Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
    A little progress today!

The only real photo I have is of the shift knob replacement. The new knob is on the left. When did shift knobs this small become $72.00?
    Here:

Welcome to Huntington Beach.
    Where did you buy that knob?

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Update!

Remember this photo?

This photo really pisses me off. The primer spot that covers 1/3 of the driver's side really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't touch the car yesterday, instead I meditated and surfed. There has to be a solution to get rid of this primer and see what is underneath, if anything good at all.

I turned to the internet. I called upon the old school BMW and VW Bus gods for help (VW Bus will be my next project) and they pointed me to this link:

It basically explains the horrors of PO's shitty paint jobs, primer removal techniques, and getting back to the original paint layer.

I searched the site for a few hours and came to the conclusion that I should try "Graffiti Remover" that Home Depot sells. So I got off the couch, hopped in the m3, grabbed a Chipotle burrito, and off to Home Depot I went.

The next morning I woke up an hour earlier than usual (I was excited and stuff) and headed to the warehouse. I immediately started playing with the Graffiti Remover and much to my surprise, it was working!

After about 20 minutes, I had this:

I was freaking out, man.

Kept at it and eventually got to this:

At this point, I was convinced that I no longer want to paint the car. This works for me. I keep the original patina, I get to keep the bullet hole (I'm convinced it was a 45 slug of some kind), and I get to chase waves and chase babes, exactly how I intended.

Here is the money shot:

I'm happy with the outcome so far.

I hooked up with some hard hitting 02 and coupe guys and we're going to dial this car in the coming week or two.

I'm so beyond happy at the way things turned out today.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slow4Door View Post
        What's gonna happen to that wood knob?

Such a great project, this what I want someday to play with. Good work!
        I spoke to Erik at Coupeking (upper ranks of the 02 and e9 Coupe crowd) and he was excited to see the wood knob. I let him take it with him and he's convinced that this is an original knob from a Neu Klasse 1800ti or the likes. Pretty rad piece, but I like both knobs. I love knobs.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
        This thing is looking sicker by the day. Do you think you'll be touching the suspension/wheels? Call me mad, but I think that 02's actually pull off bottlecaps really well. Those and Basketweaves. I think 14 is the magic number for '02's.

BTW that's hilarious. And that Hyatt is super dank - my family would always stay there when they were visiting me down the road at school.
        I'm looking for a set of 13x6 Minilites or if Lorin would ever part with is 1600's Campagnolo wheels (currently on the last page of his 911 build thread), I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I want to keep this car on 13s.

Originally posted by Wild Ride View Post
        Im willing to bet there will be no updates this weekend with the swell of the winter rolling in. Really enjoy your approach towards restoration as mine is similar. Its fun to bring a car back to roadworthy and make big changes in appearance with some elbow grease and tenacity.

When you want to escape the circus and come down to SD hit me up for a surf.
        I had a few business meetings in Long Beach and a bunch of shipping containers were landing at the Port from China so I had to be there for that. I put an hour into the paint this morning and am happy with how it turned out.

Let's surf brah.

Originally posted by JRYE30 View Post
        Where did you buy that knob?
        The black leather knob I purchased locally from a shop by the name of Mesa Performance. That could be the last one they had. The wood knob came with the car.
        Last edited by phreshkid; 02-15-2014, 02:19 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Fack yah. Rustic and wise finish>fresh paint for a car like this.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Nice to see someone else removing crappy paint for original paint. Turned out great. I wonder why there was primer on it in the first place.

Here is my truck I did the same thing but to, but it was the whole truck:

And great idea on getting the under side steam cleaned. Probably makes it way better to work on. The silver grilles and kidneys really set it off too. Looks like the perfect beach beater.
            Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Originally posted by csermonet47 View Post
              Nice to see someone else removing crappy paint for original paint. Turned out great. I wonder why there was primer on it in the first place.

