#2 of 3 E30 Builds: 1990 325is RustRocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 of 3 E30 Builds: 1990 325is RustRocket

Welcome to the build thread for this 1990 BMW 325is.

Follow us as we share three different E30 builds that will be coming out of our shop - it's gonna be a lot of fun!

1 of 3: 1991 325i M20 Power Turbo Drag Car - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=322517
    2 of 3: This 1990 325is "RustRocket" Restore
    3 of 3: 1987 325is Spec-E30 Car (which will most likely be up for sale)

I picked up this 1990 325is to replace my daily driven '87 325is which will be transformed into a Spec e30 car. The '87 currently has an s50 swap, 5-lug, + other goodies - which will all have to go during the Spec build. I needed a new e30 to transfer all of these parts to, and this Alpine White 1990 325is seemed like the perfect candidate. However, the amount of rust in the rear portion of the vehicle is more than I've had to deal with in the past. This will certainly be an interesting project, so stick around as we return this little coupe to its former glory - From Rust to Riches!! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

I picked up this e30 from CT. I was a little wary about taking on a project that required so much sheet metal repair, but after talking to my fabricator and checking out some of the prices for OEM BMW panels, I felt a little bit more comfortable. This 325is coupe showed rust in the usual problem areas - inside trunk by the battery box and jack mount, tail panel, license plate lamp area, lower portion of the front fenders - and then some more rust on top of that!

There had also been a previous repair in the driver's side wheel house - what looks like a shock mount repair. We will most likely be replacing the entire wheelhouse to fix this correctly.

Nope - Ugly - No good - Do not like.

Among all this rust there is some good news; the vehicle appears to have no collision damage and the front end has only very little surface rust. All of the areas that really matter (frame, rockers, etc) show little to no rust. Also, from all the paperwork and receipts I received with the car, it appears to have been meticulously maintained with OEM BMW or equivalent parts.

I'll post a few pictures so you can get an idea of what this project will entail.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that the m20b25 barely ran. The seller told me that the cam was wiped out but it sounds more like a bad connecting rod knock. We will tear it down and hopefully be able to refresh the head and reuse the block.

Well, there you have it. Can't wait to really dig into this thing and share what we find. Stay tuned...

Cant wait to see the progress as im dealing with the same myself, lots of rust!
    2 Cars for the price of one!
    Sound System Buy E30 Audio Sale
    KW Coilover Sale KW Sale
    Flywheel Groupbuy AASCO
    Wheel GroupbuyWork rims

http://www.stegaperformance.com
    Stega Performance and Sound
    We have all your audio/video, and performance needs
    Jay
    Stega Performance and Sound INC
    Sales Manager
    Jay
    Phone 848-459-8370
    stegaperformance@gmail.com

Comment

So, not much progress on the build other than trying to order some of the sheet metal from BMW. The tail panel and inner wheelhouse are both unavailable until the end of the year, but i WILL NOT settle for aftermarket body panels.

We have been very, very busy with other projects at the shop so unfortunately the bimmers get pushed to the side. You can see what we've been up to on our Facebook page, or through our website at newdevelopmentfabrication.com.

Comment

Oh man...looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you...never seen an e30 so bad...

Gotta love CA. haha.
        (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
        1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Shit, that's a lot of rust.

Comment

Thank god we don't have rust like that on this side of the country. Best of luck in your endeavors

Comment

Oh my goodness. I'd abandon ship lol.

GL

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Interesting..

Good luck :0
                IG: @_j.wn

Comment

looks just like my 86 325es, same exact rust areas lol

good luck with her, i wish i would have put the time in and properly repaired mine when I had it.

Comment

East coast rust is no joke, baby!

Comment

I can't believe I'm updating this thread, but here it is. Most of the body pieces I had ordered from my local BMW dealership have finally come in. I was beginning to think they'd never show up.

Also picked up the lower grille insert and a map light mirror.

I'm actually very excited about this because it makes me feel better about getting this project underway.

Stay tuned for updates in another decade or so!

Comment

LOL! Can't wait to see more...eventually!
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                        #teamross
                        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Wow, I hope you are hungry as this looks like a big bite.

Sub'd

Comment

This makes my rusty '88is look good, good luck to you.
                            sigpic

'88 325is-daily
                            '89 325is-project
                            '84 633csi-its there
                            '00 528i-daily (wrecked)
                            '01 525i- sold

Comment

Working...
                            X