Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

phenryiv1's Rally Cross 87 325- Caged, B25 Swapped, Rear suspension refresh Last Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates...

First, a little press for my website:

Next, we'll get out of the way that I helped Irish44j snag a new project this weekend. Good news was that all ended well, but the bad news was that the CPS on the truck is not working well and it was a hard-start that morning. Then we got there and one of the tires on the dolly was just about flat (they both have severe dryrot)...and we both forgot to bring compressors. We limped to a gas station and aired up. Time to order new tires to the tune if $170.

1977 320i, manual trans slicktop with manual windows. Looks to me nearly all original (we brought the bottlecaps with us)

Nice little car. It looks way worse than it actually is. All the rust is superficial, solid floor pan, perfect trunk floor. He plans to pulled the tired motor and do an M42 swap, but overall this is a great car.

Now the real stuff.

After dealing with all of the rear suspension over the last 2 weekends it was time to do a little work on the front. I had installed the OE Sports and StopTech SS lines in the back and wanted to match them up with the fronts before next weekend's race and figured that while I was in there I'd replace my worn out front upper strut mounts/bearings. I had bought the replacement parts months ago and just now got around to having an excuse to install them.

One of the biggest headaches during the build of my '88 was the removal of the ball joints from the hub/strut assembly. It took several days and resulted in the destruction of the outer ball joint son the control arms and the replacement of both those and the tie rods. Major $$$ that I did not want to spend.

On this car, the joints are passable on the control arms and were quite solid on the tie rods (though I have replacements for both- just not the time to install right now). For that reason, I wanted to save them, if possible.

I had seen that HF sells a ball joint remover tool that looks promising, so on my last trip there I grabbed one. The concept is simple- attach it to the ball joint and increase tension against the top of the ball joint to press it out of the knuckle, tapping the knuckle as you increase pressure. The tool looks like this:

After 15-20 minutes (combined) on both sides, the results were this:

Worked great, with no damage to the ball joints. This was about a $10 tool that saved a ton of time, money, and headaches. My only complaint is that the threaded portion of the tool has fine threads that are not too solid- they began to strip after 4 applications of load. I plan to buy another one and maybe replacement bolts to use in the forged housing. For the cost, I'll keep a spare on-hand.

Next up was rotor removal. Of course, while the allen head rotor screws on the rear came right out, the fronts were stripped. I dried to drill them all of the way out but it was not happening.

Made one solid shot on each rotor and the material broke off to remove the rotor:

Vicegrips did the rest, so when I replace the rotors I can replace the screws and have them fully functional, if I decide to use the set screws again.

New SS lines:

Painted the dust shields (why not?):

Rusted OEM springs and busted ("perished" as Edd would say) upper mounts:

H&R OE Sports and new upper mounts:

A few shots on the car:

I still need to bleed the brakes but I don't have a Motive and I was without a helper yesterday.

Last thing for yesterday was getting the HVAC control panel back in the car. I broke mine pulling the dash for the cage so I had to snag one off of here.

That is it for now.
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Not much news. Prepping for the race this weekend so I need to adjust the e/parking brakes and bleed the real brakes.

Also snagged these to replace the dryrotted tires on the dolly:

Patrick Henry

Comment

Ready for the race tomorrow:

The H&R OE Sports sit fairly on this car, even stripped and caged. I can't imagine how low they are on a full-weight car. I don't remember my H&R Sports on my '88 being this low.

Also, got the new wheels installed on the dolly:

Patrick Henry

Comment

So the race was a blast. Still not sure how I finished (results not posted) but the event was awesome and the e30/e28 crowd represented well.

Only bad thing about this weekend was in bleeding the brakes for Sunday, this happened:

Fortunately I happened to have a spare pass front caliper so that went on and I finished the bleed sequence.

