X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323i E21 Daily

This is the ups and downs of my E21 ownership

About the car:
    -Grey market 323i brought over to Colorado in 1994, this car was federalized with US spec stuff like the terrible rear reflectors and has holes cut out where US bumpers were mounted.
    -M20B25 swapped in to the original getrag 245, 3.93lsd
    -bilstein sport shocks and bav auto lowering springs, st sway bars
    -factory E21 recaros
    -Extremely awesome Opal Grun Metallic Color
    -came with ESM's but had a ecs tuning spacer issue were they would wobble when driven! so I sold them.
    -has rare bolt up supersprint 323i mufflers
    -had general E21 rust issues but was better than most E21s I've seen
    -260,000 miles and still counting
    -had a terrible start issue but was fixed with a new FPR

when I first had it for a few months, such an awesome car pulled hard and looked great while doing it:

Not a fan of the poke the 15x8 ESMs had on the front, for anyone that knows E21s have a weird front offset of 13et so finding wheels that fit well is a bitch

Bavarians of feather park together;)

Then this happened

Like any stupid teenager would do I took a turn to fast in the rain and found out what that famous E21 oversteer was all about, I tried to correct and power out but ended up hitting a wall, before any cops showed up I was out of there limping it home with a cracked header loud as hell
    after this I was mortified for a week straight of what I had done to such a clean car. I pulled it apart the next day and found out no frame or suspension damage just mounting damage, and being a poor college student I didnt have space or time to swap over the car so I did what any sane person would do and go to the junkyard and cut up a E21 and weld my car back together.

Just my luck a local yard had an E21, and anyone not in Cali that has looked for E21s in yards knows that they show up every 6 months if your lucky.

The donor

cut this poor car up it wasn't that far gone either, but it's corner will live on in another car:)

I drove around mad max style for awhile it looked really aggressive with the ESMs, you can sorta see some of the damage to the mounting points.

the piece

fixing the damage

In the end it all lined up very well and everything ended up bolting right were it should very happy with how it turned out although it's not perfect and some may argue about cutting up such a big part of the car it was mostly mounting points for headlights and me wanting the car to be whole again.

Spray bombed it and stopped some rust

mad maxxed

winter was on its way and I was going to drive it through the Colorado winter so I started with eliminating any rust

winter beater status, with E30 weaves and 185 snows

found a guy with the valence I needed, had to have it shipped via greyhound, this thing was a bitch to find but it was cheap and was what I needed. Makes you miss how easy it is to get E30 parts

winter fun, this thing was a trooper through the snow never had any problems either, except BMWs terrible E28 and E21 heater design were it only goes to the windshield and your feet, your hands freeze the whole drive :hitler:

this happened

which led to this

then I found these to holes aswell, these were really odd spots but Im glad I found them

sorry don't have the pictures of them welded up, it really sucked when I had these holes because I still had to drive it with all the interior out and and giant holes in the floor.

At this point the car was coming together, I ordered a couple spray matched paint cans off paintscratch.com at 25$ a can, the fenders barely match but its fine for now, I'm poor lol so everything is diy. In the future I want a professional to atleast respray the fenders. the front valence turned out pretty good it matched better than the fender. Also picked up some rare Hella E21 big small halogen headlights for 4 cylinder cars that just had the big single headlights. I love german ebay.

The rear parcel shelf was falling apart so I went all vwortex on it and actually like it a lot

backseat all in and clean

Gave the center console the hipster treatment

Interior shot with my new Condor speed shop knob hooked up to a z3 1.9 shift rod, I really love the Condor knob

Bought some 15x7 et12 rikens from the 80's

refinished with duplicolor wheel paint

went to a local cars and coffee meetup and an RS7 parked next to me so I couldn't resist

met up with some clowns

unfiltered raw lambo ass

got a local junkyard score at 20$! a real bbs valence, I soon sent it off to the spray booth aka my backyard

Got it mounted and bought a shitty euro bumper off a guy on ye old bimmerforums for 50$. this is how it sits today, it looked as though it wouldn't ever look good again after my pope the tires moment but I'm glad that it had come this far and is still running strong at a 260,000 miles.

thanks for reading
    Last edited by ColoradoBMW; 07-12-2014, 01:10 AM.

wait a minute you bought at 260k miles and still today at 260k miles. your odo is broken.... ahhaha
    looks awesome.
    1997 Audi A4 1.8t 5-Speed (bamboo metallic): ST Coilovers, Sport Edition 17x7.5 Et35, 215/45/17 Kumho AST, Panzer, Depo Ecodes, 55w 5k bulbs, Magnaflow 14815, Res delete, JHM Vent Boost gauge
    2001.5 Audi s4 2.7tt 6-Speed (Imola Yellow)
    <<Flickr>>

Comment

Nice find on the bbs valance. Looking even better now then it did before.
      Current:
      1989 325i
      1988 M3
      1987 325ic
      Past:
      2001 330ci
      2001 M3

Comment

I bought it with 251,000 so it's working, not sure if someone fixed the gears or what but it somehow still works

Comment

Sexorz

Comment

love it!

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

nice job

Great job at saving a nice e21! You have some talent in the metal department!
              jm

Comment

That e21 323i will look good when you are done with it. Your car took me down remembry lane when I had my old 82 323i.
                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Very nice. I like the color. My only complaint would be the rusty window trim. You don't want to shadow line?
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        Very nice. I like the color. My only complaint would be the rusty window trim. You don't want to shadow line?
                        its not rusty just faded like all old European cars with lock strips on the windows, Ill get them replaced someday lol, I actually like all the chrome around the car gives it a vintage look

Comment

Those grills and headlights. They are so cool.
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

That read was fantastic. I want to see this e21 in person. My room mate has always loved the e21, I hope this inspires him to buy one. I love the color, I think it's fantastic; very e21. I actually posted a photo of your car today in the "this is pictures" thread. Gorgeous.

I really like what you did with the wheels, that must have taken some time to get them cleaned up. Polishing lips is a bitch.

I also like that Zender valance, I think that's my favorite of the e21 valences.

Let me know if you need anything from Germany. My mate over there has a good friend who has a fully restored e21, so he can find you any part you need.

Not to steal your thread, I just know it's difficult to find parts sometimes, and ebay.de is difficult to navigate if you can't speak german, and don't have a shipping address in Germany.

Comment

Thanks guys, nice to see some E21 love around here

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                              That read was fantastic. I want to see this e21 in person. My room mate has always loved the e21, I hope this inspires him to buy one. I love the color, I think it's fantastic; very e21. I actually posted a photo of your car today in the "this is pictures" thread. Gorgeous.

I really like what you did with the wheels, that must have taken some time to get them cleaned up. Polishing lips is a bitch.

I also like that Zender valance, I think that's my favorite of the e21 valences.

Let me know if you need anything from Germany. My mate over there has a good friend who has a fully restored e21, so he can find you any part you need.

Not to steal your thread, I just know it's difficult to find parts sometimes, and ebay.de is difficult to navigate if you can't speak german, and don't have a shipping address in Germany.
                              wow! that's awesome to hear thanks man really appreciate it! That E21 is extremely nice hope mine reaches that point someday. If you ever come to Colorado let me know Ill let you drive it. 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X