Here is my truck I did the same thing but to, but it was the whole

And great idea on getting the under side steam cleaned. Probably makes it way better to work on. The silver grilles and kidneys really set it off too. Looks like the perfect beach beater.
              Your truck looks good too.

I have enough money in cars. I need to take a step back and let my bank account heal for a month or two.

It hard justifying a car hobby when you have $75k in cars and only 1.5 of them actually run/drive.

But I agree, getting to the original paint is such a satisfying feeling.
              sigpic

Comment

I've never been that into 02's, but for some reason I really like this. Keep up the good work!
                88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

What do you think of these? Spotted them not too long ago, visiting my parents in the Bay.
                  I think the color looks pretty similar..

We've still got love for the square tails by sina.pour, on Flickr

Bmw 2002 in Alameda, CA by sina.pour, on Flickr

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

The first car looks like Atlantik. So does the second car but might be a respray.
                    Either way, 02s look good.

You should buy one.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    What do you think of these? Spotted them not too long ago, visiting my parents in the Bay.
                    I think the color looks pretty similar..

We've still got love for the square tails by sina.pour, on Flickr

Bmw 2002 in Alameda, CA by sina.pour, on Flickr
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                      You should buy one.
                      :(

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Small Updates:

I'm not taking classes this semester. This is partly due to procrastination of choosing classes, rebellion against the current education system, and because school blows. That being said, I am running the business and playing with cars a lot now.

I did an impulse trip to Sacramento where I met with Igor at CaTuned and a few others. I picked up an extra set of 2002 suspension, some tii parts, a good running m10 engine, and a bunch of other new parts.

I've decided that I'm going to have the m10 engine rebuilt into a fun "hot rod" motor for the Polaris car (only because the engine is numbers matching to the car itself). This means that I won't be doing the s14 swap in that one. Maybe this blue one? No idea yet. Still have to figure out the Blue car's engine. I'll probably have an answer in the next week.

No photos of the full truck or parts, but I will have some juicy engine build pictures in the coming weeks.

I also spent a little bit of time assessing the BBS RM wheels I bought a while back. I'm collaborating with Paul Ehrlich at E Wheel Works to finally finish these damn wheels. The centers will be Nogaro Silver with polished lips in square 15x7" et25 specs. Should look good. Still don't know if I will run them or not. I change my mind too often.

Here are photos of wheels/test fitting/playing with paint:

I drove back down to Huntington Beach starting at 5 am and arrive at 12pm.
                        I came home to a package from Bluntastic Voyage, MN.

They look like a fresh set of Coco Mats and those stupid little clips that keep the sun visors from flapping and hanging all over the place. Thanks Steve and Brandon @Blunttech!

Still figuring out the 1600 motor. If anyone has any suggestions or leads on known good 1.6l m10 from the 1600, shoot em my way! I'd love to keep this thing 4 speed with a 4.10 rear end (pretty rare combo).

Til next time,

Ryan
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Holy fuck you really get shit done.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Have we met? I think we must have met, just can't place a picture to a username. Snapped the Malibu shot below following the trip down highway 1 from purchasing the car in Seattle.

As for a decent 1.6L, I think I may have one. Just need to look through the pile (surprised Eric didn't have one around). I'll be out at Cars/Coffee tomorrow morning.
                              Last edited by SkiFree; 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Andrew,

We've spoken many times. You informally coached me on my "hot rod" engine build, right before I bought thousands of dollars of engine build parts through IE.

I also still need to buy those 02 Cunifer brake lines... we might as well make it two sets.

As for a good 1.6l, I'll happily take it pending its condition.

I'm on the FAQ under the tag Danc02.

-Ryan

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                                Have we met? I think we must have met, just can't place a picture to a username. Snapped the Malibu shot below following the trip down highway 1 from purchasing the car in Seattle.

As for a decent 1.6L, I think I may have one. Just need to look through the pile (surprised Eric didn't have one around). I'll be out at Cars/Coffee tomorrow morning.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X