No announcement yet.

Brilliantrot 24v swap: BACK UNDER THE KNIFE!..Now with puppy content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car fired back up tonight! Quick check seemed to have the clutch feeling and working great. Radiator wasn't on so I only let it run for like 30 seconds. I'll have it back on the road this weekend.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Little back track post. Sunday my buddy came back down to help put the engine back together and in the car. First I gave the bay a mild clean/wipe down.

Quick clean on the inlet/outlet for the heater core.

After a quick looking over and double check we mated the engine and transmission back together. I ended up buying almost all new bolts to secure the trans as the old ones had seen better and figured why not.

New exhaust gaskets ready to go.

And 20 minutes later, back home,

Got the engine all put back together and realized I forgot to get fluids and I didn't feel like going to walmart to get oil at 1030 at night so I let it sit.

Flash forward last night and I filled the engine and transmission. Tightened up all bolts and turned the key. First it sputtered a bit, then the battery died so I had to pull my truck around to jump. After a loose fuel line was tightened (not before spraying fuel all over), it fired right up. Wasn't idling great but also its been sitting with the engine out for a month. Didn't run it long as the radiator wasn't hooked up but I just wanted to make sure the starter engaged and everything seemed to be fine. I'll wrap it up in the next couple days. Really I just to need to bolt the driveshaft back on and double check all the bolts and it'll be good to roll.

Also here's more puppy content.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

I never updated this thread. After chasing an embarrassing issue for over a month. Car is back on the road and running and driving great. I ended up accidentally installing the crank pulley one full bolt hole off...yes there is a guide pin, yes I somehow still installed it wrong, yes I'm a moron. Oh well it's good to go now. After sorting everything out, I installed some Condor solid 24V engine mounts and poly trans mounts. I'll be honest, it might be a bit too much for me. It's not a track car and it's not daily driven but I'd still like it to be tolerable to drive so I'm going to swap the factory trans mounts back in.

First time out of the garage in 2 months.

Trans mounts

Engine mounts and steering coupler.

Shop

I had a few people ask me early on in this thread how I got the wiring to fit under the covers and never ended up getting a picture of it till now. Took a few zip ties, a bit of finagling and tucking wires around but it all fits pretty well with minimal trimming to the covers. Even managed to get the relay's to sit well in the factory holders.

Hopefully I don't have to do anything else to the car for awhile. It had troubles most of last year so it sat a lot more than it didn't. It's getting a suspension refresh but hopefully that be a weekend of work and not end up being a giant project.

Just to recap, here's a list of what all was replaced/upgraded in the last year:

• master cylinder + all lines
        • rubber seals in reservoir
        • slave cylinder + UUC stainless line
        • Valeo single mass flywheel + M42 clutch/PP
        • Input/output shaft seals on trans
        • all shift bushing + condor solid rear carrier bushing
        • oil pan gasket + oil pan (after smashing it)
        • Red46 skid plate
        • Rear main seal/crankshaft seal
        • Pilot bearing
        • All rubber fuel lines in engine bay
        • Intake manifold gaskets
        • fuel injector o-rings
        • Vacuum lines to IAC
        • Idle control valve (used)
        • Crank Position Sensor
        • Front Brake calipers rebuilt
        • Stainless brake lines + ATE fluid
        • Hawk HPS pads
        • Brembo blank rotors
        • Royal Purple fluid in trans and rear dif

Later this week a new Bosch fuel filter and spark plugs going in as well as a air filter cleaning and new ground straps. Exhaust needs some work but it can wait a bit and I'll pay someone to do that.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Just read through your whole thread, really cool build! Also very simalar to my m54 build. I'll probably use some of your tips and tricks. :)
          M54B30 E30 build:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=426585

Comment

Is yours OBD1 or 2? If OBD1, do you have it chipped and if so which chip?
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd
            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by maxpostma View Post
              Just read through your whole thread, really cool build! Also very simalar to my m54 build. I'll probably use some of your tips and tricks. :)

Thanks man! Happy to help!

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              Is yours OBD1 or 2? If OBD1, do you have it chipped and if so which chip?

OBD1 and yes it has a TRM chip. I've ran it back to back with a stock 403 and my chipped 403. The difference is quite noticeable, especially in the mid to high RPM's
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Thanks! I have a m52b28 swapped obd1 car with no chip and thinking I need one to complete the swap.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

subscribed.....

Comment

Working...
                  X