325ix->540i->325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix->540i->325is

I figured this was as good a time as any to introduce my new car. Over the summer I parted out my ix. I replaced it with a '97 540i/6. That was a fun car, on the interstate once you reached 60mph. At the time I knew I would be getting back into an e30 at some point, I just didn't know when. About 3 weeks ago I was browsing the for sale section and noticed someone was trading an '89 325is and looking for my exact car. After a few calls and pm's I was on my way to San Diego to make the trade and now I am in possesion of an 1989 325is in AWIII.

My e39:

The new car, Mila:

Before anyone asks, yes that is Lambo's car.

Details of the car:
    -GC conversion with shortened housings
    -16x8.5, 16x9 OZ Futuras with 15mm spacers for effective offsets of et9 and et3 respectively
    -Sparco strut bar
    -Mark D 19lb chip and 19lb Mustange injectors
    -Mtech II wheel
    -Factory wooden shift knob
    -Z3 1.9 shifter
    -Ryan G splitter
    -AW III respray
    -10in. Lukebox

Plans? I have a Raceskids plate on the way as I have already had a few close calls. I also plan on getting shorter, stiffer springs all around and I need to roll the fenders. The trim will also be going back to black as well.

This will be my slow project log as well.

Nice dude, looks like a good start. E39's are fun (I have a 01 540i for a daily) but they're not a replacement for an e30. Painting the trim black again will completely transform that car.

What are your spring rates now? You can raise m20's quite a bit, which would help you out until you get a skid plate. Hell, you might even find you don't need one if you raise it enough.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
      Nice dude, looks like a good start. E39's are fun (I have a 01 540i for a daily) but they're not a replacement for an e30. Painting the trim black again will completely transform that car.

What are your spring rates now? You can raise m20's quite a bit, which would help you out until you get a skid plate. Hell, you might even find you don't need one if you raise it enough.
      I'm not entirely sure of my rear rates. The fronts are 440lbs at 6in. tall. All of the adjusters are all the way down. I really want to go a little lower up front. I thought about raising the engine but, I am not really sure how to go about it. Also, I would like to try and keep it as low in the bay to keep from raising the cg, i'm not really sure how much of a difference it makes though.

Comment

How much shortened are the housings? That's still pretty high for all the way down with such a soft spring.

Raising the engine is simple, you either put spacers between the motor mounts and the mount arms/subframe, or you find other mounts that are taller then the m20 ones. It will change the CG slightly, but your CG is lower now then it ever was stock.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Hmm, I may look into that. I assume there is a thread about it somewhere on here.

I am not sure, I need to see if the PO has the papers on when it was done.

Comment

How badly does raising the engine affect the angle between the transmission and drive shaft etc.?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Predictable.
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                Predictable.
                Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  Painting the trim black again will completely transform that car.
                  That was my first thought. Looks like an awesome car. How was the drive?

Comment

Needs less white.

I'm snowblinddddd.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Will be less white in a few weeks.

Comment

I need to turn my monitor brightness down

Comment

how do the injectors feel on the m20? I bet its way different than the ix without awd and the 540 without the torque
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

The idle is a little lumpy and I believe this is due to the big injectors. It does feel different. It feels a little slower than Lambo's car but, I chalk that up to the Lukebox and big wheels.

Comment

ahhhh my eyes
                              E30 buildy things
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Working...
                              X