Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballin' on a budget 87 325e (Now M52 swapped! going boosted!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballin' on a budget 87 325e (Now M52 swapped! going boosted!)

Hey everybody. Long time lurker here finally posting some stuff on my car. I bought mine about 2 years ago and she looked like this:

I got it from an old man in clarksville, tn. it had 190k on the broken-for-10-years odometer. It had all new front end components in the suspension, and i paid 1200 for it. First i redid the whole front of the motor but thats about where the mechanical side of things stop sadly...

Now i work at a body shop so naturally aesthetics came before mechanics. I know thats not the proper way to do it, and i wish i had the money to do it proper but as the title states, im ballin' on a budget here.

So anyway, my cars already been through several stages. First thing i did was get wheels and cut (yes, i know, i know) my springs. I went with some 15x9 and 15x8 et0 xxr's because theyre cheap and look decent.

She looked good but of course i wasnt near where i wanted to be. Only cool/different thing i did before completely redoing it was added this sweet lip off of the new dodge challengers. i had to cut it in the middle and shrink it down but i thought it looked decent for a diving board car. And i also got some projector/crosshair headlights

So then came tax time and i got some money to really make it what i want. First of all i wanted to ditch the diving boards. However, i didnt want to go mtech or IS kit because well...as gorgeous as they look, i wanted to do something different while maintaining a simple OEM+ kind of look to the body. In came fiberglass bumpers and ford taurus side skirts. And while i was at it, i stripped the whole outside of the car down to bare metal. This damn thing had EIGHTEEN LAYERS of paint/clear/primer on it.....I also bedlined the engine bay/trunk for easy cleaning and durability.

I went, at first, with e36 m3 style bumpers front and rear.

Paint stripping

After a few layers removed i dug in to find how deep it went....

Then i made a custom color. started out as a chrysler green, i blued it up and added blue and green pearl to it. wish i had better pics of the color but this was immediately after the car was finished. The black e30 is my friend, chase. That damn thing was insane. 12' wide diamond racings under completely custom fabbed fenders....fuck yeah it was awesome..

I got it done just in time for SoWo 2012

I wasnt too pleased with the front bumper, i thought it was too bulky looking for the clean and simple look i was going for. But then, enter bambi.

I slayed a small deer 50ft down the road from the body shop i work at and drug it about another 100ft down the road before i pulled off in a driveway. Heres the aftermath:

(those bolts holding the bumper on were post-deer lol, not my original mounting procedure)

So then i decided, hell...my insurance is paying for a new bumper, i can find a better one, and i did. DTMFiberWerkz offered one they called "BRYTN" and its a slightly cleaner looking/ more compact version of the e36 m3 style. even uses the e36 fog lights just like the first bumper.

Repair time just around halloween last year, i gave the car a halloween costume:

Also decided to make a diamond plate skid plate/splitter for the new bumper. This ended up not working because it hung too low and got effed up pretty quickly but it looked good for the week or so it was on.

All fixed up: much happier with this front bumper

Then i finally got around to doing a 5 speed swap. Got the whooolle swap for $300

Changed the front splitter to a plastic one made out of old skate ramps haha plus repairs again after the metal one smashed into the bumper.

And that is pretty much how she sits now. BUT i do have this:

*Insert pic of wrecked e36 convertible that i lost the pic of*

I got the car for $200 and the motor still turned over and ran!! Smooth as could be. So im going to be putting an m52 in there real soon! ill keep this thread updated as i go!
    Last edited by sk8freakrt; 01-27-2015, 10:08 PM.

Subed!! Nice work..the very last bumper you went with, is that a BMP bumper?

Sent from my GS4 Active now Free
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Outstanding. I like that you went a different route, and the quality time you put into it.
      Keep it up

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        Subed!! Nice work..the very last bumper you went with, is that a BMP bumper?

I have seen someone else with the exact same looking bumper who said it was a bmp bumper. So im assuming that it is a replica of a BMP. Mine is made by DTM Fiberwerkz and its called "BRYTN" whatever that stands for.

Thanks, both of you for the kind words!

Comment

Breyton copy

Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Thats awesome! Ive never seen that kit before.

Tonight i had a friend with a tractor come help me lift the motor off of the ground. I was going to attempt to pull the whole subframe out, attatch the struts with a strut tower brace, place a dollie under the trans and then just roll the whole engine/subframe out (i dont have an engine hoist yet) but turns out both motor mounts are broken so the engine just kinda settled on the ground when i unbolted everything.

Anyway...its out now and i have another friend bring me an engine hoist tomorrow so i can lift it up, get the trans off and get this baby on a motor stand.

It got dark on us pretty quick so you cant tell much from the pics, but its progress nonetheless.

my pup watching haha

Its free!

Comment

Nice..how you get the block trim on the front bumper..did it come with it?

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                Nice..how you get the block trim on the front bumper..did it come with it?

Its just a fiberglass bumper, all one piece. I just masked it off after i painted the green, sanded inside the tape and sprayed it flat black.

Comment

WOW. That's one hell of a transformation! Keep up the good work dude . Thank you for getting rid of the E36 bumper!
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

great progress, i like how the paint turned out.
                    NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
                    9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
                    WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
                    STÄTUS|
                    Got Juice?|

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                      WOW. That's one hell of a transformation! Keep up the good work dude . Thank you for getting rid of the E36 bumper!

Originally posted by pacmanE30 View Post
                      great progress, i like how the paint turned out.
                      Thank you both! Going to start tearing the m52 down for an obd1 swap today!

Comment

Got the motor apart for the most part. About time to pull the obd1 motor parts and swap em over.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

This baby's moving slow but i finally have somewhat of an update. Got my wiring harness complete thanks to mr RobertK. Check this shit out! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312315

Great deal from a great guy and the harness in the pics is mine. cant wait for it to get here. Got some maintenance parts coming soon and then motor mounts and a fan setup and the motor will be going in. hopefully by march.

Comment

Alright, finally have updates. I got some akg motor mounts, all the temp sensors, etc that I need and finally got cracking on this thing. I forgot to snap pics of some things but so far I've installed new valve cover gasket, thermostat and thermostat housing, cleaned the dog piss out of everything, welded up the SAP holes on the exhaust manifold, painted some shit and put some things on the block lol. I'm so specific with my words....here's some pics.

Painting

Kadunza's wiring harness

E34 pan and bottom end gasket set

Worst, most shaky pic ever

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by sk8freakrt; 01-05-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Looks good. I must ask why paint the engine mounts on the engine?

Comment

Working...
                              X