Steezmode's E30 Funhaus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steezmode's E30 Funhaus

Well Im not much for writing build threads n stuff, and I forget to take pics while Im working, but would like to have a way to look back on all this in the future, so maybe this will force me to. Also would like to share knowledge as I gain it. So lets let this thing rip.

Im starting this a decent way into owning E30s so heres some background up till now:
    -Was big into subarus. Had an 18G 2.0L WRX, great for pissing off many STi/EVO owners with 335/280 at the wheels.
    -Was getting shit fuel mileage and commuting to work a lot in that car, stacking miles on it was killing me, so I wanted something "cheap"/fun to take a load off this car.
    -Bought first E30, dumped money into it, started having more fun that car than the subaru and the WRX was due for 100k service/paint was bubbling/about to get very expensive, so I sold the WRX.
    -Bought another e30 in May 2014, OBD1 M52/G320 swapped already and zero rust for a steal. Now Im sliding wallet first down the slippery slope of owning and modifying these cars. There are worse ways to go broke.
    -Im a Mechanical engineer and I cant leave things well enough alone while they work. Got a penchant for impractical vehicles despite what my profession might suggest. Love a contrast between incredibly engineered and beautifully finished parts, and cheap go-fast solutions (that work). I think my personal work is usually embodied by that sentiment.

Now on to the E30 pics/content - This is when I bought the first E30 in Dec 2012, an '87 325is, schwarz on cardinal. My enthusiasm to get one of these led me to overpaying on it a bit but it looked real clean for a New England car and the owner gave me 6k in receipts for work since 2010 on it. Still needed a lot but Im a handy dude so I bought it. This is it, in all its divingboard/mobtint/pinstriped glory:

With pops' E60

One of the first things I needed to do was replace the exhaust to get it inspected since it was suuuper rusted out. The E30 gods were smiling on me and I scored a B&B Tri-Flo for $300 in incredible shape off craigslist. It drones at some points which sucks but sounds great when you get that thing rippin over 4500-5000RPM

I go to the RMV to renew my license. Old timer backs into me in slow motion while I lay on the horn and frantically try to back up. He was there to renew his license too...irony.

Old timer pays me, E30 becomes cooler. Smoked ellipsoids, euro grills, found a schwarz hood for $100, no core support damage....all is well.

Busted out the orbital and did my 1-2 thang on the paint. Came out decent, paints cracked in some places but most of the scratches are gone. Pinstripe also removed with minimal ill effect a la razorblade.

Comparison of a panel before and during buffing.

Peeled the tint, bought what I thought was an iS spoiler from what the seller told me, dont know what it really is but isnt the same as the one I removed. Fit kind of crappy but the old one was lifted up and bent on one side so it was an improvement. SEM'd that sucker and put it on. New tails also. Beginning to dig how the car looks, but still too high and handling is somewhat dumptruck-like.

At this point I buckled and decide I will fully sort the car out. Was avoiding spending big money but went on a spree here, I think I was driving it a lot more than the past owner and a lot of issues started cropping up. I had leaking power steering, leaking oilpan, somewhat leaky seals at the rear of the tranny, one brake caliper was seized up, so I decided Id take it off the road for a little while and knock it all out. Ended up needing all new (remanned) calipers since I couldnt get the pistons out of any of them to redo the boots. Also went with drilled rotors and some nice pads.

Since I needed to get at the oilpan and the steering rack was leaking and looked pretty beat, so I decided to just replace it. One of the few things I really disliked about this car was the crappy steering ratio. Opposite lock was a frantic flail of the arms if the car ever lost traction. Found a non-m Z3 rack with 50k miles and threw it in with new E36 TREs and an IE poly steering coupler. The improvement is incredible, and I was concerned it would be too agressive but Ive never loved the way another car steered more. Found out after the fact that the pump leaks too since I kept PS with this rack but not terribly, so I left it.

Hondabond-ed the oilpan and its seemed to hold up well. At this point I also replaced the blown out motor mounts and threw a Red46 skidplate on (awesome quality) since I was also going to lower the car. The shocks were all blown out so I got some used Bilstein sports and coupled them with some H&R Races. Again I was concerned this would be too aggressive but tried it and it is amazing. Definitely a little harsh, but very planted and almost never bottoms out. E30s should come with this suspension. Could still use some swaybars however.

With all this going on I was under the car for quite a while and was poking around around. Realized this car had cancer at the front jack points and bad, metal is flaking off in my hands all over the place. This made me sad. I had been seeing the carpet get pretty wet when I drove in the rain (understandably so) and pulled the entire thing only to find the rust was worse than I imagined. I hit a real crossroads here and considered bailing on the car but having done all the work I was in the midst of, I did it right and cut crap metal out, welded new metal in, and POR-15'd the whole floor. Powerwashed carpet and reinstalled it which led to feeling like a boss for a while.

