Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Vert

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    This Vert

    I recently finished up a NVM50 swap in my 92 318iC. Thought I'd share the shiz with you guys.

    This is how I bought the car a little over a year ago. I basically bought the car as a non runner.





    Found out it had a broken crankshaft.





    Within a couple of days and the help from UnloadedAK, had another M42 to drop in.

    http://youtu.be/uh7dm0fJ5g8





    Dropped down to a buddies place in Tennessee and picked up a hardtop. Also in this pic; All new suspension, H&R race springs, adjustable rear subframe with Ireland bushings, Bilstein sport shocks, Ireland front/rear sways, Privat Remembers with Extreme Contacts.






    IS front lip.




    M-tech wheel and crack free dash from junk yard.





    Having fun with winter bottle caps.





    Then I got some weaves to take thier place.




    So a whole year DDing the m42 and 2.93lsd, I was getting 32mpg but something was missing. Decided it was time for some boost. I pulled this motor from the yunk jard and refreshed it. No new parts other than piston rings and gaskets. Installed an MLS HG and studs to keep the boost in.




    Sorry, I don't have any pics of the engine rebuild. I did come across this "chipped" piston that a result from floating the valves. I had to replace almost all the valves and do a little bit of work on the head to get everything right. What's that saying, no such thing as a free lunch? Threw one in I found on ebay for $25.




    Almost ready to go!





    Getting it in!














    The whole idea with the "restrictor" plates was to get the engine in and running on the stock dme and not have to install a log manifold after the fact. At this point, the exhaust housing is on, the downpipe is done and the exhaust is ran. When I go turbo, I'll just have to drop in the center section and compressor housing, mount the intercooler, run the piping and install MS. Keep in mind this is my daily driver. Adam and I had the swap done and running in one weekend. I spent another week fiddling with this and that while in between jobs at work just because I had access to the wife's touring for the week. :)








    As of right now(3/20), I've got 500 miles on the new setup and saw 26mpg on the first tank of fuel. Time for an oil change!





    Major Props to UnloadedAK for helping make this swap possible!:up:

    #2
    beautiful! Jealous of that hardtop

    Comment


      #3
      M50/zf/4 lug/USA/baby carrying/interstate driving/daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
      1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

      Comment


        #4
        You have the sexiest cast manifold i've ever seen. What PSI/HP are you shooting for?
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

        Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.



        1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

        2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

        Comment


          #5
          I hate you right now !!!
          Buy e30 cup holders
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...41#post4159541

          Buy BMW Motosports handles
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302846

          Buy BMW MOTORSPORT valve covers http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=330146

          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            You have the sexiest cast manifold i've ever seen. What PSI/HP are you shooting for?
            This car is going to be low boost. I'll take whatever I get at .5bar with the log manifold. If I have to put a number down, I'd be happy to see 300whp with this setup. I've got an M30 that did it at 10psi and a log mani. Should be close. Actually, come to think of it, it was the very exhaust housing I installed on this engine- .58.

            Comment


              #7
              it looks so good, nice work!

              Why is there snow all over the engine bay?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by grsmonkey View Post
                This car is going to be low boost. I'll take whatever I get at .5bar with the log manifold. If I have to put a number down, I'd be happy to see 300whp with this setup. I've got an M30 that did it at 10psi and a log mani. Should be close. Actually, come to think of it, it was the very exhaust housing I installed on this engine- .58.
                Dear god i want that in my life....24v+mild boost is a winning setup, reliable and pretty damn fast. Just out of curiosity, how much is this all setting you back?

                And I have another question, my m42 'vert is slow enough with a 4.27 diff. How'd you survive with a 2.93? Were you flooring it every time you started off just to keep up with traffic?
                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

                Originally posted by Cabriolet
                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.



                1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

                2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

                Comment


                  #9

                  2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
                  1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jboss12 View Post
                    it looks so good, nice work!

                    Why is there snow all over the engine bay?

                    Thanks!

                    It was parked outside and pointed head on at a snow storm. Cold Air Intake!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      pics not working for me
                      -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                      -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                      MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                      Got Drop?? ;-)
                      Originally posted by JinormusJ
                      But of course
                      E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                        Dear god i want that in my life....24v+mild boost is a winning setup, reliable and pretty damn fast. Just out of curiosity, how much is this all setting you back?

                        And I have another question, my m42 'vert is slow enough with a 4.27 diff. How'd you survive with a 2.93? Were you flooring it every time you started off just to keep up with traffic?
                        I'll let you know when the total equals one marriage, lol. I'm about halfway there...:bow:

                        It was 1st gear just about everywhere, slipping the clutch like hell. 5th gear downhill on the interstate, downshift to 4th then 3rd goin up a grade. Hope and pray it holds 80 during all that. Did I mention it was sloooooooow?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Get that ms in so you can do mine!! Looks good man, we'll be a dangerous trio in the new shop.
                          sigpic

                          Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

                          1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

                          Instagram @rebellionforge

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by grsmonkey View Post
                            It was 1st gear just about everywhere, slipping the clutch like hell. 5th gear downhill on the interstate, downshift to 4th then 3rd goin up a grade. Hope and pray it holds 80 during all that. Did I mention it was sloooooooow?
                            Eek sounds bad. I really like my short diff. I don't consider the car to be fast because any auto v6 jap sedan will beat it's ass off the line, but coming out of corners and even passing acceleration is pretty decent.
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

                            Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.



                            1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

                            2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                              Eek sounds bad. I really like my short diff. I don't consider the car to be fast because any auto v6 jap sedan will beat it's ass off the line, but coming out of corners and even passing acceleration is pretty decent.
                              Agreed. You could definitely tell there was a four cyl in there vs. a six in terms of handling.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X