No announcement yet.

6/83 grey market 323i.. mtech I S50 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You at the shop tonight? I *kinda* rolled the fronts, the b-ball bat approach has proven to be a little difficult on the rear fenders. Anyhow, shoot me a text if you are! :D

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Didn't get to take apart the camber plate, but got the adapter off after some bluenwrench and extractor action. Car is on 4 worn star specs borrowed from the lemon.. Going to thunderhill on saturday to finish them off.

In a month or so, honky is going to get a bit disassembed, de-enginized, and painted. Then, the winter build begins.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Locktite on the adapters? I used anti seize on mine when I had the 318is and they were still a pita to take off.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

It was perhaps overkill, I admit.

I got the last one off last night with some heat and an awesome extractor I remembered I had. Swapping camber plates to ebay specials tonight.. they were cheap and actually look pretty decent, aside from having bolts instead of studs to hold them to the towers. Nothing a bit of welding can't fix, though.
          cars beep boop

Comment

This Saturday I went to Thunderhill with some friends. Here are some pictures of this, sadly I did not think to pull the camera out, because I was busy dealing with the sad, overheating, slow m20. The current theory is clogged injectors are leading it to be overly lean, which heats it up, but whatever the cause, the overall effect was being able to stay out there for 3 or 4 laps at a time, then waiting for it to cool down.

Annoyed at this, I spent today tearing apart something I'd stashed up a while ago - an M106 out of a grey market '85 745i.

This was back in april:

then it sat behind the shop for a while, under a cover. Today I pulled it in, and got it fully disconnected from everything. Tomorrow night it's coming out and onto a stand. Here's a peek at the turbo, KKK K27. No shaft play, seems to be in nice condition but probably needs seals to be replaced.

I think I'll use the Getrag 265 CR from the six, but it definitely needs some shop time first. While that happens I'm going to open up the engine and clean/inspect all the various wear items.

A neat thing about the M106 is that the block has an integrated oil drain on the passenger side, right next to the turbo. No oil pan taps here! The oil feed to the turbo also comes from a filtered tap in the oil cooler distribution block. This is, indeed, luxury.

Interestingly, the transmission is a 4HP22, but it's got a big fat electrical connector going to it and another ECU. The Motronic ECU is gigantic and wedge-shaped, with two connectors. It's seriously the size of a good textbook. .. I think I'm going to use Megasquirt instead.
            cars beep boop

Comment

Cool to see progress on the m106 swap!
              Are you planning on doing the body/paint on the car before you swap it in?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Great the swap begins!
                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                  Great the swap begins!

:mrgreen:

sina, I think it'll get done before.. need to arrange a date with a body place, strip it, and pull the old motor.

also, learned a lesson, don't buy body parts in the dark. Bought a trunklid and fenders saturday night, looked at them yesterday, turns out the previous idiot had angle-ground all the way around the inner bracing of the trunk, but didn't remove it.. basically it's trash.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

fished the heavy fucker out of the bay last night:

seeing a body guy tomorrow, hopefully I can get the M30 ready to drop in while the car's getting an alpine respray.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Skip megasquirt...AEM from what I hear is very simple to use. I hear many a story of megasquirt issues. I have the aftermath of a previous engine that was megasquirted.

Detonation central.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

but I can get MS2E boxes that plug into a Motronic 1.3 harness, and knocking is all in the tune. also, this engine has knock sensors, I think there's a way to have the ECU read those.

anyway it's less bad than MAF/WAR chip, I haven't heard one positive review of a turbo setup with one of those.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

The main issue with MS is the users it tends to attract. Most half azz everything and are clueless. MS can get the job done if properly set up and properly tuned. I still recommend looking at a VEMS system as I think its better, but MS can be PNP which is a bonus.

Dont count on the MS knock feature being of much use. It takes time to get it set up and working well enough to be useful. This is true of any knock system. They are not plug in and go!
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

in which shit gets real

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              in which shit gets real

Ooooohh ! !
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

damn you got that stuff fast!
                                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X