Condor Speed Shop's Caged Spec E30 Racecar Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condor Speed Shop's Caged Spec E30 Racecar Build

I have this build on another forum , but i thought some of you may enjoy it.
    It doesnt go into a lot of depth, but shows the progress of the build

•••••March 2012•••••

It has begun...
    I've decided to take my 91 318IS and build it to run in the South Florida Region SE30.

I picked up this complete m20 drivetrain about a month ago, I plan on refreshing all the gaskets and seals and dropping it in.

So far i've acquired a spare subframe and installed camber and caster adjustment plates.

Installed these, of course :)

Most importantly it will run my Condor plate :)

•••••

I pulled the subframe out if the 318 over the weekend. It's a pita if you don't remove the driveshaft from the rest of the car...

I took it all apart, installed my new subframe with the traded 3.73 LSD, H&R Race springs, and buttoned it all together.

•••••April 2012 PLANS CHANGE!•••••

It's looking like I may be trading my 91 318IS for 2 90 325i's, one being a stock 4 door automatic, and the other a wrecked coupe with a salvage title, and lots of SE30 legal parts.
    I'm planning on taking the Salvage car and building from there...

•••••May 2012•••••

The salvage car is here!!!
    let the wrenching begin!

•••••

Started turning wrenches on the car last night. I pulled a few parts off.

So far it looks like i will be replacing the entire core support.

•••••

Take a look at the passenger side radiator support... its pretty bent up. I ended up removing it all last night:

I reinstalled the strut bar to help keep things straight.

I need to finish drilling out the spot welds, and then i'll start prepping the new piece.

•••••

So I spent a few more nights, and this past weekend fixing the front end of the new car. After cutting out the bent core support, and prepping the new core, i was able to give it it's first test fitment.

While it was easy to access, I Iinstalled a set of Condor Speed Shop Motor & Transmission Mounts and a Power-steering Delete block.

Before welding I made sure all of my panels lined up.

A few hours later it was all in.

...and after some adjustment, all the panels lined up perfectly.

••••••

Well, I finished the frontend repairs last week:

They turned out much better than expected, considering i used a bunch of junkyard parts. I pieced the headlights together from 3 different broken sets!

I then focused my attention on starting the repairs to the rear of the car:

Both bumper supports had been pushed in, and crushed a bit of the mounting points on the unibody as well. I used a chain to pull most of it out as well as the usual assortment of "standard" bodywork tools:

... I also had to usesome not so standard tools like a modified Harbor Freight pipe bender to push the rear sheetmetal back into place...

Turned out pretty good:

•••••JULY 2012•••••

I spent the last few nights tearing down & putting new gaskets and seals on that old tired m20 i had sitting in the garage... i plan on swapping it in this weekend.

•••••

Few updates:

installed an IJ crank scraper

•••••

Picked a Saturday, and attempted to swap motors in a day.

Around lunch time we pulled the old lump out with the help of a few friends.

This one had a cam in it. The replacement M20 is completely stock.

Found out that my trans casing was toast... and that i had been driving it like this since i bought the car.

Threw in an untested thansmission and the refreshed m20. I then realized that it was a G240 when the mounts didn't line up... I grabbed the wrong transmission off the shelf, so we pulled the trans off again and reinstalled the correct one.

Towards the end of the night I was able to weld in the spec exhaust.

Finished it in time to go home and watch the MMA fights!

•••••AUGUST 2012•••••

2 Weekends later, i was able to convince my father to come help me strip the interior

We ended up removing all the tar off the floor boards and trans tunnel. It still remains on the rear seat.

•••••

Lastnight, I decided to pull the sunroof tray after work... I drilled out all the spotwelds and cut the underside of the tray out on 4 corners of the casette.

It tool longer than i planned, but i got it out without damaging the sheetmetal.

I then welded in some small tabs to keep the sunroof panel in place, and used some silicone caulk to seal it up. looks OEM :)
    Last edited by silence; 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM.

looking good Carlos!

Comment

Hech yeah Carlos, keep up the good work!

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

This is badass

Comment

good work

Comment

Thanks guys, we'll be welding in the cage this weekend!

Comment

Sub'd!
              sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

lookin' good! Wish I could get down there to see it run. If you still have that sunroof knob though, hook a brother up!
                Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop
                visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                  lookin' good! Wish I could get down there to see it run. If you still have that sunroof knob though, hook a brother up!
                  you and the rest of the world want it! ;)

-----------------

So We started on the cage last friday by pulling out the front glass

The next step was to pull the doors, 1/4 windows & remaining interior.

