E30 build to feed my tinkering fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 build to feed my tinkering fix.

So new to the whole e30 bmw thing. I generally work with subarus and diesels building turbo setups and everything in between. So this is a semi new thing for me. So I finally bit the bullet and started giving my e30 some attention even though my subaru sti needs it way more. After over a week of adding 3 gallons of bondo to the severly dented roof and sanding it I finally got it ready to be used as a mold/template for the carbon replacement. I will be caging the e30 and will cut off the roof once its ready to be welded and then install the carbon roof once the cage is all done.
    pics-

what's this now?
    WTB: Diamond Schwartz Hood

Comment

Carbon roof? You have my attention.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

i have a feeling that this thread will provide excellent entertainment.

:up:

Comment

Tim.

Comment

It may get interesting if I keep the chassis after I'm done building it. May just do cage and wide body setup and then offload it. But I would really like to build a nice turbo setup

Comment

Entertaining the thought of adding one more layer of composite but this time using a hybrid carbon fabric that mixed with neon green. It's expensive but could be a really cool look especially if I Powdercoat wheels shocker yellow which is a neon green color.

Comment

are you going to cut out the roof and replace it with the carbon fiber or just going to lay it on top?
                  Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_
                  HONDA IS WHERE EVERY TREND DIES! .

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Comment

Answer is in the thread

Comment

where do you buy your CF from?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCam View Post
                        are you going to cut out the roof and replace it with the carbon fiber or just going to lay it on top?
                        "After over a week of adding 3 gallons of bondo to the severly dented roof and sanding it I finally got it ready to be used as a mold/template for the carbon replacement."

Originally posted by tigwerks View Post
                        Answer is in the thread
                        1+ remember you're dealing with people that don't read.

Are you going to reinforce the corners to retain a ridged top? Or will the cage take that strain with being welded into the pillars?
                        I have already thought of doing this with mine, it is a down the road step after I get the cage welded in. For now I am just welding in my sunroof.
                        I also would like to know where to buy sheets of carbon fiber, link this thread with your supplier if you can!

Excited to see how this turns out, carry on good sir. And you need to post pictures of your STi please.
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

My sti is a never ending project as I'm too busy fulfilling others need for boost and speed. Plus I sold all the stuff I just built for it to completely redo it. I'd you wanna see pics I have tons on the Facebook among other stuff. Facebook.com/tigwerks.

The cage will tie into the chassis so the roof isn't doing that job. As far as carbon supplies I've ordered from different places in the last couple weeks and don't really have a definitive source as this is my first time using composites and I choose a roof to start the learning process.

Comment

sub'd
                            Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

Approval pending until further progression.
                              E30 buildy things
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Working...
                              X