Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My euro 320i/B6 3.5 Alpina Tribute ( Now with turbo power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it to NC May 20-22! http://www.atthevintage.com
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      Take it to NC May 20-22! http://www.atthevintage.com
      Don't think I will be able to make it to the NC vintage this year. Maybe Chicago though..

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Don't think I will be able to make it to the NC vintage this year. Maybe Chicago though..
        sweet. name the date. we'll get a whole E30 posse together.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Went to shop and messed with car a little. First thing first I hit up a buddy and got a another tps,afm, and icv. Then i went to shop and messed with things. First i realized i had an open intake nipple on bottom of i take so i got the line for that all plumbed up and that helped idle alot. Then i put in the new afm and that made it even better. Its now idling at around 12-1300 but now that i got it to idle down. Something really doesn't right. Maybe timing?

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

I guess its progress though cause i got it idled down now to get it to idle smooth.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

i don't recall - you just swapped the motor in right? didn't rebuild it or anything? if true then I doubt it's timing related. I'm not M30 swap experienced though, so grain of salt. Seems like basic engine troubleshooting is in order.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              i don't recall - you just swapped the motor in right? didn't rebuild it or anything? if true then I doubt it's timing related. I'm not M30 swap experienced though, so grain of salt. Seems like basic engine troubleshooting is in order.
              Yea I just did a swap. Didnt mess with timing all I didnt was replace oil pump thats as far as i got to the timing and i made sure or atleast thought i did that it all tension'd back up and didn't jump teeth. I sprayed all the boots with some carb cleaner while the motor was running cause if it had a vacuum leak it should of rev'd up. I will swap out ICV but I dont think thats the issue.

Gonna start with adjusting valves cause I never did that and should of.
              Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 03-25-2016, 10:03 PM.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Well this car is being a bitch. It's got fuel to all 6 cylinders and spark to all 6 but its running like its down a cylinder. I unplugged spark plug wires as it was running and the idle didn't change at all. Then I went to do a compression test and left the battery on to long and drained it so I'm gonna have to charge it and do the test Monday or late tomorrow night. It's looking like either way something in the motor is wrong internally and its Likely gonna need an overhaul. The compression test Monday will confirm. Spark plugs are all black like the car is running rich.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

that's not running right. a valve adjustment is not going to fix that. are all your injectors spraying?
                  cars beep boop

Comment

My euro 320i/B6 3.5 Turbo Alpina Tribute Now in assembly

High idle is lean. Worst problem to have. Fpr or injectors usually cause lean. Check fuel pump, all vacuum lines(yes all of them), throttle gasket, intake gasket, oil cap, PCV hose. Basically everything

My m30 also ran terrible, ended up being a spark plug wire that was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      that's not running right. a valve adjustment is not going to fix that. are all your injectors spraying?
                      I pulled my spark plugs and let the injectors spray fuel into cylinders from what i could tell i had fuel in all cylinders. The injectors were refurbished so they should be alright but could be stuck i will tap them with a wrench and see what happens. My battery died on me cause i left key on so its sitting on charger right now.

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                      High idle is lean. Worst problem to have. Fpr or injectors usually cause lean. Check fuel pump, all vacuum lines(yes all of them), throttle gasket, intake gasket, oil cap, PCV hose. Basically everything

My m30 also ran terrible, ended up being a spark plug wire that was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive checked all spark plugs and they were all getting spark and they are new plug wires. Gonna do a compression test once battery is charged up.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I pulled my spark plugs and let the injectors spray fuel into cylinders from what i could tell i had fuel in all cylinders. The injectors were refurbished so they should be alright but could be stuck i will tap them with a wrench and see what happens. My battery died on me cause i left key on so its sitting on charger right now.

Ive checked all spark plugs and they were all getting spark and they are new plug wires. Gonna do a compression test once battery is charged up.

Sorry correction fpr or injectors usually cause rich.

Mine had good spark, testing it with the plug out and multimeter didn't show it. The plug wire was intermittent. Heat or vibration caused an intermittent misfire at any rpm. I got a nice looking set at the junkyard and swapped out the cables.
                        I'm not a wizard when it comes to the m30 but I read a lot of posts about misfires caused by plug wires. They are tough to fix because most people won't shell out the cash for a set of plug wires on a hunch.

I'm betting it's a vacuum leak though. So many places that could leak, even the oil cap.

Comment

Sorry correction fpr or injectors usually cause rich.

Mine had good spark, testing it with the plug out and multimeter didn't show it. The plug wire was intermittent. Heat or vibration caused an intermittent misfire at any rpm. I got a nice looking set at the junkyard and swapped out the cables.
                          I'm not a wizard when it comes to the m30 but I read a lot of posts about misfires caused by plug wires. They are tough to fix because most people won't shell out the cash for a set of plug wires on a hunch.

I'm betting it's a vacuum leak though. So many places that could leak, even the oil cap.

I would think mine would be fine since they are brand new. Its is rich.

Thats cyl 1 spark plug and they all looked like that.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I would think mine would be fine since they are brand new. Its is rich.

Thats cyl 1 spark plug and they all looked like that.

Well I hope the compression test shows good numbers :P
                            Maybe check fuel pressure too if you haven't already.
                            Plugs could be black if the engine has seen a lot of cold starts but not much running at operating temp

Comment

Well I hope the compression test shows good numbers :P
                              Maybe check fuel pressure too if you haven't already.
                              Plugs could be black if the engine has seen a lot of cold starts but not much running at operating temp

Thats what im hoping is the reason they are black cause its only gotten to op temp 2 times. I will take my fuel pressure tester out to the shop and check it. Really hope i don't have to rebuild the head or motor.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Thats what im hoping is the reason they are black cause its only gotten to op temp 2 times. I will take my fuel pressure tester out to the shop and check it. Really hope i don't have to rebuild the head or motor.

Yep my buddies 911 only ever sees cold starts every month or so just to run the engine. Granted it runs pretty rich on cold starts and backfires tons, but the plugs are very black despite the car running really well when it's warmed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X