No announcement yet.

1971 BMW 1600 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read thru this whole thing. great work. I love your battery. I have a big crank too. Where did you get yours? I need a battery
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
      Just read thru this whole thing. great work. I love your battery. I have a big crank too. Where did you get yours? I need a battery
      I think I grabbed from Amazon or ebay. It's the 18lb version.

Based on research, the 18lb should be more than enough to power up and sustain relatively modified 02. Hell, I'm pretty sure Marshall runs a little 11lb Braille battery in his m2 racecar.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
        Great progress. I miss my 02 badly. My GF actually cried when I sold it, and now she wants another one. Thats when I knew I should marry her lol
        :)
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
          I just noticed that I mounted the passenger side front wheel on the driver's side.

The details are what will kill me.
          That won't kill you per say....
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Had a nice few moments sticking my nose in while the calipers were getting sorted out. It's nice to be able to drop by and watch the progress. It's going to be a conversation piece, wherever you go. That's the cool thing.
            '88 e28 B9
            '74 e12 525

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzBomb View Post
              Had a nice few moments sticking my nose in while the calipers were getting sorted out. It's nice to be able to drop by and watch the progress. It's going to be a conversation piece, wherever you go. That's the cool thing.
              Thanks again for your help!

Nothing special today, but I did change out the brake master cylinder. Because the front calipers are a single-line system, I had to remove two hardlines from the front.

Removed:

New mc. I have to find the correct size nipple things that go into the master cylinder from the hoses (coming from the reservoir). I wasn't aware that they were different sizes. I'll check realoem to see what an e21 typically ran. Just another obstacle. ANOTHER.

This is the extent of the rust on the car. Believe me, I've searched.

And I picked up the seats today. They look pretty good. I'm hoping the heat will shrink the vinyl fabric a bit more and they will have less creasing around the edges. Even so, they are much better than before. I should probably sell them. Or save them for another 02.

Backside:

Still waiting on parts from IE. They should be here soon. Oh and those headers, wherever they are.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                I have to find the correct size nipple things that go into the master cylinder from the hoses (coming from the reservoir). I wasn't aware that they were different sizes.
                Uh oh. Problem.
                The rubbers on the MS are larger than the feed nipples because that MS used a reservoir that sat directly on top of it.
                You have two options:
                1) Find a connector that uses the same inner diameter hose as the '02 feed lines on one side, and dramatically larger nipples on the MS side (Good luck with that one).
                2) Use an e21 style reservoir. (Done and done).
                :popcorn:

Edit: Or just change the grommets. (Dun and dunner)
                Last edited by BuzzBomb; 05-02-2014, 05:44 PM.
                '88 e28 B9
                '74 e12 525

Comment

nah, you can just get some rubber inserts that are the right size. I encountered this when I converted to E12 master.. you can get them new IIRC.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

If that master came from me it should have already had the smaller ID grommets in there. I've got a pile of them here.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

^ There ya go, option #3. E12, E3, E9 MS grommets, or anything that uses the remote reservoir should be the right size. Why didn't I think of that?
                      '88 e28 B9
                      '74 e12 525

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                        If that master came from me it should have already had the smaller ID grommets in there. I've got a pile of them here.
                        I'm working with Andrew on these grommets now. Thanks for the suggestions!
                        Still no updated via the tracking number you provided. I wonder what happened? I'll check again tomorrow. Very unusual.

Originally posted by BuzzBomb View Post
                        ^ There ya go, option #3. E12, E3, E9 MS grommets, or anything that uses the remote reservoir should be the right size. Why didn't I think of that?
                        You do have a point. Andrew has a fix for this.
                        sigpic

Comment

Minor Update:

Picked up a set of wheels that I'll rework and run on the 1600 for a short time.
                          These are 14x6" et18 Enkei Apache V wheels. I have all four wheels, but only 3 center caps.

Gave them a quick cleaning. I'll do heavy duty cleaning sometime this week with a hot-water pressure washer.

Dirty

Cleaner

The rear markings

All the wheel weights I pulled off. These weights were collected from all four wheels. I'm surprised they are still round. I will likely find a local wheel shop to take them to. Hopefully someone can make them true once again.

I'm not a big fan of gold centers, so I'll paint them silver/grey. Something like this:

If you didn't make the connection, these wheels are basically copies of real BBS E30 Motorsport wheels. I'm not ready to jump on a real set of E30s, and I'm not too keen on 15" wheels for these cars anyways.

Tomorrow I should be able to finish up the front brakes and mount these to get an idea of fitment. I do plan on buying a set of Dunlop Direzza ZII wheels in 185/60r14. They should fit a little better than the 195s.
                          sigpic

Comment

14" is a good size for 2002s. Nice wheels!
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              14" is a good size for 2002s. Nice wheels!

Agreed.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I agree, 14's look right at home on an '02. It's a shame that there aren't great 14" tire options. I like the new wheels, how come you're switching it up? Not feeling the current setup?

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                                --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X