No announcement yet.

KI4UJO's 24v Build and M42 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, basically. Put a small amount of glue on it if it makes you comfortable. (Mine currently fits fine without it).

On a side note, I did not get the motor in today due to replacing the rear alternator bearing. It had made noise for a couple of months, and I figured I should replace it while I had the motor out.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Well, it died again.

This still makes no sense to me. I was basically driving down a small two lane road when it shut off. It had spark and fuel. Compression test showed (in order from 1-6) 90-95-90-90-50-140. All of the cylinders were fine when I checked compression before performing the swap. I took it apart and found nothing other than heavy carbonizing on the exhaust valves. I used some lapping compound and appear to have a good seal on each valve. Since I had it apart, I did valve stem seals as well, since the old ones were rather dried out.
      So, basically, this is the car as of now:

As for the steering wheel, I am having it refinished by stitched. Others have given good reviews about his work, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
      Also, I had noticed that the brake pedal seemed to have no vacuum assist prior to the motor dying, so a new booster setup was in order. I used: e32 booster
      e34 master
      e32 v8 remote brake reservoir
      80s ranger clutch reservoir

Lastly, a photo of the KDC-X998 installed (before someone asks, I'm an amateur radio operator, therefore explaining the other radio below the HVAC panel) :

I'll begin to put it back together this weekend and go from there. Maybe this time I'll get to drive it for more than 3 weeks before it breaks down again.

Comment

Pretty cool, sucks that the engine has to get overhauled.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that when I dropped the motor in last year. I now have photos of the finished wheel from stitched:

Comment

This isn't going well. I put it back together enough to do a compression test, and got some less than encouraging results. From 1-6. 140-150-140-145-90-95. These were dry. I decided to pour some marvel mystery oil in the last 2 cylinders - and it came back out. On a good note, I now know why it lost compression in the first place. So, I decided to fix this problem by adding VANOS! I managed to pull everything that I needed off of a wrecked e34 (except for the e36 harness). However, I'll be sending the head off anyway (needless to say, I didn't send the old one off to begin with, and am assuming that it is beyond the .3mm that it can be machined if oil was pouring back out. Besides, it's a good excuse for an upgrade)

Photo dump time. Also, I cleaned my garage.

My finished wheel, I am very happy with it. Would gladly recommend stitched's services to anyone.

VANOS head

Everything else (still need a DME, CPS, and trigger wheel)

Finally, the failed head. As for why I didn't send off the original head, it is because I never really got the car hot. Honestly, I don't know how it warped. I just know that it did.

Last edited by KI4UJO; 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Finally, we're on the right track. The replacement head is now back from the machine shop and is awaiting reassembly. As noted earlier, I am adding VANOS (I just rebuilt the VANOS unit earlier today). While I have it apart, I decided to clean up the bay. It was functional before, but very ugly. Basically, I have converted to a late-e30 overflow tank, reinstalled the behind-the-headlight covers, reinstalled the washer tank, and will be lengthening/trimming the VANOS harness in order to get a relatively clean bay (Well, as clean as I can get without shaving it). In the next few days, I'll be getting the necessary parts in order to reassemble it.

Enjoy these horrible phone photos

Comment

Well, it turns out that my M50 isn't worth fixing. After assembling it with the freshly machined VANOS head, it ran for around a minute... and then started puffing white smoke. Pulled the dipstick and found a milky mess. At that point, I bought an M52. Also, I decided to make the core support removable for a much easier install.

Management-wise, I will be staying OBD2. Kassel Performance flashed my MS41 unit. Unfortunately, the only usable harness that I could find locally is an e36 auto harness, so there will be some extra wires to remove.

Photo dump time:

e36 center console retrofit

Red Needle Mod:

Lastly, I rebuilt the internals of the car's old shift knob and threw it back on.

I'm hoping to have the M52 going in about a week.

Comment

I'm making slow progress, but regular updates should happen now. After doing a suspension refresh on my current DD, I;m now back on this. Today, I went ahead and built my m50 manifold swap hose. Myself, I chose to keep the oil separator.

Next up is wiring the motor, followed by installation of the intake.

Comment

IT FINALLY RAN PROPERLY!!

Thanks to Kevin from the e30 shop/dasgerman/whatever they're calling it now. I fought it for the last two months, and just needed someone else's input. Turns out, my catalytic converter is somehow stopped up. I'll be building a new dual exhaust this weekend, and will finally get to drive it for the first time since January.

Bottom line, check the not-so-obvious stuff as well. My cat was only a year old, so I figured that would never be a problem.

Comment

Well, I had some major problems since the last update. Basically, something shorted and killed the DME and engine harness. I have an OBD1 Harness & 413, so I'll be using it once I get the fault in the body side sorted.

Aside from that.....

I can finally shelve the diving boards.

IMG_4646 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Oh, and I bought something else yesterday (well, I technically co-own it, but I'm buying the other guy out once my e39 sells).

1989 750il. Set in a field for 5 years, so it needs a complete fuel system overhaul. Also needs the rear SLS repaired along with front shocks. Has a clean interior though.

IMG_4653 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4664 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Awesome e30!
                        Love the old Vettes too, I have a 90 myself.
                        Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                        '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                        Check us out
                        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

My current DD is an 87 vette, actually.

IMG_4573 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4578 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4575 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Also, a few e30 photos from a few months ago.

IMG_4574 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4576 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4611 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4612 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4613 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4614 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Before the OBD2 Harness committed suicide

IMG_4622 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4625 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4626 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4624 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4627 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

No photos of it, but I picked up an e36 M3 catback for $23 off a 325 at a pull a part.
                          BTW, the next update is going to be a big one...
                          Last edited by KI4UJO; 01-07-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Would you sell the 750il wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by GCAutosports View Post
                              Would you sell the 750il wheels?
                              PM'd

Comment

Things are happening.

_MG_4926 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_4928 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4921_01 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_4928_01 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Also, I'm installing Bilsteins tomorrow, adding a rear swaybar, and fitting a larger front bar.

Lastly, thanks to sgtskid, I now have some patch panels to expedite the rust repair, move the battery to the trunk, an iS spoiler, along with a few other parts.
                                Last edited by KI4UJO; 01-09-2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X