No announcement yet.

Blunttech / Classic Daily S85 V10 E30 M3 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just joined to say absolutely awesome build and very interesting to stay subscribed to, good job.

How is the MSS65 DME backwards engineering going? Are you going to retain the m5 gauge cluster, key, etc??

Comment

Car is looking good Steve!
      sigpic
      1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
      1987 325ic Black Vert
      1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
      1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Steves gray locks can tame any beast

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by Row2k View Post
          just joined to say absolutely awesome build and very interesting to stay subscribed to, good job.

How is the MSS65 DME backwards engineering going? Are you going to retain the m5 gauge cluster, key, etc??
          Thanks man... We had a few hiccups with the DME but I think its nearly done. Its done in such a way that we will run the stock cluster and wont need the key. So it will be stock appearing inside.

Should have it in our hands this week
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
            Thanks man... We had a few hiccups with the DME but I think its nearly done. Its done in such a way that we will run the stock cluster and wont need the key. So it will be stock appearing inside.

Should have it in our hands this week
            that's incredibly exciting and just awesome that you and nando (I assume he's doing a lot of the DME related work) are clearing the way in regards to this swap without relying on extreme measures like the Pectel ECU.

BTW I noticed you cut out the oil level sensor to gain some space. Are you going to build a manual dip stick into the oil pan?

Comment

that's incredibly exciting and just awesome that you and nando (I assume he's doing a lot of the DME related work) are clearing the way in regards to this swap without relying on extreme measures like the Pectel ECU.

BTW I noticed you cut out the oil level sensor to gain some space. Are you going to build a manual dip stick into the oil pan?
              Yes it will get a dip stick added.
              www.classicdaily.net
              1970 m42 swapped 2002
              1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
              https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                Thanks man... We had a few hiccups with the DME but I think its nearly done.
                thats good news jake :D

Comment

I ended up passing it along to Epic who gave Steve an awesome deal including a performance tune (as if the S85 needs it!). I was stuck on the EWS, and I just didn't have the time unfortunately to dedicate to researching it. A Pectel ECU would be a complete waste IMO, the stock DME is super advanced.

can't wait to see it running! I still need to send back your CAN module though.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    I ended up passing it along to Epic who gave Steve an awesome deal including a performance tune (as if the S85 needs it!). I was stuck on the EWS, and I just didn't have the time unfortunately to dedicate to researching it. A Pectel ECU would be a complete waste IMO, the stock DME is super advanced.

We greatly appreciate all the time and effort you put into it Chris. Hopefully you picked up some knowledge along the way too.. Can you send the can module back to Jakes when you get a chance?
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

yeah I've been in touch with Jake, I'll forward it to him tomorrow.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Very very cool.

BTW since I have your attention maybe you know the answer to this as I haven't been able to find out from anyone yet.

The two auxiliary sump pumps on the s85 are supposed to be activated at high lateral G-loads. Does that mean that there is a G-sensor that must be carried along during the swap or is the G-loading assumed based on steering input,speed,etc? I would imagine for those two little pumps to actually do what they need to do this must be controlled or Steve might as well trim them off the oil pan.

Comment

they use the DSC system to activate it (it has the LWS and accelerometer inputs), I think the oil pan is completely custom anyway not sure if they're still using those pumps.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

they use the DSC system to activate it (it has the LWS and accelerometer inputs), I think the oil pan is completely custom anyway not sure if they're still using those pumps.
                            Not surprised to hear the semi-dry sump pumps might go. I have a hard time believing those are entirely justified as the S65 in the M3 seems to do just fine without them. Also KMS seems to ditch them as well in their dry sump setup (built by Dailey Engineering??):

The only justification I can find for BMW in having them in the car is an attempt to get as much oil from the heads into the pan as possible during cornering and not at all the head drainage issue they claimed in their Aftersales Training Brochure. If that really is the case than a nice baffle setup in the pan should suffice and getting rid of these should simplify the swap, create a bunch of space, and save some weight.

Either way looking forward to seeing what the final solution for the oil pan and those pumps will be.

Comment

Sub'd, Awesome Job. Love the brakes!

Comment

any new updates guys........?

Comment

Working...
                                X