No announcement yet.

'88 325is M30 street car-->S54 -->S50 -->M54 Enduro Race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The spacer accounts for the thickness of one additional clutch/wear plate, and you machine for the 2nd.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

yeah total preload/stack height. Glad david helped yoiu.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

So how did the diff work out at autocross?

Comment

Hard to tell, I only have Continental ST slicks for the car right now, and it was 45 degree with no sun. Never got them even remotely warm so I had zero grip and no confidence. I was also really disappointed with my driving after watching the video, I haven't done much autocrossing in the last two years. The car was not pushy though, which is what I was worried about with the diff. I also think the 3.23 is too tall, I was barely getting over the stock rev limiter

Here is a video
          Last edited by Jb325is; 12-09-2014, 06:40 AM.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Nah man still looked pretty good. Don't get down over the first event with a new set up especially with those conditions and those tires. Reviewing video always makes it seem slower. The right tire is going to make a world of difference. I really wish i hadn't seen that video. Car sounds mean as hell and now i want s54 power.

How are you liking that brake set up aside from being boosterless?
            Last edited by tinkerputzer; 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

That looked FAST! Where I've ran we don't go that fast I don't think, Maybe the GT3s do but my m42 doesn't go that fast!

I keep going back and forth on LS vs s54 as my dream swap! THAT NOISE!!!
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

That was slow to you? Is this with the old exhaust?
                ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                  I also think the 3.23 is too tall, I was barely getting over the stock rev limiter

I've got a 3.46 lsd on the shelf if you want to try it for research purposes.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The car was fast, but I was not. I was very familiar and comfortable with the car in it's previous configuration and I definitely do not have that feeling anymore. I was not able to get back to gas and carry and speed anywhere. Just need more seat time

The brakes are ok, still not confidence inspiring but they were better than I thought they would be. Especially for not being warm and having stock pads in the rear. I still need to make some bias changes when I get race pads in the back and mess with the pedal adjustment a little bit.

One thing that was very obvious in the video is I need a steering rack. The corrections that seem minor and don't really register as they are happening are pretty big on video. What is the best option on a rebuilt z3 1.9 rack? I can't see myself spending $500 on one from Rack Doctor, anyone have any suggestions?

Lorin, what diff is it? I have this thing all set up with the 4 clutch now, so it would be a PITA to change gears again. I might just try to work with this for a while. Hopefully with a remote tune from TTFS I can smooth out the power delivery, it's pretty peaky right now
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                      The spacer is taken out of the bottom of the stack as well. Lower right in this pic.
                      https://flic.kr/p/pauWJZ
                      Cool. Thanks for the photo!

Comment

You can grab a new z3 1.9 rack from a company called aae. New, so no core needed which is nice. Mine is certainly quick. Approx 2.7 turns lock to lock just as advertised.

They only thing is mine felt to light at speed and super heavy when I was still. An alignment and tightening the preload on the rack fixed it. Rockauto used to carry them but not anymore.
                        Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Lorin, what diff is it? I have this thing all set up with the 4 clutch now, so it would be a PITA to change gears again.

It's a stock LSD out of a 7 series with like 90k on it. I want to keep the diff, but you are welcome to borrow it to see if it is the ratio you would like to run.

Honestly, it sounds like you made so many changes to the car that it would probably be best to get used to all the new aspects with seat time first. What feels like the wrong ratio now might feel great in a few months.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

^I concur. You even said it yourself that you're struggling to get on the power as early as you need to. I'd say a combination of better conditions, setup adjustments, and driving adjustments may prove the current gearing to be just fine.
                            75' M42 Powered 2002
                            AW 318is

Comment

One thing that was very obvious in the video is I need a steering rack. The corrections that seem minor and don't really register as they are happening are pretty big on video. What is the best option on a rebuilt z3 1.9 rack? I can't see myself spending $500 on one from Rack Doctor, anyone have any suggestions?
                              I noticed that too. I can't imagine autocrossing a stock rack anymore.

I didn't go with this one because i found it after the fact. May want to verify it's 2.7LTL.

BMW Z3 1996 - 2002 Excluding 3.2L. Complete Power Steering Rack and Pinion Assembly. 1x Complete Power Steering Rack and Pinion Assembly - 25460. Our Products are manufactured in ISO 9000 / 9001 / 9002 certified facilities.

Comment

Just get a z3 1.9 rack off eBay and rebuild it yourself if it even needs it. Mine was like 135 shipped from one of those bulk parts sellers and the guy even put the vin of the car it was from.
                                Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Working...
                                X