No announcement yet.

This is Mika - Now with more S52 *IT'S ALIVE!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patience grasshopper, it'll all be worth it in the end.
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

No updates here - just been spending time cleaning parts and prepping the block for paint. Waiting on a crank bolt tool and all of my engine accessories. I decided I'm sending out my harness to have it trimmed down and all setup for my car since I suck at wiring. Anywho, I thought this was kinda cool.

I have no idea what the BMW LA Wheel BMW Styling means, though lol.

Comment

So, finally there came a weekend where I have time to work on my own car. Didn't get much done but I did learn a little more about my motor.

Pulled the crank bolt off, removed the Intake cam gear/timing chain, then the front timing cover and made an interesting discovery... I'll let the pictures tell the rest...

I think I'm missing something here... Oh yeah, there should be a timing chain guide on the right side mounted to those 2 posts.

But wait, there's more!

Also, it looks like the car was run when the guide was broken, missing.

Not a huge deal, but it's definitely a setback. Here's to another week of waiting for parts since I live in Kansas and not SoCal.

Oh, I painted the block too.

Don't critique my overspray on the timing cover. Those are all getting blasted. I painted before I was able to get the crankbolt off.

Comment

Jamison, (no hostility meant or implied)

How do the teeth look on the timing sprocket on the crankshaft? In the pic it looks like the teeth may be worn. Also, I recently priced the chain for my own S52 build, and they're not pricey. Might be worth buying a new one of those as well.

Not sure, but I may still have an upper timing chain housing if you need one. It's from an M50, though, and I don't know if the OBD1 & OBD2 are the same or not. I'd have to check part #s.

Sorry to see the setback, but the motor overall looks pretty clean. Good luck with the rest of the build.
          Originally posted by LJ851
          kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
          ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
          #teamross
          Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
            Jamison, (no hostility meant or implied)

How do the teeth look on the timing sprocket on the crankshaft? In the pic it looks like the teeth may be worn. Also, I recently priced the chain for my own S52 build, and they're not pricey. Might be worth buying a new one of those as well.

Not sure, but I may still have an upper timing chain housing if you need one. It's from an M50, though, and I don't know if the OBD1 & OBD2 are the same or not. I'd have to check part #s.

Sorry to see the setback, but the motor overall looks pretty clean. Good luck with the rest of the build.
            It's not bad, I think the flash makes it worse than it really is.

The 1 main lower sprocket and chain are about $120 so it's not bad, but I just placed what I thought was my final parts order.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
              It's not bad, I think the flash makes it worse than it really is.

The 1 main lower sprocket and chain are about $120 so it's not bad, but I just placed what I thought was my final parts order.
              I placed about 5 orders that I thought were 'my last order' :-x There's was always one more little thing I forgot...

I am curious as to how the lower timing chain tensioner base got broken. I suppose when the timing chain rail went, it could have gotten jammed down against it. That part of the timing chain tensioner isn't really stressed or anything. Hope the seller is assisting with the cost of the new parts, since that apparently wasn't disclosed. Good thing you decided to have a look around!

#teamross

Comment

Getting the rest of the parts this weekend. I should be good to go next weekend provided I can finish my harness or have it sent out and returned in that amount of time. The bitch is that next weekend I work all day saturday... so it's an all night swap in the dark, power nap, then go nuts sunday.

Comment

So... ventured down to Metric Mechanic this weekend and picked up the majority of what I need to finish this bish.

- Timing chain tensioners and guides (both)
                  - Exhaust manifolds (OBDII)- I bead blasted them there, had the secondary air pump bullshit welded up, then they were cut and bent to fit over the subframe which is sweet
                  - Front section of an E36 M3 exhaust
                  - Alternator
                  - Starter
                  - Power Steering pump
                  - ICV
                  - IAT sensor
                  - Exhaust studs/nuts
                  - Intake studs/nuts
                  - Backup E34 oil pan

and...

Ended up stumbling upon a Treehouse Racing Harness adapter. The harness is the one thing I hadn't decided on yet and I HATE wiring so this was just a deal lol.

Anyway, pics:

Turns out I'm working the next couple of weekends but I do have this friday off. Next saturday after I get off work, I'll be heading home and starting on this.

Remaining parts:
                  - e28 motor mounts
                  - e21 trans mounts
                  - AKG Shifter
                  - Fluids
                  - Exhaust

I've had the money sitting aside but I've been hesitant to drop $500 on a shifter before I had everything else completely taken care of. Now, I don't have any major pieces left so I might as well pull the trigger.

Comment

Jealous. You're going to be up & running with your swap before I will, & I've been dicking around with my swap for a year. Congrats on finding the adapter!

#teamross

Comment

I planned on doing a lot of blasting and cleaning before putting it all together but Jeremy and I got antsy.

It's almost done. Intake Manifold and valve cover will be put through the dishwasher before they go on, but that's about all the attention they'll get. Something else I forgot about was the actual mounting hardware for the alternator and power steering pump. I can't find the right bolts and all to make those work so I'm probably going to hit up the junkyard this weekend and see what I can find. As soon as I have a weekend off work though, it can go in.

One more:

Comment

Well, fuck. Now I can't find my cam and knock sensors. What the shitfuckasspiss?

If anybody has an OBDI sensors, let me know. I'm SO close.

Comment

I read through that to fast the first time and was like, "how do you lose a cam?!"

And no.....I don't have one. Getter done son!
                          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I think I have spares. I'll be down in KC the 19th/20th.

Cam for sure. Knocks idk.

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
                            1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                              I read through that to fast the first time and was like, "how do you lose a cam?!"

And no.....I don't have one. Getter done son!
                              haha working on it.

Originally posted by unloadedak View Post
                              I think I have spares. I'll be down in KC the 19th/20th.

Cam for sure. Knocks idk.
                              Sweet! I'll PM you.

Comment

And now I want to do an s50 swap, thanks Carp...
                                I Say... that is some awesome shit!

'86 325e- (parts car)
                                '89 325i- DD and project aka "Shirley"

Progress thread for Shirley

Comment

Working...
                                X