This is after I ripped all the flaky crap out from the jackpoint. Looked and felt somewhat solid until I started yanking around on it, it all just ripped apart. I felt like a total moron having not discovered this sooner but I now know every nook and cranny E30s rust in for future reference :'(

The repairs...keep in mind I had never done this before and just went for it. Im fortunate to have a MIG at my disposal or Id have been screwed. I did overlap the metal so I could weld it where ideally it would be butted up, but I had a hell of a time getting it to fit that way/ I seam sealed both sides after I was done, so I think itll work for a decent amount of time.

This is just to get the ball rolling. Id like to do this in chronological order so Ive got to dig some stuff up. More to come...
    Last edited by low_&_loud; 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM.
    sigpic
    '89 Delphin/Cardinal OBD1 M52 325i
    '87 Schwarz/Cardinal 325is - SOLD

IG: @steezmode

Took some time off from E30s - a lot happened but I decided I still want to use this thread to keep track of my cars' progress. Hoping to be more diligent about it. The black E30 is gone as of last year, the rust was just too much for me to keep up with, and fixing rust is not what I want to do for fun. Shame because it drove great and I really loved the car - it was a pretty baller package being a fully optioned first-year iS, in an awesome color combo. New owner definitely got a deal with all the parts I threw at it by the time I sold it. Here it is before I let it go (kept the wheels - last pic is as-sold...still looked pretty nice):

This popped up on CL for a price I couldnt resist and was the catalyst for calling it quits on the black car:

Looked like crap on the surface since the paint is sun damaged to hell and the ad was brief, which is why I think it lasted so long on CL, but I went and saw it and found it was a Florida car (significantly less rust than mine, almost none at all), M52 swapped and converted to OBD1 and 'hotcammed' (M50 intake cam used on exhaust side, degreed by hand - plenty of debate whether this is a good idea or not but it goes like hell in mine), refreshed bottom end and built with boost in mind. Totally gutted (unfortunately, as I would like SOME creature comforts in a street car). ZF320 Tranny and a 5 series 2.93 LSD out back. Guy I bought it from was a BMW mechanic and really knew his stuff - he was also an awesome dude overall and gave me the full backstory on how he did the swap and what parts he used, but I would still put this into the quick-and-dirty swap category. Gaskets are missing in the firewall, wiring somewhat hacked, things ziptied in place, no dipstick, etc...not a lot of attention paid to details but damn it if the car doesnt put a smile on my face whenever I drive it. Personally I need those details sorted out, and definitely want the car water-tight, but with the majority of the legwork on the swap done, I am much happier with this car. Id eventually like to boost it and use it as a weekend fun/occasional hillclimb and trackday car, but for now I will focus on getting the reliability and cleanliness up to par, then take handling and power modifications from there.

Brief overlap while I owned both, waiting for the '87 to sell:

Onward to more recent developments...
    Last edited by low_&_loud; 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Following on from my updated post above...At this point I just did a few things, somewhat impulsively after getting the car to suit my tastes, as well as fix glaring issues. One was the sunroof panel had holes rusted thru it since the crank was broken and it stuck in place with water sitting under it, and the drains were clogged. I was lucky enough to buy a new panel in delphin (though it doesnt match my faded-ass paint) and a crank, so the car could at least sit outside without leaking now.

The interior was pretty hurtin so I had to make some moves:

Scooped up a MOMO Monte Carlo wheel, carpet, HVAC assembly, and pieced together a used cardinal interior (I had kept my red doorcards from the black car figuring I wouldnt find any) in preparation for getting a decent interior together:

Found a 535is M-Tech spoiler and threw that on. It pained me to drill holes in the trunk but I love the look. For others mounting one on a lid with no holes in it - templates/measurements are definitely necessary for getting the location right!

I also threw my black XXRs on (16x8 on 225/45/16 Falkens) since I dig the look. These will not be the final wheels but I didnt think the 17" XXRs I got the car with looked right. (17x7.5 up front, not sure about the tires, and 17x9 on 245/40?/17 Contisports in the rear for reference)

I also painted all the window trim sometime around here since that really stood out as making the car look like crap. Did this on both cars and while very time consuming and labor intensive to do it right (sanding/scuffing EVERYTHING, mostly without removal since Ill break it), it makes a huge difference and comes out right. I used adhesion promoter, primer and SEM trim black with excellent results. Very uniform OEM quality result with good durability, and holds up well over time.

