No announcement yet.

Brilliantrot 24v swap: BACK UNDER THE KNIFE!..Now with puppy content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried to measure my shift rod on the car with the g240 and it's around 9.5 inches give or take.

Comment

Nothing special. The harness I got with the car had some wires cut. Using the harness I got with my E34 for parts. I hate wiring.

The wires for the 02 sensor were the only ones who didn't match color for color. Got some digging to do on this.

Hoping to get the motor all back together this weekend.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Feeling like crap today and didn't want to make the hour drive. Waiting on some more parts to show up so all I could have done was bolt the oil pan back up and a few odds and ends. Clutch and flywheel being ordered monday. This is taking longer and costing more than I thought, I suppose I should have expected that, ha. Although having it an hour away really sucks but will be worth it when I actually get to the engine swap part of this.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Don't know if you fixed it or not yet, but the passenger mount arm is upside-down in that picture.

Comment

Looks like a fun project, don't forget to get the right gaskets for the exhaust manifold otherwise you you will have a sneaky exhaust leak, ask me how i know:)

Comment

Originally posted by rudenate View Post
              Don't know if you fixed it or not yet, but the passenger mount arm is upside-down in that picture.
              Haha yea I noticed that.

Originally posted by E30stan View Post
              Looks like a fun project, don't forget to get the right gaskets for the exhaust manifold otherwise you you will have a sneaky exhaust leak, ask me how i know:)
              Yep got new ones! I need to get the studs out and put new ones in though.
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Some shit got did today...

Started with a bunch of parts and a partially assembled engine.

Oil pan bolted and torqued up.

Crank pulley and water pump went back on.

Painted, cleaned and reinstalled the intake manifold and new TB gasket. Still need to clean my injectors and put the new o-rings on. Also this is staying off till the motor is in the car. Have read it is easier that way.

Water pump pulley, tensioner and a new alternator went on. Mini cooper S belt is a perfect fit!

Started to run the harness and remembered I didn't have all the connections labeled or were missing a few still. New intake boot and MAF installed for shits and giggles. Got new valve cover breather hoses and couplers also.

So...that looks like an engine ready to meet it's new home!

Decided on using the G250 that came with the motor for ease of use. Going to swap dif's down the road as the 4:10 out back is going to make this a rev happy setup for awhile. Started cleaning it up a bit.

New order from Gripforce came in. OEM sachs clutch and F1 14.5lb chromoly flywheel. Can't wait to get this in there.

That is all for now! Hope to get the car up to the shop this week and start getting it all drained and stripped. Next weekend should be a huge step as I hope to get the M42 out of there! I have all the major components covered now, will need some small bits here and there but hoping this project starts to pick up steam now. Will update soon!
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Great thread! Happy to see another NV M50, good to know that other people know as well that Vanos isn't really that important.

Comment

excellent work!

Get her in there and enjoy all of your hard work!
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
                      Great thread! Happy to see another NV M50, good to know that other people know as well that Vanos isn't really that important.
                      Thanks! I've got an m50tu in my e34 and have driven an m50nv car and I truthfully couldn't tell a difference. I like the nv for its simplisticity. The less parts to go wrong the better. Thats what I'm going for with this 'build'

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                      excellent work!

Get her in there and enjoy all of your hard work!
                      Thanks man! I certainly hope it comes together like I envision it, ha.
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                        Thanks! I've got an m50tu in my e34 and have driven an m50nv car and I truthfully couldn't tell a difference.
                        Same. Could barely notice any difference, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
                          Same. Could barely notice any difference, either.
                          Vanos is for the gays :up:

Found a calculator online to determine the engine speed with the G250 and 4.10 rear. Shows 4k rpm at 67mph. Haha. So....Anyone wanna swap a very well functioning, solid locking, quiet 4.10 LSD for a 3.73?
                          91 318is M50 swapped
                          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

UPDATE!!:

Made some good headway today at the shop. Got it ready to be pulled out next weekend when I'll have a few friends come with me and help me pull the motor.

Nice uneventful farewell drive to the M42. I do like these engine, but I want more power and especially more low end torque. The engine still runs strong and will be for sale priced cheap to get it out of the shop ASAP.

Forgot my bike was on the roof. Thank god these doors are high enough

One last shot intact.

Final start up video. Also so if anyone on here buys, you can see it was running well when pulled. Forgot to take compression numbers though

I know I know, should have shot in landscape. Whatever.:dot:

Started by removed the hood and getting my small tool kit out.

Started pulling off trim, covers, anything that would be in the way. Drained the radiator and pulled it out of there.

looking pretty bare after only 15 minutes.

Started to undo the harness.

So much room for activities!

Engine harness disconnected and DME removed.

Drained the oil. Very clean as usual.

Disconnected the fuel lines. Pinched them with vice grips then plugged them with random tools An allen wrench and an extension

Pile of parts removed is getting larger.

Pretty much leaving me here.

I couldn't really get much further without help. All I need to do is undo the exhaust and drive shaft and it's ready to come out. Pretty excited as it finally feels like I'm getting this started. Hoping to make fast progress from here. Next weekend the engine and trans will be pulled and will hopefully get the brake booster slotted and moved over. Will also be cleaning and degreasing the bay because why not? The following weekend I'd like to get the new M50 and trans installed start getting it wired up. My birthday is December 18th, just a little over month from now. My goal is the car will be driven home by then!

Was about pack it up and head out when I realized I left my window down. No problem I'll just roll it up....except the computer was remvoed and the fuse box no longer had power Dumbass. So I got creative. Removed the door panel, unhooked the harness for the window motor, stuck a few small allen wrenches in the sockets and grabbed the jump pack. Window went right up. Crisis averted.

The motor and all accessories are going to be sold. Solid running, good DME with TMS chip, BavAuto coil packs, etc. I'll post a FS thread but if anyone wants first dibs shoot me a PM.
                            91 318is M50 swapped
                            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Man sad to see that m42 go.

It will Always take longer then you think. Trust me lol.

It's also gonna be really hard to get a chain anywhere on the back of the engine with the intake manifold on. I usually remove it to get to the rear hoist mounting point when I remove/install a 24v

Also is that an M3 clutch ? Or did you order it for a 325i? I've been having a problem trying to order a Gripforce clutch for an e36 325i at work and it's been a shit show, they sent me a similar looking flywheel like what you have but they say it's for an M3 and may not fit the 325i, with the Getrag 250? Because the M3s have a slightly bigger flywheel .
                              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

The intake manifold is staying off the 24v till it's in place. As far as the clutch, it was listed for a 325i, hopefully no issues. We'll see.
                                91 318is M50 swapped
                                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Working...
                                X