Operation: Obtain e30>>SUCCESS>>Initiate project #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spyke View Post
    That's a lazy ass solution, and one that won't last long either... I feel building one/retrofitting is the right thing to do, as just dropping in another stock one is just a matter of time before it breaks down too. Let's face it, these things are out of date, getting old and brittle, and could look a bit nicer. The only challenge really will be integrating/wiring the aftermarket gauges with the rest of the cluster while keeping all the other functions like signals, hazards, etc.
    Greg's clusters are fully refurbished by him, including the SI boards. I feel like it's a pretty decent solution and will out last my car. I like your gauges, a lot, but I wanted to retain the stock look.

Comment

Thought it might be worth it to mention that you're doing a great job with this build if I didn't do it before.

Comment

Yeah, he's already done my SI board and my AFM for me, great guy.
        Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
        Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

nice job! btw what kind of steering hub are you running?
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Steering wheel hub adapter is the NRG short hub. I like the short depth when mounting a quick release, but it has no slip ring for the horn which is annoying to get around.

Here's today's progress on the panel shaping, pretty happy so far except I messed up the bottom line... I'll have to fix that on the second go.

IMG_20130801_185904 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

Steering wheel hub adapter is the NRG short hub. I like the short depth when mounting a quick release, but it has no slip ring for the horn which is annoying to get around.
              For a functioning horn, I modified the NRG hub with the contact rings provided. It was pretty easy, JB weld is your friend. Also modified the sprung contact that rides on the ring. You also need to scuff the hub with sand-paper to provide a ground.

If you don't have the contact ring, I have an extra.

I have some pics in my thread

Comment

Thanks Panda, I looked at your pics and that was the same way I had done mine. I used the slip ring from my stock wheel that came out of the car, but then the horn was stuck on and I gave up quickly. I need to look into a fix for that some day here...

Had to get new rear tires for the e36... is there anything an e30 can't do??

IMG_20130801_195422 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

All done shaping the panels. I need to start placing holes for the rivet nuts tomorrow after work, then start making final panels and cutting the graphics. I'm thinking front e36 "oh shit" handles might work perfectly for door pulls too. Pumped for this.

IMG_20130806_201031 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

I like the custom door cards! I've been thinking that I'm going to have to resort to something similar...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Whoa! I've never seen a door frame that clean (post #45)! That took some time and patience. Door cards are going to look very good.
                      sigpic

92 325iC Diamantschwarz factory M-Technic appearance
                      99 M Roadster Dakar Yellow II
                      97 318ti Active Bostongrun DD
                      01 Z3 3.0i Coupe Black Sapphire
                      93 325iC Schwarz II. Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

Thanks guys! Okay, finished one final panel (besides graphics) and the e36 grab handles for these are en-route.

IMG_20130808_185624 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

Teaser pic!

IMG_20130813_134956 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

Didn't read the whole threa but would you consider making these?
                            Or possibly making carbon fiber panels?

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                            function>form

Comment

I would love to make CF versions, but even a small blank piece of 1/16" carbon fiber is $270 before tax and shipping... and that's not even putting work into it.

I could possibly remake some of these for other members if they are interested. Right now I use the same material that I did on my e36 door panels, which is 1/8" hybrid aluminum panel. Light and strong.

***Edit for final fitment!!!!!!!!

IMG_20130813_183910 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Spyke; 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Panda, I looked at your pics and that was the same way I had done mine. I used the slip ring from my stock wheel that came out of the car, but then the horn was stuck on and I gave up quickly. I need to look into a fix for that some day here...
                                If your horn is stuck on all the time, there is a short to ground somewhere. You have to make sure the contact ring is totally isolated from the hub, even though the hub is anodized, there could still be contact.
                                I spray painted the back of the contact ring with like 5 layers of paint, and then used plenty of JB weld.

Or the button is stuck on, I would test that first since the button is kind of flimsy.

Comment

Working...
                                X