I then lowered the rear, using the IE springs the PO gave me (already had fronts installed, rears were Eibachs to rake the car a bit and fit the wheels he was running). Also picked up some Bilstein sports since their damping rates are a better match for these springs than the Bilstein HDs the PO had installed. The front still needs to come down in my opinion - probably using e90 tophats until I get coilovers eventually, but it handles decent for now - needs swaybars as I mentioned with a similar suspension in the black car.

Not long after this, the car went into storage for the winter...
      Last edited by low_&_loud; 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Over the winter and into spring and summer, I entertained some of my other two wheeled vices...Street legal WR426 supermoto conversion which I had been working on for some time and finally wrapped up:

Puch Magnum project Im working on, with 70cc reed inducted engine, needle bearing race crank, mikuni VM20, huge chambered pipe and some dark magic porting work I did, among other things. Fun little bike for the city which will hit around 55 (more if geared for top end) - laugh all you want this bike is a riot:

Last edited by low_&_loud; 10-01-2015, 07:16 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

While everything in the last post happened, the E30 sat by the wayside, since it had developed a fuel leak under the intake manifold. I can only have one car at my apartment, and commuting to work in this was not possible as-is (pretty bad as you can see):

The car sat at my parents' place an hour and a half away, and I didnt miss driving it too much as the summer got hotter, and work got busier, as much as I hate admitting it. Recently I found myself wishing I could drive it, and had some time to tackle it, so I finally pulled the intake manifold. Luckily it was just a pinhole in the soft fuel line at the back of the fuel rail.

Cracked intake elbow - probably not helping anything:

Having dug this far into it however, I decided it was time to fix some other nagging issues in the area, like the non-operational windshield wipers, leaky valve cover vent/grime covered head, and the complete lack of HVAC (just a gaping hole in the bulkhead behind the firewall panel).

The wiper fuse was blown leading me to believe the motor was either shot, or there was some binding/friction in the linkage that made the motor draw too much amperage. I followed the e30zone guide on cleaning and re-greasing the motor (http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...n_Wiper_faults), replaced and greased the "damper rings" or rubber seals where the wiper shafts protrude through the cowl, and shot some lithium grease on all the linkage pivots since I REALLY did not want to remove it based on what I read about the misery that comes with it. This, along with replacing the fuse of course, gave me working wipers again! Good as new.

I also decided since the HVAC box was out of the car, I would clean it all up and replace all the crumbling degraded foam seals with new closed-cell foam tape and OEM gaskets. This was a pain in the ass to be honest, but I think will be worth it when Im not blowing foam crumbs and old dirt in my face when the fan is on. Got it all installed and am just tackling plumbing the heater core into the coolant lines now.

Last edited by low_&_loud; 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

The car looks great! Did you sell the black e30? I would turn that into a snow monster of sorts. Anyways love the late model delphin on cardinal, looks rad!

Keep up with the updates!
            Our RestoMod Diary!

El Mustache De La Resistance!

Comment

This was a nice read.
              I'm all about that Puch project.

Comment

Thanks guys - the black e30 sold last summer - Ill keep the updates on the 24v car rolling in!

Trapical - Ill be sure to include some more of it. It is one of my guilty pleasures :devil:
                Last edited by low_&_loud; 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I have functional heat and ventilation! What a project that was - I couldnt tell if my coolant was bled because I was only getting a small amount of heat out the vents. I realized since I had removed the AC evaporator and the cover, the HVAC box had a huge hole for air to escape instead of being forced through the heater core. My solution was to cut the evaporator cover so it was flat and epoxy a polycarbonate sheet over it to seal it up. Works for now, just glad to have heat. Id like to have AC someday and will address this when that day comes.

Got the interior back together and installed a used carpet I had bought a while back. It isnt in great shape - ripped in a few spots, mostly hidden by the console and stained in spots, but it does the job for now. I am amazed how much this quiets the ride down inside the car - I never drove this car with a carpet in it and its pretty raw, especially with the raspy headers and the cam its running.

I tried to get the cardinal driver seat swapped in (which I bought with no rails on it) and found the rails from my comfort seat dont swap over, despite what Ive been told by others multiple times. I'm here to say definitively this is not [always] the case - there are pins that connect the seat frame to the rail and if these are not the same size, as is the case between mine, you cannot attach them.

Ill either cut and weld the arms off my comfort seat onto the sport seat, or just buy a beat up sport seat to snag rails off of that hopefully is the same pin size, but for now I have to continue to use the crappy comfort seat...

While I had the car in the garage, I also threw the euro bumper trim and smoked directionals on that I ahd bought a while ago. Subtle change but I love how clean it looks.

