No announcement yet.

Burgy the Eta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came to my senses. Sold the Alfa to buy a replacement Volvo for my daughter (yeah that one in the pic has a blown HG...tired of fixing the thing), and still had enough left over to paint Burgy.

All trim removed. Tailights and front/rear windshields coming out too - just left them in until I drove the car to the paint shop (just up the road).

Comment

Well...painter experienced primer lifting after initial body prep and primer. We'll have to go close to bare metal to get primer to adhere. He'd sanded through 2 layers of respray but apparently it has been repainted 3 times.

Fun part trying to figure out BMW paint code. I think it is 199. There is a Burgundrot Metallic II that is code 214, but I think it is for 87 model year only.

Should be finished up next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
        Well...painter experienced primer lifting after initial body prep and primer. We'll have to go close to bare metal to get primer to adhere. He'd sanded through 2 layers of respray but apparently it has been repainted 3 times.

Fun part trying to figure out BMW paint code. I think it is 199. There is a Burgundrot Metallic II that is code 214, but I think it is for 87 model year only.

Should be finished up next week.

E30zone has all the e30 paint codes iirc
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
        Originally posted by Northern
        beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
        Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
        Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
        '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
        Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Burgy has new paint as of Friday PM. John the painter will let it cure for a few days then wet sand and compound. Then it is reassembly time for me.

Note paint is actually b-rot not black LOL

Area right in front of rear wheel on this side was the worst part. John seems to have got it nice and straight. He certainly put a lot of time into body prep!

Comment

Ordered a bunch of seals and trim including front/rear windshield seals/chrome trim, inner window seals, various trim clips and body hardware. Will also replace front windshield with a new one.

Also got new plug wires, NGK plugs and the valve adjuster tool. I am going to adjust the valves tighter to compensate for the age of the engine. I've seen other threads where that helped quiet things down a lot.

I swapped a portable generator that I never use for a lower mileage M20B27 long block with all accessories and a rebuilt head. I will clean up and reseal the engine. Next year we'll pull the engine, upgrade/update all A/C components (including the missing ones) and paint the bay while everything is out.

I've PMd Stitch for a quote on some front seat covers in Pearl Beige as well. Will hunt for some period correct 15-in wheels, too. Right now I am leaning towards BBS Mahles with polished lips and Nogaro or gold centers.

As you can tell I've decided that Burgy is a keeper, and will pour too much money into an old eta Bimmer LOL

Comment

Great work. Hope to see you around town.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                Great work. Hope to see you around town.
                Sounds good. Will likely try to make C&C in August.

Body is painted, cleared, sanded and buffed. Really hard to make out the B-rot on the camera.

In direct sun it looks rust:

On the shady side it looks like Malaga burgundy:

Hood and trunk outer surfaces painted last night. Will be sanded and buffed on Saturday so I should get the car back then. Woo hoo.

Gonna try to strip anodized aluminum trim with EZ Off and steel wool, then wet sand and polish. Wish me luck. I don't want to put dull faded trim on such nice paint.

Comment

Couple of quick pics. Still need to install driver's grille when I replace broken hood cable. I'll take better shots this weekend.

Comment

Looks awesome, can I ask how much the paint job cost with all the prep? I will be going there soon.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

$3k down to bare metal sort of (see primer lift issue) PPG base + clear.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!! I was thinking $5000, I will take $3k!
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Your car looks great! That's exactly what I'm aiming for.

I'm thinking of doing as much as I can, including sanding, to save some money. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

I didn't have the skill or patience to try any of the body work. Paint was just...horrible.

Not perfect but a lot better :)

Had dragging brakes so I put a new master cylinder in. Problem solved.

Also adjusted valves to .09 and installed new plug wires and spark plugs. So much quieter and it doesn't sound like a sewing machine. I can actually hear my exhaust leak now lol.

Comment

Well car actually needed a new brake booster to remedy the brake dragging issue, but that is all sorted now.

Picked up a set of 15" Hartge (mfg in Japan) for a great deal and had my buddy respray them. Not quite as nice as the 16s I had to sell, but I am very happy. These have spokes that match the profile of the 16s better (slight outward, convex curve) versus the OE 15s that I have seen that have a more concave face (spokes curve inward).

Found some OZ caps that fit the center bore. Since some Hartges were made by OZ I feel like I'm not cheating that bad.

Car is a bit filthy, and I promise to take some better pics once the weather clears up and I can detail it.

Comment

Working...
                              X