No announcement yet.

Brilliantrot 24v swap: BACK UNDER THE KNIFE!..Now with puppy content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing particular to update other than painting and cleaning parts is going well. Pretty happy with how these have turned out.

Pulled the tensioner pulley apart as I didn't want to buy another and it was seized. A few minutes in a vice and some penetrating lube and it moves freely again. Pulled the bearing shields off the pulley and cleaned and relubed those, spins smooth. Cleaned and painted.

Engine arms also hammer finished and thermostat housing wrinkle finished.

Working on stripping the valve cover but paint stripper isn't liking this strangely cold Ohio weather. It snowed this morning . Not cool Ohio.

Going back up to the shop this weekend and painting the block and hopefully getting it mostly back together. By next weekend I'd like the engine done so I can start pulling and prepping the car.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

This is awesome! I've actually been researching m50s + G240s earlier and stumbled across your thread. This is exactly what I'll more than likely be doing to my m42 as well. Your m42 bay is amazing and thanks for the sunrise red info! I need it bad. lol
      sigpic

Comment

Nice!! Sub'd. I also just began my M50NV swap. I like the simplicity of this set up. Keep posting the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by gome123 View Post
          Nice!! Sub'd. I also just began my M50NV swap. I like the simplicity of this set up. Keep posting the good work.
          Thanks I'll try 8-)

Stuff came.
          91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Definitely going to be watching this. Thinking about going the same route as you. M42 is boring and I'm still in school so don't haves big enough budget to do an s52

Comment

Looks like you're making great progress! Did you get a leak down test done? Never be easier than it is right now to do a HG replacement...I'd still consider that, were I you. Peace of mind really is a beautiful thing
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by TroyShark View Post
                Definitely going to be watching this. Thinking about going the same route as you. M42 is boring and I'm still in school so don't haves big enough budget to do an s52
                Thanks! I'll keep it updated best I can.

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                Looks like you're making great progress! Did you get a leak down test done? Never be easier than it is right now to do a HG replacement...I'd still consider that, were I you. Peace of mind really is a beautiful thing
                Nope this weekend when I make it back up to the shop. Hoping for the best, sort of prepared for the worst. Haha.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Good luck Nick!!

#teamross

Comment

:UPDATE!:

Had a decent day at the shop today. First up was the leak down test. Turning the crank by hand on each cylinder showed pretty decent results. 3 of them showed very good, 2 were in the average range and 1 was a tad lower but still acceptable. So I decided to move forward. We suspect that since the engine has sat for a bit without running they possibly show lower than what they are. Once it's running I'll do a compression test and redo the leak down and see where we're at with it.

Started at the oil pan. Removed the E36 pick up tube and bent the bracket off. Reinstalled the tray and the new E34 pick up with a new gasket.

While we were down there I had my buddy tack a quick weld on the nut for safe measures.

E34 pan all cleaned up

Was all excited to get the bottom end buttoned back up till I realized I left the bag with the bolts for the pan at my house . The downside of working on this an hour from home.

So with that screw up out of the way, I went up top.

Looking pretty good up here! New valve cover gasket installed. Cams show almost no sign of wear and the timing gears look great as well.

Installed the valve cover with the new gasket and rubber grommets for each bolt. Also put the oil filter housing and new oil pressure switch back on as well as the thermostat housing.

It's all about the details! Bolts and washers sanded, primed and painted.

On the oil filter housing...I want to run an oil pressure gauge and I'd seen a few adapters but I noticed a threaded socket is plugged with a hex head bolt right next to the factory pressure switch. Does anyone know I can simply thread the pressure sender unit into here or will I need an adapter?

New spark plugs were put in too and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the old ones. None showed any signs of being fouled, covered in oil or overly burnt. All very consistent looking which I was happy about.

Also put the engine mount arms back on. Are they on the right way? I honestly wasn't paying attention when I took them off, haha.

Today they met for the first time.

At this point I realized I forgot the bolts for the water pump at home with the oil pan bolts.....AND the bolts for coil packs. Oh and the bolts for the tensioner pulley to go back on. And the crank pulley I suck at this today . Last night consisted of some heavy craft beer drinking and I paid the price today. My brain is mush. So that's about as far as I made it today. Going back up this week to hopefully button it back up. Took my intake manifold home to clean up and pull the injectors, clean them and install new o-rings. My harness adapter is on it's way (thanks Nando!:up:) and a clutch and flywheel and alternator are being ordered this week. That should be the last major parts to order. Some gaskets and bits here and there will pop up I'm sure.

Things I still need!
                    -402 DME for a NV motor
                    -water pump pulley

If you have these, sell them to me immediately.

Untill next time!
                    Cheers
                    Nick

Last edited by Nick_S; 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Great progress, man!! Love the attention to detail on the valve cover bolts & washers, as well as the bolt top on the oil filter housing.

I'd highly recommend getting a set of OBD2 exhaust manifolds. Lighter, they flow better and they look a heck of a lot better. Looking forward to more updates!

#teamross

Comment

Thanks man! I'll see if I can find a pair on the cheap. I may splurge and buy some nicer knock off ones from eBay.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

I've got a set of obd2 s52 manifolds id let go cheap nick.
                          1987 325is - S52

Comment

Nick, just to make it an easy decision for you, here is a back-to-back of my old OBD1 s my OBD2 manis...

#teamross

Comment

Looking good so far! I third the 944 booster working flawlessly for me. Also going with shorty ebay headers or obd 2 is the way to go. I have a super sprint rep long tube and it was a lot of work to get fitting adequately. Installation was also awful and required removing the motor mount arm on that side. there are some pics in here that might be helpful I cant remember what I sent you on the vortex already http://www.flickr.com/photos/5117025...7629168566218/

Comment

Thanks for chiming in chris!
                                91 318is M50 swapped
                                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Working...
                                X