I didnt take a picture, but I also threw a KAMotors intake on, which looks like a nice product. Not overly impressed with the mounting scheme, but the intake itself is pretty nice. I had some issues fitting it because I have an oversized aftermarket radiator which cuts into the space available for the filter canister, but other than that its a huge improvement from the crappy autozone "filter" that was on the car.

I had a lot of time to look at the plumbing under the manifold lately and decided I dont think the crankcase vent is up to my standards - youre just routing oil vapor back into the intake with the OBD1 setup I have, which over time means gunk accumulating in there (present in the old intake boot). I havent figured it out yet but I will probably weld a nipple onto the dipstick and run a similar system to the OBD2 CCV (either with the OEM part, or an aftermarket AOS plumbed back to the dipstick to reciculate the condensed oil). I tried to buy a euro S50B32 air oil separator (they ran a different, and what I believe to be superior system from looking at diagrams) - unfortunately this part is no longer available.

Lastly my inspection had been up while the car was off the road, so I took a pass at that and failed. The exhaust on the car now has no resonator (but has a cat), and while I dont consider it to be overly loud, it is definitely raspy and combined with cam lope, scares inspectors off (for the record MA has what seems to be a discretionary "loud exhaust" limit which I think is bullshit, but thats another story). The car also has no windshield washer sprayers, so Ill have to rig some up. Both minor things - the station I went to could have cut me some slack but I can fix these things. I have most of what I need to fab a 3" Stainless single-tube exhaust, so maybe this is the push I need to finally do it...I wont need it done soon since the car will be off the road in a month or so anyway. I plan to run this exhaust with the current drivetrain, but spec'd it and am building it to be compatible with a turbo setup in mind. It will be all v-band joints, and have a removable center section with a hi-flow cat and resonator that I can remove if I ever run anti-lag/race the car and want less restriction.

Wish I took some more pics, but thats it for now!
                  Last edited by low_&_loud; 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Probably one of the last times Ill be able to grab some [crappy iphone] pictures before I need to put the stock wheels back on for storage so I grabbed a couple pictures. Makes me realize how badly I want to lower the front to make the fender gap uniform front to back!

Gonna miss it during the winter!
                    sigpic

Comment

Awesome little read! I'll be sure to follow this one, keep it up!

Comment

Every time I hear "steeze" I puke a little.

Really dig the delphin though.
                        Hank Ahrens
                        1984 Alpine Coupe
                        1978 911sc

Comment

If thats the biggest complaint so far, Im doing OK... haha. Started as a joke when I joined instagram, guess it stuck.

No real update on the E30 for now...happy to have found indoor storage for it to keep it out of the New England weather until April or so, but as it turns out we barely have any snow here and I could have kept it around to tinker with.

Going to gather parts and plan for overhauls of certain subsystems when I can get it back into the garage for now, as well as chip away at some other projects Ive got going in the basement ('75 RD250 basketcase I'm attempting to revive).
                          -Brakes - the brakes have always sketched me out in this car. Most likely needs caliper guide bushings, definitely stainless soft lines, the pedal just feels soft and crappy...not sure what booster is in it but maybe its a factor.
                          -Shifter - bushings are completely blown out, I have the parts to rebuild but need an E36 DSSR to go with the G3230, as well as a short shifter of some kind.
                          -Steering - I had a Z3 rack in the black car and miss how awesome it was. Ill do this in combination with wheel bearings, bushings, tie rod ends, etc when I have it apart for brakes.
                          -Interior - the drivers side cardinal seat I have has no rails, and no attempt I have made to swap comfort rails onto it has worked (they are not the same, despite what Ive been told) - going to source a beat up sport seat to swap rails onto mine. Also none of my gauges work, which is the result of a crappy harness splice and while that is another project in and of itself, Ill list it here.
                          - Misc fixes - throwout bearing is clicking and in need of help, clutch feels like it has seen better days - may upgrade since I do have plans for boost down the road, oil filter housing is leaking, and I need some kind of air/oil separator as I alluded to earlier.

The list goes on. I will eventually get every system up to some semblance of street/track prep as I plan on running NEHA hillclimbs with the car when I think its up to the task, as well as some trackdays and maybe a lil drifting since Ive always wanted to try an organized event.

My biggest problem for the time being is shop space. Im fortunate enough to wrench in my parents garage from time to time, but I dont like tying up their space, and cant leave the car incapacitated there for long enough to tackle major projects. Been looking into renting space as the housing market here is crazy and I still enjoy living near Boston/renting, so a garage isnt in the picture just yet, though its creeping into the forefront of my mind more and more.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey man, nice car. Seems like we have some pretty similar issues with our 24V swaps. I see you are in/near Boston; I happen to have a spare sport seat rail setup that i'd be willing to let go cheap! Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

That would be awesome dude! Ill shoot you a PM to figure it out!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X