No announcement yet.

'86 E30 325i maintenance/restoration/build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I'm really like this car. Looks great!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks guys.

Drove it for a couple of days and then decided to pull it apart again. So much work to do. Real updates will follow soon.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Holy .... wires ...

Dig'n the progress

Comment

So a while back fire extinguishers were on sale and I bought a couple. This led me to pulling out the passenger seat (not sure if I've posted the interior I picked up in here yet, but its from an M3 Evo 2, front seats are heated with armrests ;)), stripping the seat down and fixing everything mechanical in it (it wouldn't slide, recline, leg support adjuster was broken, etc) and welded on a couple of tabs to bolt the extinguisher to. I also mounted an extinguisher in the boot. Hopefully I'll never need them, but if I do, they will be there.

The seat still needs a good cleaning, along with the rest of the interior parts. This will happen soon hopefully.

Anyway with 1 seat out I decided to clean the interior up a little and got a little carried away... soon enough this is what I was looking at

I stripped all of the sound deadening (heat gun makes easy work of this) and found a nice surprise in the floors. Going to be fun repairing this.

With the interior out I figure I may as well sort out the numerous electrical issues with the car (basically nothing worked, and that isn't exaggerating).
          For a while now the only thing working in my cluster was the speedo. No fuel gauge, tacho, temp, odometer, etc. So I pulled it apart, cleaned up some connections and resoldered a bunch of suspicious looking solder joints and now it works. Also replaced the odometer gears, 3 of 4 of which were broken, with some ones from jaycar, and now the odometer seems to work too (not that I have driven it yet).

I had been having problems with the power windows and mirrors as well, so pulled out and remade the door harnesses, removing a bunch of old now unused central locking wires.

Spent a lot of time fixing a bunch of other electrical issues throughout the inside of the car, and pulled out a huge pile of no longer used wires for things like stock central locking, abs, break wear sensors, stereo, etc. Rewired a lot of things, modified the megasquirt ecu to get the tacho output working properly and fan control, made a heated seat wire loom and spliced it in, rewrapped all of the interior harnesses and so on. Not really any pics of this, its just wires, nothing that exciting, I'm sure you can picture it. Many many hours were spent though.
          Wiring sucks.

While I was at sorting out the interior wiring, I got a little more carried away... and decided to cut the 150 or so wires going to the fusebox to relocate it into the car and finish the wire tuck

And thats all I've got for now. Have made more progress, but no photos, so will save that for another time. Slowly getting there. Slowest fire extinguisher install ever.

Comment

wow....getting pretty thorough with this.... good stuff..
            subbd!

Comment

Working...
            X