Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike's 1964 Elva Courier MkIV Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good lord. how can there be so many of those things for sale at the same time? the chick inside the car looks exactly like the car. i thought the pic was from the early 70's but noticed the 2014 plaque on the front. this could be a portlandia skit.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Fun fact: I know the people selling those, and the middle three links are the guy I got the piece for the Lotus from!

Now stop tempting a boy with no money and a lot of automotive enthusiasm! :)
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Can confirm. Saw them.
        Last edited by TurboJake; 05-21-2015, 02:42 AM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

It's been an unbelievably busy season thus far and I've only just gotten some time to work on the Courier again. There are some things I didn't get pictures of, but this will get the idea across for now!

I've been heading to the shop where the car is located after work, usually after the owner is done for the day. The last couple times I went, nobody was there and I couldn't figure out how to get the compressor turned on. That meant instead of grinding the areas I had to fiberglass, I had to file them by hand. Took a while longer but worked alright!

The biggest news first: We have one of the doors fitted! We had to remove a bit in front of it to get the hinge to work, but we'll add it back in once it's settled.

On the other side of the car, I did a bit of smoothing out around the front and rear of the left-hand door.

I reattached the two halves of the area underneath the car's "mouth."

There was a hole after reattaching the upper part of the mouth, but I forgot an "after" picture of that. (It's filled now)

I cleaned up the area between the passenger footwell and the inner fender:

As well as attaching the footwell to the chassis rail.

A super-nifty bar has been added under the front cowl so I glassed one of the feet to the chassis (it's been welded already, just so everyone knows):

I also started to attach the center of the bar to the underside of the cowl:

I sealed up the gap between the rear shelf and the underside of the rear cowl. This part was pretty tough as the glass mat had to wrap from a vertical surface to the underside. I started with a single piece but discovered it was too heavy so I used three smaller pieces with more success.

I cleaned up the rear vertical members of the chassis so I can reattach them to the body:

Then I stuck them together!

On a different note, the transmission tunnel is almost completely done and will ultimately be attached with screws for easy removal!
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Moved to projects, too good for OT!

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Haha, sounds good to me!

Comment

damnit! now i need to subscribe.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

HUGE update, guys! I've been working full days at the shop, then heading to the Courier and working there! Lots of pictures, so hopefully you aren't reading this on a phone with a limited data plan! :D

First off, my sister did her first fiberglass work a couple weeks ago! Her first experience was with the hood. We had to spread it slightly on one side to get it to match the fender:

After a quick tutorial from yours truly, she got to work!

Great results!

I also showed her how to use leftover resin to fill in rough spots, and she smoothed out this bumperette:

Before we left, I prepped a number of areas for future work:

I also got a nice preview of the second inner fender!

A lot of work got done on the rear firewall and interior!

The inner fender is glassed in!

We also made some super-nifty pieces to locate and secure the transmission tunnel!
                  Front:

Rear:

Along with some screws, these will allow us to remove the tunnel quickly and easily to access the transmission!

My next visit, I discovered my car at this orientation:

Time to look at the underside! :D
                  Glassed the back of the rear firewall, under one of the front fenders, and filled some small gaps with the extra:

These final pictures are from today. First of all, it appears we won't be keeping the front bumperette "whiskers:"

I've seen a car without them, and I have to admit it looks quite nice. Hopefully mine will come out as cleanly!

First off, the new gallon of resin was slightly....dried out about four inches in. I had to drill my way in:

That was annoying.

Once I had the resin, I got a number of areas stuck together! Patched the underside of the fenders, the old rollbar holes in the rear, areas around the floor, gaps between the inner and outer fenders, some small gaps in between other panels, and a couple small cracks.

The car is almost ready to come home and then I can make it into a roller!

Comment

Another update, and another evening spent covered in dust and fibers!

I took pictures of most of my target areas before I worked today, so there's a good "before and after" this time.
                    Areas I worked on include...
                    The gaping hole that was once the right-hand whisker:

A small patch on the right inner fender:

Holes in the rear firewall and tail area from the old rollbar:

The left-hand inner rocker:

I also covered a small gap between the rear firewall and the rear of the chassis to prevent rubber and rocks and things from getting trapped in there:

Oh, and we have a roughed-out rollbar sitting in the car! Woo! It'll need a couple more bars obviously but I like it so far!

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of work. Impressive.

Question - is all that epoxy adding a lot of weight to the body, or would it have needed reinforcing even without the damage?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        Wow, that's a lot of work. Impressive.

Question - is all that epoxy adding a lot of weight to the body, or would it have needed reinforcing even without the damage?
                        It is adding quite a bit of weight, unfortunately. I'm sure this will be one of the heavier Elva Couriers out there, but with the amount of damage the car sustained it really needs all this to make it once piece again and make sure it's stiff. Besides, if I never drove a light one I'll never know the difference, right?

....Right?

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                          First off, my sister did her first fiberglass work a couple weeks ago! Her first experience was with the hood.

After a quick tutorial from yours truly, she got to work!
                          more pics of you sister?

Can you send her my way?? Im going to need some help soon fiberglassing a new ass on my gazelle kit car.

;D

Seriously though this tempts me to post the build thread over here too
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            more pics of you sister?

Can you send her my way?? Im going to need some help soon fiberglassing a new ass on my gazelle kit car.

;D

Seriously though this tempts me to post the build thread over here too
                            Move along, sparky.

Since we're technically co-owners of the car, it was good to see her get some time in on it. I'll admit her two pieces of glass mat don't quite match my contributions thus far, but it's close.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                              Move along, sparky.
                              this is R3V, that should've been expected and in fact was overdue ;)

In all seriousness though, its always cool to see the other sex getting involved. Im assuming shes a driver also then if she is a co-owner?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X