Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'89 325i donor into my '85 318i (first trackday and dyno)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'89 325i donor into my '85 318i (first trackday and dyno)

Hey guys!

I have this 318i that I bought a couple of months ago for a really good deal. I quickly realized that m10 with that automatic transmission wasn't gonna do it for me in the long run.

The body in really good shape and has good tires as well as good interior. The only thing that was in great shape was the clear coat but besides that everything was really good. I was planning on doing at six cylinder swap in a manual swap sometime in the future but last week I found this great parts car then I'm going to use to swap into my car

the only reason I'm not keeping this as a track car is because I already have a car that day Rally Cross

I'm going to be attempting to swap sometime in the next 2-3 days. Was hoping somebody that has done this before could give me some info or feedback into problems on my run into. If not just comments are more than welcomed.

Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say!
    Last edited by Ocard; 09-04-2014, 07:34 AM.

Yeah I know, "how cool! An m20 into an e30!! That's never been done..... Not" lol
    Just looking for a bit more grunt and have a decent tranny.

Btw sorry for posting the gigantic pics. The other forum I post in automatically resizes them.

Comment

I know this hasn't gotten much attention but I figured I would update this at least for myself.

I got what appears to be all the gremlins out of the car and is running better than ever.
      Here is a list of all the things I've done:

Reverse light switch
      Brakes (pads, rotors and valves)
      Hand brake cable
      AC system
      Fuel tank seal
      Strut mounts
      Control arms and bushings
      Tie rods
      Battery relocation
      Tires
      PS reservoir leak
      Readjust valves
      Front sway bar links
      E36 steering rack
      Steering joint
      Master Cylinder
      Dot 4 fluid exchange
      Exhaust leak
      Gut muffler
      Vacuum line for booster
      Shift linkage
      Flex guibo disk
      Center carrier bearing
      Bosch spark plugs

And this is what is next up:
      Already have-
      E36 injectors
      Oem is oil cooler

Still need-
      Diff lsd
      Trailing arm bushings
      Adjust throttle ps
      Rear sway bar links
      Axle boots

I did a track day last month and i had such a great time!!!
      I plan to do it again as soon as possible.

Also, for shits and giggles, I went to a dyno to see what type of condition the engine was in. Plus I also wanted to get a base line map since the car is stock before I do any mods. I don't plan to do anything crazy.

I was pretty happy with the result for wheel horsepower!
      Only thing I'm gonna try and fix quickly is how lean the car was running.
      Gonna swap over to the e36 injectors pretty soon so that should help.

Thanks for looking, any tips or comments are appreciated!

P.s. if anyone can help me figure out how to make the pictures on my first postsmaller i would appreciate it.
      Last edited by Ocard; 09-04-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

resize them in any basic photo editing application or just resize them on the site you upload the pics to.

the car is awesome ! sorry if i missed this but is it your DD? and what do you plan on doing cosmetically?

1991 325i
        flickr
        @sambhaskins

Comment

Thanks!

It is my DD. Cosmetically, maybe an oem color respray and some alpina wheel knockoffs but not a big concern at the moment. Im more concerned with getting the car to be more reliable for more continous racing.

Here are some videos:

The dyno pull
          http://youtu.be/Z4metOFhN_c

The first autox
          http://youtu.be/tGrDZ5uxg64

The first track day
          http://youtu.be/QWAAgxN9vvg

Edit: I guess the links don't convert to video windows
          Last edited by Ocard; 09-04-2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Yes you kept the weaves! Keep us posted.

Comment

I actually had bottle caps with decent tires. I bought the weaves from someone on the forum for a great deal. I also used to work at pepboys and got a screaming deal on clearance tires, $120 after tax for all four tires! So it worked out well to keep small wheels.

At this point, I don't see the benefit of spending a ton of money on big wheels and tires when I could be spending the money ongetting more racing time and improving my skills.

Also forgot to mention that I have Bilsteins HD and H&R sport springs as well. The stock spings and dampers were too boaty lol

Comment

Not a bad little setup. decent #s too. How many miles on the engine?
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The donor car didn't have a cluster. The previous owner bought it as a project and didn't have time to put it back together. I think he got in over his head and he just needed to get rid of it. So to answer your question, I have no idea.

A couple months after I got it running, I did a compression test and cylinder number 5 was like 25 psi lower than the others. The others were between between low and high 170s. I have the numbers written down somewhere but I don't remember them off the top of my head. I used a Restore oil additive and did notice a difference. I feel silly for using additives but I have noticed a difference with some of my previous high milege cars before. The real test will be when I do a compression test again I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X