No announcement yet.

The not-so-fancy making of a vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it just gonna be a stock size K&N filter. And the snorkel will be set up same as a stock behind the headlight.
    I just needed to cut a bit out of the bottom of the airbox so that it doesn't interfere with the alternator. And then used some aluminum to make a new bottom. It doesn't change anything for where the filter is sitting.
    And I've cut a round hole instead of the original rectangle so it doesn't bottle neck.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
      So do you have a filter in that stock airbox anywhere?

Comment

Quick update:

So I'm yet to take the car for a test drive. I've spent the past few days trying to figure out the last touches on the swap.

First I wanted to have the shifter centered and I've used this e30performance write up as a guide:

No hating, but it just seems too slopy to do it this way:

So after cutting the shifter carrier and grinding it down to fit the 3/8" square steel tubing (from home depot) I've realized that all I had to do was flip the half of the carrier and I'd be home free.

And there you have it boys and girls. It's so easy a cave man could do it.

I had to tweak it a little bit so that everything fits perfectly. But now my shifter is centered and no interference. I'm happy.

And so I've spent this evening reinstalling the driveshaft, which was kind of a bitch.

Anyway another update's coming up, once I'll take her for a spin around the block.

Comment

WELL! Tonight it's official. My friend and I took it for a spin, just the way you see it in the pictures, and it was a BLAST! I'm so excited I'll have to hustle to wrap things up so that I can actually drive it on the street.

Everything's looking good so far. Except one thing I've noticed is the steering kind goes bump-bump-bump... Could it be from the air in the system???

Comment

Shifter sits nice and center. Just make sure you locktite that hardware on that shifter.
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

LOVING the block man, so clean :)
              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Is that an Mtech 2 kit as well? Hard to see in the first post
                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Thanks guys. And yes Mtech 2 vert with a manual trans and a hard top. It's all in the making. You'll see... heheh

Comment

Love your shifter solution!
                    -Peter
                    '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                    '91 318is slicktop project
                    '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                    '00 Tundra

Comment

hey man. i used solid mounts on that cross member. never saw angles like that. that's kinda weird. I never had an issue, sold it because ZF.

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
                      1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Comment

Originally posted by unloadedak View Post
                        hey man. i used solid mounts on that cross member. never saw angles like that. that's kinda weird. I never had an issue, sold it because ZF.
                        Yea I'll just get another cross-member from one of the people on this forum.

Comment

I know how low of an expectation most of you have, so I didn't want to disappoint you.
                          However, the not-so-fancy vert may have gotten a little fancier.

Not too bad for a rattle can job. Please note that I've only added the e36 lip to try and fix that warped m-tech valance. It's aftermarket so the fitment is shitty, but I knew nothing about it back when I'd bought it. Just trying to make it work and it has proved to be a challenge.

On the other hand I did get a Nardi steering wheel from the German ebay

However, I have been waiting for the Scorpion exhaust from the BavAuto sinceMay 20th, so it's been almost three months. If I would've know I'd get it through eBay.
                          Don't expect any updates any time soon.
                          Not before the exhaust is done.

Comment

The reason I love this thread is because you're doing it right. Everything is practically OEM, and brand new. And the parts that aren't new, are so clean that they look new. Really good build. I love the originality with the gold on the engine block.

Comment

Originally posted by BustingMyWallet View Post
                              The reason I love this thread is because you're doing it right. Everything is practically OEM, and brand new. And the parts that aren't new, are so clean that they look new. Really good build. I love the originality with the gold on the engine block.
                              Yeah "not-so-fancy" my ass!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

<---Jealous

Must get garage.... must get garage.... i need a damn garage...

nice build..

any updates? been a while

Comment

Working...
                                X