No announcement yet.

My turbo 24v alpine coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you saying that so that the sensor doesnt overheat?

I totally understand where your coming from. However, Bosch suggests that you run the o2 sensor in the hottest place it can take. The sensor im using can handle bursts of 1030 C.

While I have heard in the past that 6-18" is what is suggested, alot of the OEM's are moving the wideband closer and closer to the turbine housings. On alot of the downpipes I work with at work, we have had no issues running them less than 6" from the housing.

On the other hand, the farther you have it out, the longer it takes to warm up and the longer the delay is between the exhaust leaving the cylinder and hitting the o2 sensor. This is usually negligible while in boost, but the less mass airflow you have the longer it takes to hit the o2 sensor (generally). Some of the new ecu's I work with compensate for this but my ecu doesn't.

I wish I was a badass mofo who would put backpressure and EGT sensors in each runner and in the collector and wastegate tube.
    www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

IMG_0926 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

Done welding the charge pipes for the most part. Just need to weld in the IAT bung and put some welds on the outside one of the ends because it won't bead roll. Hopefully ill get them powder coated too
      www.cp-e.com

Comment

Finished the intake last night. Was able to make it from scrap pieces. Luckily the company I work for recently started making 4" intakes so we have 4" aluminum laying around.

IMG_0001 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr
        IMG_0002 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr
        IMG_0003 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr
        IMG_0004 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

Ill admit, theres some welds on there I am proud of, and some that I am not so proud of. This is the 3rd thing I've ever fabbed from aluminum (the first 2 being the charge pipes) so bear with me. The hole saw I used really sucked and made the hole alot bigger than the fitting so there were some gaps to fill. The filter is just for mockup, I have a brand new one ready for it but didn't want to get any aluminum shavings on it. the end on it is also open to get air from behind the headlights. The -10AN fitting is for the catch can system so that it recirculates and the vacuum from the intake pulls on the crankcase.

Fuel System is next.

Anybody run an ebay m42/m44 aluminum radiator? I REALLY hate the late model coolant tank and want to use that space for other stuff. I am just worried the decreased length is going to hurt cooling. My other thought was to run an inline coolant filler neck and an overflow tank. I am worried that decreased amount of coolant might hurt cooling... lose lose.
        www.cp-e.com

Comment

A few HQ photos of the turbo from yesterday

1B3A1074 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

1B3A1073 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr
          www.cp-e.com

Comment

Kinda Quiet in here

IMG_0020 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0021 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0022 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

Pipes are coated. Its flat black but the pics make them look lighter. Elbow is fully welded onto the compressor housing (before was just tacked).

I don't like how sharp that angle is either but it was needed to get around the tires at full lock.
            www.cp-e.com

Comment

Nice progress.

Comment

Charge pipes look good! I'm trying to learn to TIG so that I can fab up my own downpipe and charge pipe...It's a slower process then I thought.

Also, what is the AN fitting on the intake elbow for? Vacuum line for crank case venting through a catch can?

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                  Charge pipes look good! I'm trying to learn to TIG so that I can fab up my own downpipe and charge pipe...It's a slower process then I thought.

Also, what is the AN fitting on the intake elbow for? Vacuum line for crank case venting through a catch can?
                  Thanks! Yes the process is super slow learning. Practice is key! Looking back I really could have benefited messing with the settings on the welder. I was used to stainless where I pretty much only mess with amperage.

Yes. PCV from the Valve cover->catch can->intake. Keeping it totally separate from the boost.
                  www.cp-e.com

Comment

Finally got a chance to work on it last sunday. Frustrating how little I got done from a whole day.

I finally installed the fuel pump. I have no pictures. I was going to use my old 255 but I couldnt find the filter sock for it. I ended up installing my AEM 320lph. A while back I bought a whole new hanger with pump just to not use the pump. I had to shave down the bottom bracket or else the filter sock wouldnt snap in. Replaced the few inches of line and clamps between the hanger and the crossover line (i think its called). I switched the clamps to EFI instead of the worm gear as they will start to eat at the line.

Removed the rest of the rear interior in preparation for condor door cards and then the roll bar.

