No announcement yet.

Willy's 72' 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, that sucks, doesn't look like it was quite that hard of a hit, but old cars tend to be pretty flimsy. I think I'd still get a quote though, since your chassis is pretty rough. Long term, it might still be easier/cheaper. Lots of little dents and rust spots to be dealt with, and the time and effort to fix each one will add up fast.

Comment

Oh this is too sweet, I love 2002's.
      sigpic

'88 325is-daily
      '89 325is-project
      '84 633csi-its there
      '00 528i-daily (wrecked)
      '01 525i- sold

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        Ah, that sucks, doesn't look like it was quite that hard of a hit, but old cars tend to be pretty flimsy. I think I'd still get a quote though, since your chassis is pretty rough. Long term, it might still be easier/cheaper. Lots of little dents and rust spots to be dealt with, and the time and effort to fix each one will add up fast.
        I feel like it would be fairly expensive. Not shown in the picture is the driver's side door pushed back a few inches and unable to close. In reality the orange car looks rough but would need probably as much work as the blue one, but it's work that I can do myself.
        instagram

Comment

Oh, didn't realize it was that bad. Yeah, might be better off as a parts car.

Comment

Sub'd to see the seat and wheels make in onto the car.
            View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Those seats will look great in that car, esp if you leave it with the great patina it has

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
              Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Took a picture with the front bumper

Got some tires mounted

Got some shop space

Removed the corroded shut gland nuts

Removed the old, blown shocks

Comparing the new VW Rabbit Bilsteins to the stock KYBs

Will continue work today.
                instagram

Comment

I started today by cutting off the stock perch

then cutaway 2" from the strut tube

Comparison between stock and new setup

Grind and weld

Mounted new brake rotors and bolted everything back together

At full droop

Finally

Rears in a week when the springs come in

instagram

Comment

YESSSSSSSSSS. Are those 15" alpinas with the low offsets?

Are you running Bilstein Sport or HD rabbit inserts? What are the spring rates?
                    world renown Harry Potter expert
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                      YESSSSSSSSSS. Are those 15" alpinas with the low offsets?

Are you running Bilstein Sport or HD rabbit inserts? What are the spring rates?
                      They are the Heyking O.Z. alpina style wheels for the E21, 15x7 et12. VW Rabbit Bilstein Sports. Spring rates are 400 lbs in front, no idea what brand. The rears will be the 350 lbs race springs from Ireland Engineering.
                      instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Big Willy View Post
                        They are the Heyking O.Z. alpina style wheels for the E21, 15x7 et12. VW Rabbit Bilstein Sports. Spring rates are 400 lbs in front, no idea what brand. The rears will be the 350 lbs race springs from Ireland Engineering.
                        Holy balls, dude. Have you ever ridden in an 02 with 400lb/350lb springs? It's not pretty. That's full race-car spec.

I ran 275lb/whatever IE Stage 2 rears are and it was noticibly stiff, but really manageable.

I even have a set of 300lb 7" front eibach springs that I'll send your way if you want to try them.

It's not an issue of if you can handle that stiff, it's a question of how long you want to endure that level of stiffness.

But I like the direction. A lot.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                          Holy balls, dude. Have you ever ridden in an 02 with 400lb/350lb springs? It's not pretty. That's full race-car spec.

I ran 275lb/whatever IE Stage 2 rears are and it was noticibly stiff, but really manageable.

I even have a set of 300lb 7" front eibach springs that I'll send your way if you want to try them.

It's not an issue of if you can handle that stiff, it's a question of how long you want to endure that level of stiffness.

But I like the direction. A lot.
                          I'll have to drive it around some and see how it feels then. My E30 has 450/650 F/R and I've been able to tolerate that stiffness for the past 4 years, is that comparable to a 400/350 set up on a 2002, or should I quite while I'm a head and get softer springs. It's not going to be a track car, but not an every day to work driver either.
                          instagram

Comment

I'd say resume your original plan and see what happens/how you like it.

But if you want to go with a different set of springs, I'll throw the 300# springs you way.
                            sigpic

Comment

Lowered the rear, waiting for camber plates for the front to fix the positive camber and replace the cracking top hats.

It's amazing how much a car can change with a simple ride height adjustment.
                              instagram

Comment

lookin goooood
                                sigpic
                                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                                X