter panel with clear, and spraying the front body kit with clear

then this project of detailing is over. My e30 will look like anyone elses.

I honestly mothballed my e30 for around 4 months this year. Tried to sell it as it was and only had one serious buyer. Drove around a miata and a civic. And a previa, any of which I like more than the old warhorse.

there is nothing like modern throttle, i know I want a modern car as my dd.

but now that it looks good I take it to get groceries.

Its sunny out in humboldts micro winter so you know everyone is jealous. Definitely should enjoy the bmw as a non eyesore for a few months before selling it at least.
    Last edited by stamar; 08-19-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

the sanding respraying part it doesnt get any pictures unless it looks goood.

overall not a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by stamar View Post

starting to look very sexy.

Getting to be time to paint the front body kit red.

you can kind of see that even though the drivers side door, drivers side fender, hoood and passenger side fender ( and trunk) are all the same color now... the passenger side door and rear quarter panels are a different color.

That because for some reason a previous owner resprayed just 1 door and the rear quarter panels. leaving the drivers side alone because it was good. the trunk is even oem color. it was replaced too.

Add in two new good oem panels, and now we have an all oem good front minus the passenger side door.

basicallly at best the respray is a different color red eg its orangey.

at worst its flaking right off. and the respray is in parts that are not replaceable.

Basiclaly the only body part that I could replace now iis the passenger side door. But it looks good just a touch off shade
        Last edited by stamar; 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

So as I get ready to put the front bumper on for what should be the last sanding I realize where it connects on the passenger side is bent.

Not much to do but take out the grill and hammer it down. Just when the finish line is visible I see more work.

that camaro is for sale btw.

Comment

WTH? You didn't notice that before?

Comment

i noticed it before but let me show you how the bumper was connected before.

they left the diving board top peice on and screwed it into the peice. I think you can see the wood screws. Too ghetto for me.

So I just threw that away and connected to the body because theres screw holes there

Now I see why they left those things there, not bad taste it covers the hole made by the bent grill.

Comment

Any pics of that core support/bumpershock mount up close?

Comment

oooooooooooo well i can tell you its bent without taking the bumper off again.

the last bumper connection ( its like 8mm body connect) doesnt line up its about to get some twine.

Definitely some tuning. You can see it was a corner collision. Mostly in the bumper although the high beam has a crack.

they replaced the hood the bumper and the fender, all I did was replace those again with stuff in the right color.

The actual body behind the bumper was just ignored.

I would ignore it too but its time to bolt in the bumper for real.

Comment

Working...
                  X