IMG_0072 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0073 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

While I do love these door cards, I am a little peeved that there is NO hardware for them except to attach the door pulls to the door. I would have hoped at least some screws for the plastic door pull bracket. I taped them to the door and then center punched all around. Broke my only 1/8" size drill bit on the first hole. Good old amazon prime and new bits and rivets are waiting for me at home.

Also removed the antenna (going to use an aux cable pretty much always) and installed the garagetastic antenna plug.

IMG_0074 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

Ended up with a nice pile of weight savings (door cards, antenna, rear seat, rear seatbelts).

After alot of back and forth on harnesses/seatbelts, I am going to delete all the seatbelts and run my schroth rallye 4 harnesses from my old car. They are DOT approved so I can run them all the time. I also have a super duper old school rallye 3 harness too I got in japan for $30 and most of a set of 6 point TRW 3" wide harnesses too, but they are WAY past there FIA date and not really safe for the street.

Got to spend last saturday at NJMP tuning a focus RS running a track event. It was my first real HPDE event I have attended and it was AWESOME! The RS ended up matching times with a Ferrari 488 and some tuning street cred for me. Tuning is picking up alot and im tuning about 2-3 cars a week.
                    www.cp-e.com

Comment

Spent all day last saturday getting stuff done.

Door cards installed:

IMG_0080 (1) by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

and roll bar installed

IMG_0088 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

I know. none of this gets the car running, but all those parts were taking up too much space in the shop and I am trying to consolidate space. The more I moved the roll bar around the shop, the more it got scratched up and the rear door cards needed to be installed before the roll bar. I am starting to regret doing a bolt in deal as the fitment is not what I want. The whole bar is too far back. Ill build a roll bar/cage eventually.

I also took my lunch break getting all the overspray off the windows. Holy crap they are clear again. Should have taped off the car much better when I did the engine bay.
                      www.cp-e.com

Comment

Lots and lots of updates.

Shop is moving. Had to get the e30 out. My buddy was nice enough to pick it up with his trailer and bring it to his shop at his house, which forced me to throw the front end back on.

IMG_0265 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

So off it went

IMG_0184 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0186 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

I also did some fender work in the rear.

IMG_0147 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

after....

IMG_0148 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

most of the tread is under the fender now, going to revisit it and do the other side. If I can run this setup with no rubbing ill be happy. But its also 16x10 -2.

I bought a rebuilt/upgraded vanos from a member on here. Good thing I did. When I went to do it i noticed:
                        -Timing was off
                        -One of the tensioner bolts had backed out (upper cam chain tensioner)
                        -old vanos was done for.

Reset the timing, installed new vanos with chase bays vanos line.

I also:

-Made the oil drain line for turbo
                        -Mounted the fuel pressure regulator and made the lines
                        -Mounted the EBCS
                        -Installed Serp. belt
                        -Ordered new coolant hoses because the ebay ones suck and never fit right. Trying this toyota previa hose that you cut in half
                        -Bought new plugs (same as the old ones) but actually gapped them this time to around 0.023". The ones in there were at like 0.045". Cylinder 6 was not combusting which has me a little worried, but it could have been the timing or a bad coilpack or something simple.
                        -Planning fan wiring. Should be able to use the coolant sensor signal and have the ECU trigger a relay. Might have a backup switch too.

If all goes well shell be running by memorial day. Im in Austin, TX all week at COBB Tuning Hq!
                        Last edited by mitchlevy7; 05-22-2018, 05:07 AM. Reason: added stuff
                        www.cp-e.com

Comment

Hey those door cards are gorgeous, did you make those or are they off the shelf from somewhere?

Comment

This has been a journey. The other car, what happened to it? Wasn't this red one supposed to be your daily?