Here's our Kit from Roll Cage Components based out of Va. Some assembly required.

I'm pretty happy with how the joints are coming out:

Got it all tacked together & marked the spots on the unibody that needed to be drilled...

...before taking it all apart again to drill the chassis, then tacking it together again, welding the underside & dropping it through the chassis to weld the tops

Last night I drilled some holes in the rear bulkhead for the rear downtubes. It was a lot of work getting them to line up perfectly, but i'm really happy with the results.

This hasn't been tacked in yet, but it shows the proposed placement of the plate & tube.

things are moving smoothly :)

Comment

Aww yeaaa, can't wait to see it again!!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

So badass!

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

This is quite the thread! Good work so far!

Comment

Sub'd

Any pics of the car on the right? :)

Originally posted by silence View Post
                          So far it looks like i will be replacing the entire core support.

Comment

Originally posted by eur04lif3 View Post
                            Sub'd

Any pics of the car on the right? :)
                            The car started as a Grassroots Motorsports Challenge car. It was a participant in 4 GRM Challenges and finished 3rd overall, and 2nd in autoX for the last 2 years it attended. The car was then invited to participate in the Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR in 2011, where it received a full engine & driveline makeover/upgrade. It was 4th fastest in group B. Due to the nature of the build, the car has received quite a bit of recognition. This includes a cover shot for GRM magazine as well as several other articles throughout the cars history. The most recent write up was an 8 page spread in Performance BMW Magazine, based out of the UK. The car was tuned by DIY Autotune, 356 RWHP at 15psi. Its reliable and FAST.

VIDEOS
                            2011 Ultimate Track Car Challenge, Session 1, ....passing the entire field.

First time out at Palm Beach International Raceway, but that didn't keep me from mixing it up with this 600hp Corvette.

LINKS
                            https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7395932&type=3
                            BUILD BLOG
                            http://www.dirte30.blogspot.com/

Comment

8-24-12

This evening we spent some quality time with the Harbor Freight pipe notcher. The plan? Finish X- bars...

In between notching & tack welding, there was a LOT if this going on...

Once the dust settled, correction, metal shavings settled.. We had a clean set of X-bars tacked in place.

9-11-12

We made a little more progress today on the cage after a 2 week hiatus. I cut the tack welds out of the X bar, and then made the new lower down bars that you see pictured. It's slow going, but it's going to be perfect!

9-12-12

After adding the lower downbars, I realixed my Xbar didn't fit the same way anymore, so i had to redo therear diagonal bar. Once that was done, I finished the main hoop diagonal, and the first half of the harness bar. The next step was to mount the seat.

9-14-12

The seat was supposed to be a bolt in affair... Since It did come right out of the turbo car... But after a few tries we realized the height was too high. Now we need to make new seat mounts and ditch the stock e30 sliders.

I ended up modifying the Kirkey seat brackets... Here's a pic of John(forced firebird) welding them.

The final seat positioning is LOW! Pretty much on the floor board... There's lots of room for a helmet & rollbar padding.

9-15-12

Started on the rollcage again yesterday, by welding in the 6 base plates.

9-16-12

Today I started by mocking up the passengers side X bar.

Fully welded

Time to start mocking up the NASCAR bars on the drivers side. I've decided to stack 3 vertical bars instead of the 2 pictured.

Base plate welded and ready for the foot-saver bars..

Finished welding the X-bar, NASCAR bars and the foot-saver bars... All that's left is to finish weld the rear downtubes and to finish fabricating the X brace!

9-17-12

Finished up the rear diagonal & downtubes tonight.

All that's left is the harness bar and second half of the X on the rear downtubes!

9-18-12

All twisted up, finish welding the rear downtubes.

More good times, welding the rear downtubes

Rear down tube X-bar is in, and harness bar is in place! Almost done!

9-25-12

Finally finished the cage on the new Spec E30!

Fabricated a seat back brace last night... pretty happy with the results.

Tag, one of the locals came by to help seal up the rear sheetmetal.

Jay(johnny cash) finished up the new bracket for the emergency cut off switch... John(forcedfirebird) used his big Tig welder today to weld it on for us.

9-27-12

Heat gun > window tint

Comment

Working...
                              X