my e30 project - custom built s50b30us swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moreoff View Post
    have been debating on doing all my body work myself, fixing scratches and door dings and rock chips and all the rust. after some minor rust repair i attempted fixing this area today because it was bothering me, and it turned out great so far. i think i'm going to paint the entire car myself :)

the lower rusty lower valance has already had its cancers removed and new metal welded in and repaired. now time for the upper area.

wet sanded and masked off

first coat of primer

second coat of primer

may wetsand and do 1 more light coat of primer, wet sand again then put on real paint x2 then gloss :)
    You have made a couple mistakes with your body work. You should have painted just the bare metal spots and each coat you make the spot bigger. By doing it the way you did you can get "ring out" which is where you can see the outline of the area in your final product. The object is to bring the bare metal to the level of the paint surface to eliminate this. So you do these spots let primer dry and then wet sand until the primer is only over the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdreas View Post
      You have made a couple mistakes with your body work. You should have painted just the bare metal spots and each coat you make the spot bigger. By doing it the way you did you can get "ring out" which is where you can see the outline of the area in your final product. The object is to bring the bare metal to the level of the paint surface to eliminate this. So you do these spots let primer dry and then wet sand until the primer is only over the spot.
      gotcha! it's not too late. i can sand it down again and start over tomorrow. thank you for the tip, i really have no idea what i'm doing.
      but what better way to learn right? i was going to watch some youtube videos before i finished it up anyways.

the primer does look perfectly even to me so far though. i did do the primer heavier over the areas that were bare metal on both coats. i'll wet sand it all down and see how it looks tomorrow.
      My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

What type of spray did you use for dyeing rear deck?

318i M10 '87

Comment

Originally posted by Mirek E. View Post
          What type of spray did you use for dyeing rear deck?
          Just a vinyl/carpet dye I picked up at my local autozone. I got the flat black color. It's aerosol, they make liquid you can brush/rub in as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
          My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

did some work again today, shaved my antenna. i removed the antenna and sanded the area.

i bought some wire mesh screen door repair kit stuff. i used jb-weld to secure it inside the trunk and let it set for 20 minutes. and then i used some steel stick on the external part and smashed it down into the mesh/jb weld. shaped it a little, then let it set for an hour. giving me this.

then once it was as hard as a rock, i got a foam sanding sponge and went to town on it. now i have this.

need to prime it and wetsand it, but it's going to look like i never even had an antenna :)
            My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Got a new steering wheel :) Need to get some washers as a spacer tomorrow so I can mount it..

My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Yesss euro valance and trim ;D all from the dealership :-D

My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Nice! BBS RZ's?
                  84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
                    Nice! BBS RZ's?
                    Yup. BBS RZ378 15"

Sent from my g'nex using Tapatalk!
                    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

I like the antenna delete.
                      » PARTS FOR SALE
                      » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                        I like the antenna delete.
                        thanks, car is getting painted in 2 weeks. should come out super clean.:D
                        My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

also i have some minor pics of some small work i've been doing, here i am using my ryanG splitter as a template to drill holes into my iS lip.
                          i didnt want to use the metal self-tapping screws that came with the splitter, so i purchased some 10-24 nylon machine screws with washers/nuts.
                          will be a more solid install this way while still allowing both materials to flex together. as you can see the hood paint is terrible, so excited for new paint job.

here are the holes drill, lip is getting painted next week, then i will bolt it all together, i'll be sure to post pics of the screws i used and how it turned out.

My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

i've also ordered a ton of small parts that will be getting replaced on the car. nearly all of the exterior trim,
                            as well as the license plate lights, license plate bolts, pretty much everything on the outside.
                            and a few larger pieces on the inside, like a custom cupholder center console. should be very dialed exterior/interior wise for this upcoming summer.
                            then next fall it will be getting some custom built 24v action.

My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

just dropped off a bunch of parts for paint! 3 weeks car should be painted better than new :)
                              My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

since i have the rear glass out as the car awaits paint. decided to port the parcel thing into my trunk for my lukebox. came out okay for eyeballing it, a little bit off.

also my drill caught fire on the 2nd hole, so i had to finish that one manually

function over form right?
                                My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X