Some shots from the event:

Patrick Henry

Comment

Some action shots:

Patrick Henry

Comment

Not much to report. Since I tow the e30 everywhere that it goes (really just Summit Point) and my tow vehicle is a small truck (1988 Jeep Comanche), I decided to upgrade the Comanche a bit and add a trans cooler. The truck only has 96K, but the extra safety margin is worth the cost.

Grille and headlight door (pass side only) removed for access:

Removal of existing line from the upper radiator point:

At that point there was a 4-week delay as there was a quality control issue with the Hayden fitting kit that was supposed to attach the trans cooler to my Jeep lines. Long story short, the fittings in the packages that I bought (and bought, and bought) never matched up. I finally got a pair (from 2 different packs) that were the correct- male from one, female from another. I was not amused.

Anyway...

Cooler fitted:

Lines attached (with the proper 5/8" 45* fittings):

Grille back on:

Buttoned up:

Patrick Henry

Comment

Nice. Have you gotten those pics yet? ;)

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
                  Nice. Have you gotten those pics yet? ;)
                  No, still weeding through mine. He took a ton of my car- I think about 75-80, just of me (not counting ones of Jason).
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

Just recently bought and used that HF ball joint separator last weekend. Works great!
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                      Just recently bought and used that HF ball joint separator last weekend. Works great!
                      Nice. Glad it helped!
                      Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                        I just picked up the OTC version while ordering some other stuff on Amazon :)
                        Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop
                        visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Nothing big...

Car has settled nicely on the H&R OE Sport springs:

Also added my BMWCCA badge. Wow, big news...

Patrick Henry

Comment

So no updates in a while because...well, I have not done anything noteworthy. I have bought a ton of parts, but nothing is installed.

Waiting for install, I have:

E36 steering rack
                            New tie rods
                            AKG DSSR
                            Z3 1.9 shifter

I also bought (but have not picked up) a set of rally tires from a fellow rallyX guy who blew up his MR2 and is not going to Stock RWD, where rally tires are not allowed. Now I just need some bottlecaps to use with them.

I also bought a set of basketweaves to use for HyperDrive or HPDE events. I know, I know...14" track wheels. But with some 185/60/14 Dunlop ZIIs I think that they will be fine for me to get on the track for cheap.

I don't have any other updates, but I realized it had been a month or so since I had posted so I had to say something.
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

And more toys. Went to pick up a spare M20B25 that had lost oil pressure. Bought it to have spare sensors and other accessories, but I might try to rebuild the head if the cam journals look good enough when I take it apart. No pics, but it is related to me snagging his awesome set of pink bottlecaps.

Nothing marks you as hardcore like pink 14" wheels.

He had them around and I needed 6 more bottlecaps for my rallyX tires. I still have snow tires on the yellow bottlecaps but these will be used for 4 of the 6 rallyX tires that I snagged. I had already bought (but not picked up) a set of 4 from a fellow rallycross guy who is moving to stock RWD (no competition tires allowed) and then I was pointed to this pair on the GrassrootsMotorsports forum. Thye are the same size as 2 of the ones I already bought and they give me another option wiht the different tread pattern.

Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                                And more toys. Went to pick up a spare M20B25 that had lost oil pressure. Bought it to have spare sensors and other accessories, but I might try to rebuild the head if the cam journals look good enough when I take it apart. No pics, but it is related to me snagging his awesome set of pink bottlecaps.

Nothing marks you as hardcore like pink 14" wheels.

He had them around and I needed 6 more bottlecaps for my rallyX tires. I still have snow tires on the yellow bottlecaps but these will be used for 4 of the 6 rallyX tires that I snagged. I had already bought (but not picked up) a set of 4 from a fellow rallycross guy who is moving to stock RWD (no competition tires allowed) and then I was pointed to this pair on the GrassrootsMotorsports forum. Thye are the same size as 2 of the ones I already bought and they give me another option wiht the different tread pattern.

When do we get to go play in the field behind your house? :)

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                                2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X