318 reborn into e30 335

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded my shifter.

Machined a DSSR out of 2" solid 416 stainless and drilled out the stupid plastic in the selector joint and pressed in bearing grade bronze. I used bronze because i put in a brand new selector joint when i did the swap. After about a month i pulled the trans to replace the seals and the plastic was already worn and sloppy, making a terribly loose shifter.

I matched each parts dimensions, so no plastic washers are needed. My UUC EVO3 shifter fits snug in the DSSR with zero play, the pins are a super snug fit.

I cant wait to bang some gears with this. It should last forever too.
    1991 335is in progress

Comment

1991 335is in progress

Comment

Mmm bronze. This selector joint is for sale if anyone wants one
        1991 335is in progress

Comment

you should sell those dssrs dude
          88 325is Five Speed
          Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
            you should sell those dssrs dude
            Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment, but I dont think I could match the price of current offers. there were a few hours of machine time. If i would teach myself how to setup a CNC lathe, these could be knocked out much faster.

This was 100% manual machined, But I could make them for people who have custom selector lengths for various swaps.

If all the shifter parts were sent, I could make them all fit together perfect so no plastic washers are needed.
            1991 335is in progress

Comment

Yeah no one really makes custom length dssrs for m30 swaps so maybe you could fill that place unit the market
              88 325is Five Speed
              Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                Yeah no one really makes custom length dssrs for m30 swaps so maybe you could fill that place unit the market
                Know anyone who needs ones?

I might go buy some more stainless and turn out a few of them to gauge interest.
                1991 335is in progress

Comment

I need two. I need one for my m30 for sure.
                  Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

bam
                    88 325is Five Speed
                    Lachssilber

Comment

There may be some interest in these yet.

Do you know what lengths you need Raul? Are you going to use the g265 transmission?
                      1991 335is in progress

Comment

I'd be intetested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I was able to make the DSSR from material i already had.

But would you guys prefer a solid stainless one custom made just for you with a price at or higher than UUC offerings?

Or one that would be made from solid bar for the ends, and heavy wall tubing for the middle part. End result would look similar, but would be tig welded together. I believe this method would be cheaper.

Just to give you an idea, a 6 foot stick of the material i used would be over 300 dollars. So that is over 50 dollars per DSSR in just material. Then it takes a few hours to machine it down manually for each persons particular needs.
                          1991 335is in progress

Comment

Looks good. M30 E30 is boss. You mentioned you got a m30b35. the engine you have looks like a combo of that and the b34. You said you are using the 265 and mostly everything on the engine looks b34 (oil filter housing, coolant sensors, dipstick etc) makes me thing thats an e28 drivetrain someone put a b35 valve cover and intake manifold on. solid tranny mount. that sucker will never break.

The Build:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                              Looks good. M30 E30 is boss. You mentioned you got a m30b35. the engine you have looks like a combo of that and the b34. You said you are using the 265 and mostly everything on the engine looks b34 (oil filter housing, coolant sensors, dipstick etc) makes me thing thats an e28 drivetrain someone put a b35 valve cover and intake manifold on. solid tranny mount. that sucker will never break.
                              Haha thanks man.

The engine is definitely bastardized.

Its a late e24 b35..3.5 is cast on the block. I think most of the accessories are e24, but the head is from an e34 lol. I think its an e24 valve cover.
                              1991 335is in progress

Comment

Originally posted by chance View Post
                                Haha thanks man.

The engine is definitely bastardized.

Its a late e24 b35..3.5 is cast on the block. I think most of the accessories are e24, but the head is from an e34 lol. I think its an e24 valve cover.
                                Love your build and your fabrication skills :) I will be following your thread to a T since I am going to be installing an M30 in my vert as next project.
                                Denny

Blogs:
                                http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                                http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                                http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Working...
                                X