No announcement yet.

6/83 grey market 323i.. mtech I S50 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally, it is bump time. this post is full of carnage.

went from assembled to this

later took the windows out, there is rust in places. I will be pulling the interior and wire wheeling down the window seams soon. Also, car's got a butthole:

will be cutting a patch panel..

some photos of rust in the windows. it's frankly better than I expected.

undercarriage is excellent. floor pans are dry.

plan is fully stripped, rust areas addressed and into body shop in 2 weeks. I'm exploring the idea of trucking it up to Oregon to get better paint, because you can only get waterborne paint in CA.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Body work is arranged. Transmission work is arranged.

Starting to list out the things I'll need for the motor. Plan is to go with a late-model e30 Motronic 1.3 harness mated to the square C101 (it's embedded in the firewall and difficult to retrofit a round c101), running some sort of PNP Megasquirt box. I'm anticipating issues with the BOV situation - might end up fabricating a BOV pipe to mate with the log manifold instead of using the weird stock unit.

I'm also having some issues sorting out what I'll be able to fit in the nose of the car. Specifically, do oil coolers fit behind Mtech I valences? Do intercoolers fit behind euro bumpers? Has anyone managed to fit a SMIC behind the passenger headlights? The throttle body flip is not an attractive solution for me due to the amount of charge pipe involved, since I'm looking to end up with a responsive low-boost setup.

Also, does anyone know what the effective offset change is from using e30 m3 rear hubs? Is it possible to find the brake caliper brackets? I have heard some rumblings about how the rear m3 hub swap is impractical due to the caliper brackets not being available.
      cars beep boop

Comment

cool excited to see this come together :D

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        Also, does anyone know what the effective offset change is from using e30 m3 rear hubs? Is it possible to find the brake caliper brackets? I have heard some rumblings about how the rear m3 hub swap is impractical due to the caliper brackets not being available.
        The difference is minimal, only about 2 mm. The flange is a bit thicker and I think the rotor hat is 1mm thicker thus the ~2mm

You can get the brake caliper brackets new from BMW, they cost me about $150 per side. They come with guide pins and new bushings for the caliper and bushing caps. Pm me and I can direct you toward the cheapest source for them.

Also run the e32 735i rear calipers. 735i pads will work too. I found them used on ebay for 15 bucks each

I just completed the swap on my rears and the offset difference is negligible.
        Last edited by pandaboo911; 12-24-2013, 03:47 AM.

Comment

About your Q on e30 m3 off set. Here is a link to a person that might know.

Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

sweet, thanks guys, that's exactly what I want to hear. Pretty tempted to try out the magic front stub sleeves for converting the front to e46 hubs, as well. This will let me run more reasonable rubber at more reasonable camber for the power level.. the Weds stay.
            cars beep boop

Comment

sweet, thanks guys, that's exactly what I want to hear. Pretty tempted to try out the magic front stub sleeves for converting the front to e46 hubs, as well. This will let me run more reasonable rubber at more reasonable camber for the power level.. the Weds stay.
              You mean the ones made by the guy on this forum?

Comment

I think he's distributing them for a company in Eastern Europe. Let me find it..
                cars beep boop

Comment

I think Dmitriy is talking about this?

If it works out for him. I might switch out the front e36 m3 spinals on my clone Alpina B6 project.
                  Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

yeah that's the one, thanks!
                    cars beep boop

Comment

I ordered a set last night. Now I need to find some E36 calipers. It's probably most sensible to get rebuilts from somewhere...

also I made a thread about the potential weird smog situation with swapping a motor from one grey-market car into another grey-market car.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

There are plenty of people doing a water/air heat exchanger behind the passenger headlight.
                        I have my oil cooler directly behind the kidneys with no modification.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I ordered a set last night. Now I need to find some E36 calipers. It's probably most sensible to get rebuilts from somewhere...

also I made a thread about the potential weird smog situation with swapping a motor from one grey-market car into another grey-market car.

E36m calipers amazon prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            E36m calipers amazon prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            these adapters are for non-M apparently.

ak - more info? linky? I saw the TCD one but 1500 for an intercooler is a bit steep.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

today, took out the back interior, rear quarter windows, various trim and found no new rust, which is good

attacked this rust area:

it's pretty gnarly, will have to cut down the seam and weld in a strip. stupid trunk seal!

I also marked out the area I need to cut out of the trunk latch, hitting the yard this weekend to hunt for a replacement.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                                You can get the brake caliper brackets new from BMW, they cost me about $150 per side. They come with guide pins and new bushings for the caliper and bushing caps. \

Also run the e32 735i rear calipers. 735i pads will work too. I found them used on ebay for 15 bucks each
                                So, I'd like to know more here, I did some reading and things are not lining up.. would love clarification.

- the e30 M and non-M rear wheel bearings are the same exact part #. I'm guessing everyone says you need to swap bearings because it comes apart when you pull it?

- fun fact! my e30 is special and awesome and uses 39x72x37mm rear bearings instead of 42x75x37mm. Is 37 the ID of the bearing here, or the height?

- I'm not sure which caliper carrier you're supposed to use with e30M3 hubs. This guy says you can use e32 carriers, but I haven't seen anyone else corroborate this. The question goes unresolved here. I'm going to be at the yard this weekend pulling parts, and am thinking that I'll pull a complete set of e32 calipers and carriers to size them up on my trailing arms.

- the e32 rear disc is 300x12, the e30m3 one 282x12. (the stock e30 one is 258x10) Is the hat height different enough that you can't use e32 rotors?

- with e32 rear calipers and e36 non-M front calipers (are they all the same size? looks like BMW used the same calipers on all e36, e46, z3 and z4 non-M..) and a factory non-ABS system, what will happen to my brake bias?
                                Last edited by kronus; 12-27-2013, 06:30 PM.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X