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                              Hey those door cards are gorgeous, did you make those or are they off the shelf from somewhere?
                              Condor Speed shop makes them! Thanks bud I love them!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              This has been a journey. The other car, what happened to it? Wasn't this red one supposed to be your daily?
                              White coupe was stripped of all the goodies and sold for $250. Dude who bought it from me ended up getting like $1500 out of it =/ It had some damage and rust that I didn't want to repair and I really didnt want to spend the time removing all the dynamat that was getting over everything. That tar/adhesive would get all over my shoes and anything else that went in the car.

the red car was my daily for a little over a year. I bought a 2015 Fiesta ST (the company I work for makes parts for them and I tune them professionally). I just didn't want to daily a 29 year old car anymore and MD is getting stricter with driving historic cars on the daily.
                              www.cp-e.com

Comment

BIG NEWS:

IMG_0335 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

(not sure if this video works, just a quick video of it idling)

It RUNS!

on the stock ECU. Having trouble getting it to run on the VEMS. The stock ECU just has a chip my old boss made me that scaled the injectors for the 60lbs. Its good to know what the hardware side of everything was working.

I have gotten a ton done in the last month. While my buddy is building his cage on his syclone on the lift next to me, ive been knocking things out.

Bad news... the timing was off on the motor. I went to do the new vanos and the crank pulley was about 10 degrees off. Good I caught it. Retimed and installed the rebuilt vanos. the old vanos was trashed. Also installed the chase bays vanos oil line. Nice piece!

I also painted the fenders. This is just temporary until I can get all the body work done and the whole car repainted. After all this work I didn't want to be running around in a car with primered fenders. this is the rustoleum regal red ($4 a can!), with some pretty nice rattle can clear from Amazon. This stuff was $20 a can but it has a button on the bottom to release the hardener/catalyst and sprays really nice.I think with some wet sanding and buffing it will look better than the rest of the car.

IMG_0272 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0276 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

Other things finished:

-Removed FMIC to clean the inside in case any metal shavings got in from charge pipe fab. Reinstalled charge pipes with TiAL BOV and clamps.

-Heat wrapped runner 1 on the manifold because its practically touching the compressor outlet

-Made oil drain line with heat wrap

-Mounted boost control solenoid and ran lines (DOT air lines). Ran them through the frame rail to be stealth.

IMG_0273 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

IMG_0274 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

-Installed CP-E AirStation Vaccum manifold and ran lines for FPR, BOV, MAP sensor.

-Mounted FPR and made lines. Sorta upset that the fuel rail fittings end up right by the crank case vent on the valve cover. I had to buy a 3/4" NPT tap for this and now I cant use it. I bought a bulkhead fitting for the valve cover and a plug

IMG_0277 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr

-Installed the vibrant v-band clamps on the exhaust with new threaded rods to replace the low quality ones I had before.

-Managed to break the tow hook recepticle off the front of the car during towing.

-Started the Fan wiring. Should be ECU controlled based on coolant temp.

-threw out the cheap ebay coolant hoses that didnt really fit. Bought a toyota previa coolant hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Cut it in half, did some trimming and it fits like OEM. I cant take credit for this as my co-worker showed it to me, and I think he read it on here.

-Mounted the passenger seat (sorta)

-Figured out my 10 year old battery doesnt hold a charge anymore (who knew)

Still Left to do:

-Finish Fan wiring
                                -Finish EBCS Wiring
                                -Drill and Tap Radiator drain for -6 plug.
                                -Set fuel pressure
                                -Finish Mounting seats
                                -Get the VEMS running
                                -Put the front end together + install front lip
                                -Install Red46 skid plate
                                -Buy and install PC680 battery. Figure if the car is always on a tender, I shouldnt have issues with a smaller battery. Upgrade>replace. Should save 10+lbs.
                                -Put some bulbs in the headlights
                                -Put my new registration sticker on it (figures the old one expires 4 days before I start the motor)
                                -Street Tuning (no dyno access at the moment)

Oh yea, my company bought a new shop this year in SC. After some negotiation, I am moving from MD to SC in the next few months. Big life changes going on. We currently occupy about 15k sq ft. It is all stacked to the ceiling, hard to move everything around, inefficient for manufacturing. The new buildings are 150k sq ft... and there are 2 of them. My hope is to have the e30 ready to drive all the way down there by the time I move.

I also got slightly addicted to circuit racing and I think that is what I want to end up using the car for mostly. I went to summit point last week for an event for work and got a few ride alongs including a 2018 Focus RS LE. For being pretty much stock, it was super impressive and one of the fastest cars on the track that day.

IMG_0266 by mitchlevy7, on Flickr
                                www.cp-e.com

Comment

Working...
                                X