84 325e m50 plastic bumper swap: Now on Catuned coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 325e m50 plastic bumper swap: Now on Catuned coilovers

So at the beginning of the summer I was shopping around on craigslist and stumbled upon this e30. She wasnt the prettiest but I was in school for automotive collision and had painted a few cars in tech so I was not afraid. I bought her for a reasonable price of a shell since she wasnt running. The way the PO described the last time he drove the he made it wasnt going to take much to get it running... He was wrong. I towed it to school and started ordering the basic parts it obviously needed and then hooked a battery charger to it and tried to start it. It was not making the right noises.. Could hear audible starter trying sound but nothing else. Did some tests found out I didnt have spark at the wires but did at the coil. Decided to see if the crank was free and guess what.... It was completely locked. I didnt see it as the worst news in the world since I wanted to do a motor swap anyways.. If only I hadnt started ordering parts I started doing research and collecting my basic swap parts.

IMG_20130603_165341_012 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130603_165354_337 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130603_165406_746 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130603_165436_370 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130710_104236_099 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130804_232922_074 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130811_194021_274 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130818_095324_968 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130810_155940_196 by Rdreas, on Flickr

IMG_20130820_125406_630 by Rdreas, on Flickr
    Got this thing for a steal off a junkyard donor. X20 from e36

IMG_20130816_164944_997 by Rdreas, on Flickr
    The m50tu

IMG_20130802_173500_553 by Rdreas, on Flickr
    Last edited by Rdreas; 09-07-2015, 09:20 PM.

Anyone know what the specs on the 4 bolts needed to go to the getrag 260 are?

Comment

i do not know the answer to your question, but i want to say congrats on the e30, i look forward to seeing more progress

Comment

Got some more work done over the weekend.

Untitled by Rdreas, on Flickr

clutch doesnt look the best but still has a little bit of life.. I hope..

Anyone need M20 parts? they will be going cheap!

Sanded and painted my lolli's then pushed in some new condor speedshop bushings.

Comment

All that work to put that clutch back in? Call up Kentucky clutch.....I got my M20 flywheel resurfaced, new sach's pressure plate, new clutch, TO bearing all for about $180....
          1997 Artic Silver M3
          CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
            All that work to put that clutch back in? Call up Kentucky clutch.....I got my M20 flywheel resurfaced, new sach's pressure plate, new clutch, TO bearing all for about $180....
            Damn thats not bad yeah I'm looking into it now I just still have a list of other parts I'm needing so its probably going on there too.

Comment

Just would hate to see you go through all this trouble and have an issue with the clutch....beg, borrow, steal so you don't have to do the clutch again anytime soon!
              1997 Artic Silver M3
              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                Just would hate to see you go through all this trouble and have an issue with the clutch....beg, borrow, steal so you don't have to do the clutch again anytime soon!
                haha you have a very goood point so clutch is now on the list for sure. Also need to get my flywheel machined.

Comment

Good work so far. I have those same, horrible wheels on my E30.
                  1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                  1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                  bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
                    Good work so far. I have those same, horrible wheels on my E30.
                    I hate them but I'm on a tight budget so they will probably be the last thing to go. I'll probably plastidip them black or white.

Comment

So it was stupid humid in Atlanta this week so progress was slow. I'm also waiting on my clutch kit and need to get my flywheel machined.
                      Old block lookin shitty but was expecting worse.

Head was surprisingly ok too.

Found out my tranny can run the alloy shift carrier:o...

[/url]
                      might have to just cut the metal one up twist it and weld it... Thoughts?
                      Last edited by Rdreas; 10-14-2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Its been another slow weekend/week. Clutch is in the mail. Loaded up some parts in my car so I can roll by the car wash at some point and degrease them a little better. Here is my e34 pan after 2 hours of scrubbing and still needs more.

Got myself a harbor freight engine stand and put my m50 on it

Got my flywheel back today!

Hopefully I will be able to get the e34 pan cleaned up and on this weekend and maybe even mounted to my subframe...

Comment

so last week I cleaned my e34 oil pan up and mounted it to my m50. Also cleaned up my subframe and tranny while I was at it.

Spent like 20+ dollars and 2+ hours at the self serve car wash

Clutch kit came with a broken throw out bearing

Clutch kit and shaved flywheel

Had one hell of a time getting the last screw off this pickup

New pickup and gasket on ready to roll

Also replaced my oe water pump with a meyle and they were both metal finned but the meyle looked so much beefier and well built. I have a comparison shot somewhere ill post later

Comment

so been working on it a couple weekends now engine is just about ready to go in still have a lil bit left to spray before i drop it in though.

mocked up my subframe and e36 rack swap before painting my subframe

painting subframe up

finished product after drying

bay prior to undercoating

bay mostly undercoated still have to do the radiator support. It was still dirty and in need of more sanding.. and i ran out of undercoating.

so this is my m50 starter and i was wondering what i do with the two smaller wires on the sides. they look like they are connected to ground... but my m20 starter only has two posts ill need to take a picture for better clarification.
                            last of all cracked open my ecu to order a chip tonight and its a silver label 413
                            and i found out it has a dinan chip already so do i need to chip it to delete ews?? or will this chip delete it?? if i got a red label and swapped this chip into it would it raise my redline to 7k???

Last edited by Rdreas; 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

So i finished painting my radiator support.
                              Bolted up engine and trans and bent my metal shift carrier and shift linkage.

Here is how i bent the carrier incase you wondered

unmasked it and put the headlights and harness back in

ix booster installed

Comment

Working...
                              X