No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got inspired recently when my buddies 2.7i car was finished. Its still a POS, but another E30 is out on the road so I drove mine a little more and had some time to work on it and get a few things done.

It's so minor, but with this car the little things make a big difference to me. Anyone remember the fun of wiring up the check engine light? Well, I never was able to get the correct lamp to fit in the OEM location so I had to make due with a radio shack bulb to please the referee. Well, the guy I found the excellent hood from also hooked me up with a correct bulb, as well as a mint lower dash panel.

Snapped a few pics with my POS phone.

old setup notice how half is broken off too?... :down:

NEW! :pimp:

I have a few other things in mind though, can't wait to make these next subtle changes.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No picture to show, but today officially marks the end of one era and the beginning of the next.

This car is no longer a daily driver and is strictly a fun car for me.

Normally this doesnt mean I need to change anything, but this cars destiny to terrorize rich boys in their 100k cars means drastic measures need to be taken. So, step 1 is to get some proper race seats and harnesses. Unofficially sold the Recaros and I should be buying something else soon, as well as some other upgrades. I will wait to share those once its complete. If you're watching, stay tuned.
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

It sucks you can't drive it on the streets and take it to the canyons and stuff but hey you got a badass track ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
          It sucks you can't drive it on the streets and take it to the canyons and stuff but hey you got a badass track ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I don't think that's what he meant haha

Regardless, simon come to the sept 18 autox at camarillo!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
            It will be street legal, Im just going to slowly start eliminating the "creature comforts" this car has. Interior will slowly get gutted, but it will still have plates. That battle isnt over yet

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            I don't think that's what he meant haha

Regardless, simon come to the sept 18 autox at camarillo!
            I didnt see it on motorsport.reg send me a link

ps both of you go to your tapatalk settings and kill t he signature. it annoys me so much :hitler:
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I didnt see it on motorsport.reg send me a link

ps both of you go to your tapatalk settings and kill t he signature. it annoys me so much :hitler:
              here you go! sept 18 autox camarillo

baby :finger:
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

Just finished reading. Gotta love a white E30. Good luck on your smog!
                REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                  Just finished reading. Gotta love a white E30. Good luck on your smog!
                  Thanks! I dont really know where to tackle next except the ignition. Im probably going to replace all of the coils with brand new hardware since they are old. Not hoping for a miracle, but hopefully it will be enough. I need to take a look at the plugs and see if that gives me any hints as to what else might be going on. I might try a different set of plugs too. No idea really at this point.

The interior is getting a slight change so these are the next two things Im dealing with at the moment. Im really going to miss my Recaro SE seats, they were so wonderful, but I plan to take the car to more track events and want (need) to get something that can accept a 5 point belt so I have access to more events.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

So I sold the Recaro's a few weeks ago and wasn't 100% sure what I was going to replace it with until I went to Sube Sports in Huntington Beach last Friday. Ended up buying a Cobra Monaco Pro and using my Momo Seat Mount that Ive had for a few years from when I was building a VW Rabbit into a racecar back in Seattle.

It was nice to use it finally, though I couldnt install it on the car until I bought a floor mount from Garagistic. Even though they are very close to Sube Sports, they were already closed on Friday. I couldnt wait and made a mid-day run to see them. Love these guys and their products. Seriously, support the guys who build cool shit for our cars otherwise there wont be much of an aftermarket if we dont!

garagistic_mounts by 2mAn

Still dont have a good camera, probably will never have one. I am probably going to take good pics one of these days. But for now, enjoy these crappy pics...

cobra_seat_installed by 2mAn

It wasnt super hard to install, but a lot of trial and error. Finally got it in though it might be a smidge too close. I will drive it like this for a few weeks and see how I feel, might adjust it or not, we'll see...

It will be like this for about a month until I get the roll bar and harness installed. Hopefully another set of Dunlops, and also the ignition coils. Still need to get this thing legal, though it wont be street driven much.
                    Last edited by 2mAn; 07-22-2017, 10:12 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

1991 325i
                      flickr
                      @sambhaskins

Comment

getting serious in here :devil:
                        sigpic

Comment

once you get the bar sticker, you gonna spice up the engine at all? or just keep things as they are?
                          '91 325i

Comment

I have some goals that are engine related but at this point I'm trying to improve the nut behind the wheel
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

:devil: I always enjoy this thread and your various adventures. Keep it going Simon!
                              '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                                :devil: I always enjoy this thread and your various adventures. Keep it going Simon!
                                Thanks Aaron, I hope we can get our cars out together at the next picnic. Seems like most of the Alpha Team actually have a E30 again. Who knows what Brad will have, but Im sure he will have one :p

Good luck with your build too, seeing that black one in Monterey made me very excited for you. It will be worth it when its done.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X